FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1550730-frequent-flyer-program-join-help-here.html)

Mwenenzi Feb 11, 2014 1:45 am

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

A number of threads have been started by members asking for guidance on which frequent flyer mileage program they should join.

After emails with the moderators, in order to help users, we have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow other people to offer assistance-advice-opinion.
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.
- what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
- where do you live?
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
- etc, etc, etc
(above copied in part from a post by dunk)

There is a big difference between a frequent flyer and a frequent spender getting frequent flyer miles from a credit card. For questions about which is the best credit card to sign up for, to get frequent flyer miles, please do not post here, but refer to other threads on this topic. Credit Card Programs click this link and Which Forums Relate to Credit Card Topics?

Similar sticky threads
If you are sure a Star Alliance or OneWorld Alliance or Skyteam airline FFP is for you, please post in those forums, as more Star/OW/Sky experienced people are likely to answer your question.
Star Alliance forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...post-here.html
OneWorld Alliance forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onew...help-here.html
Skyteam Alliance forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyt...i-sign-up.html

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply:
(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:

Major airline alliances are
www.staralliance.com web site and the Flyertalk forum Star Alliance
www.oneworld.com web site and the Flyertalk forum OneWorld Alliance
www.skyteam.com web site and the Flyertalk forum Skyteam

Mwenenzi Feb 11, 2014 1:46 am

Frequent Flyer Programs (FFP) are not equal.
1 (one) mile/point of FFP’s are not equal (just like currencies)
Each airline FFP can have different benefits from status.
Each airline FFP has different rules for earning and retaining status.
Each airline FFP has different rules for earning miles/points.
Each airline FFP has different rules to stop miles/points from expiring.
Each airline FFP has different rules for using (burning) those miles/points for awards and different copay $$ fees.
Each airline FFP has different rules for upgrades & different copay $$ fees.
Each airline FFP has different rules for lounge access (own & other airlines)

Useful summary Overview of Frequent Flyer Programs by FLYGVA

From a post on 2 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 20172007)
< snip>
To get your feet wet, start by reading the sticky threads in this and other forums. What you need to do is look at your flying (and credit card, if applicable) patterns and preferences, then pick a program that works best for you. While miles/points aren't interchangeable, you can usually use one airline's miles/points for redemptions on that airline's partners - either in the same alliance or in some cases unaligned partners - or for non-flying activities. Each airline has different "earning and burning" characteristics - how miles/points are earned and used, and you'll need to investigate these carefully, as the differences can be significant and expensive (or beneficial) to you depending on your choices.

One important thing to note is that miles/points earning and redemption are only a part of the whole FF business. A big factor in choosing your plan preferences is whether you'd fly enough with your chosen airline(s) in order to reach elite frequent flyer status. With elite status comes various perks - access to lounges, expedited passage through airports, seat selections, upgrades, baggage allowances, etc. - that can be as important if not more important to frequent travellers. So those factors also need to be understood as you make your choices.

It involves homework and research, but the rewards can be very significant, well worth the effort. (Or so many of us think. Of course we can be both delusional and exhibit OCD symptoms in this regard. Welcome to the madhouse.)

Earning depends on fare booking class (which is different to cabin)
For earning miles the fare bucket (a letter A to Z) is very important and not just the cabin you fly in (first, business or economy). Some low cost fares can earn nil miles/points in your FFP, especially if not flown on your own airline.
This web site gives info on redeemable earning Where to Credit | How Many Miles | Every Frequent Flyer Program (but no idea how accurate: use at your own risk). Status earning is harder to easily determine.

Some ffp's allow pooling or free transfers to others subject to ffp t&c's http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...e-pooling.html

It's better to have status with the airline you fly with most - it just works better, and you should get preference for any upgrades or during service issues. Airlines tend to give members of their own frequent flyer program better service, than members of other frequent flyer programs. The airline you fly with the most will often have inherent home scheme advantages. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline. As a very general rule, it's best to maintain status on the airline you mostly fly, other things being equal. Often status on the carrier being flown gets you access to special seats or even eligibility for upgrades. It will matter more than alliance status during IROPs and might give you higher priority for OPUPs.
Status: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onew...l#post27282849 May not /will not be up to date.

Award flights with your airline, and its FFP partners (alliance airlines and non-alliance) are subject to availability & the rules of your airlines FFP. Alliance airline FFP's do not have the same non-alliance airline partners. Award flights are not free. Some can have very high cash co-payments.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...aluations.html

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Airline ABC might give you miles for it, while Airline XYZ might not or give fewer miles. However Airline ABC might charge much more miles and/or cash surcharges for the redemption that you want than does Airline XYZ. Earn to burn is what matters. 10,000 miles in one ffp may get you a longer award flight than 15,000 miles in another ffp.

With airline partners you can fly an airline and may be able to collect frequent flyer miles in another airline frequent flyer program. Some low cost fares can earn nil miles/points in your FFP, especially if not flown on your own airline. That said, a good indicator is always to look at the program of the airline you are flying with and check the partners flights you can credit to it. The option to credit flights is typically a reciprocal benefit between FFPs. But you always have to double check on the website of the program you want to credit to. (thanks to a post by cityflyer369)

Expiry For low miles/points balance it is better to keep all in one FFP, and not have multiple accounts. Many FFP's have expiry rules and it will happen if you are not careful. A very good summary about expiry of OneWorld miles/avios/points in post 554 (updated 13 Sept 2014). A little more OW information in post 573. And for many airlines in Frequent Flyer Mileage Expiry by KiwiFlyer (01 Feb 2010) More here in Airline Miles Expiration Policies Roundup in The Points Guy blog (April 17, 2013). Many of the airline ffp sub forums have a thread on simple ways to keep miles from expiring.
Link--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...-t-expire.html

Effectively transfer/conversion of miles/points from 1 airline ffp to another airlines ffp is not possible or practicable. Transfer via www.points.com or a hotel loyality program is sometimes possible, but the conversion rate is unbelievably horrendous. For some ffp's there can be indirect ways via hotel frequent-guest programs, but these typical result in a significant reduction in the number of miles that ultimately end up in the other airline's FFP.

Retro credit of flights taken before signing up to a FFP varies by airline
For many you need to be a signed up member at the date of the flight.
Some information
Keep the physical boarding passes.

Upgrades
For upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your frequent flyer programme (no codeshares) with your airlines upgrade instrument (e.g. SWU, miles) or complementary with status (if applicable). All subject to the t&c's of your FFP and your paid ticket. Low cost tickets are often not eligible for upgrades.

However as is the way with FFP's there are some upgrade exceptions

Non flying earning by credit card, rental cars, hotel stays, shopping, on line surveys, etc are a good way of earning and for keeping accounts alive for many people.

Individual airlines FFP are here Airlines Mileage Programs

Flame-free airline threads on FlyerTalk are listed in post 7 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...esk-forum.html

Star Alliance - Home - Star Alliance web site and the Flyertalk forum Star Alliance

Non aligned airlines include
- Emirates
- Ethihad
- many others

For advice on the intricacies of each Star Alliance airline frequent flyer program [FFP] please refer to the airline web sites and the airline specific forums (as blue links below)
- Air Canada
- Aegean
- Air New Zealand
- Asiana
- Avianca
- LufthansaAustrian-Swiss Brussels LOT
- United Airlines
- Scandinavian Airlines
- Singapore
- Thai Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- more to follow

For advice on the intricacies of each OneWorld airline frequent flyer program [FFP] please refer to the airline web sites and the airline specific forums (as blue links below)
- Air Berlin Topbonus OW membership 20 March 2012 Bankrupt & shutdown Oct 2018
- Alaska (a good FFP for many people due the airline partners)
- American AAdvantage
- British Airways - Executive Club
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Finnair Plus
- Iberia Plus
- JAL Mileage Bank
- LAN LANPASS Left Oneworld 30 April 2020
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club OW membership 31 October 2013
Other OneWorld airlines do not have separate forums on FT.
Malaysian & Srilankin Airline posts here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-programs-470/

For advice on the intricacies of each SkyTeam Alliance airline frequent flyer program [FFP] please refer to the airline web sites and the airline specific forums (as blue links below)
- Air France
- Alitalia
- Delta
- KLM
- Korean Air
Other SkyTeam airlines do not have separate forums on FT.

Awards assistance tools (use at your own risk. May not be up to date. These are not recommendations)

Mwenenzi Feb 11, 2014 1:46 am

++++
These threads on a very similar topic here in Information Desk forum and other forums

outsider8u Feb 13, 2014 1:11 am

Dear all, thanks in advance for any help you can give. This is my first post and I'm new to this whole world and forum although I have been racking up miles and paying for trips for the past few years.

I live in Iowa which makes my home airport DSM for the most part but a pretty cheap flight can usually get my to ORD MSP or DFW which is the usual stops elsewhere.

I probably fly less than or close to 25,000 miles a year and value award flights and economy over status.
I currently have mostly gotten my points by credit card offers and then redeeming them for domestic flights which may or may not be the best use of my flights, but it's just what I have done.
I don't know how much one has to fly to gain meaningful status so I don't know the answer to that quesion.
I am also wondering if anyone has any input on which alliance to go with. The places I want to go are limitless (I'm a pretty casual leisure flyer with not too many concrete plans) I mostly am looking for affordable and cheap tickets anywhere for a new experience rather than status ect.. those would be nice bonuses though.
Right now I don't have a preference of who I fly, but I have about 30k points with both American and USairways as well as tickets with southwest. I have gone through BA, Delta, and United (using their CC deals) but don't have any points left.
Other ways to earn points would be with hotel stays or gas as I still live at home and have very little bills. Most of my time not working offshore on an oil rig I spend traveling to see friends all over the US/world.
I'm sure there are a host of other questions to narrow down this but that's a good base for now. I am basically looking for a little advice on which carrier(s) seem like viable options if I wanted to become more loyal and try to utilize one alliance or FFP to get the most bang for the buck. Also, any suggestions on how to get more FFP besides CC or which would be a good option based on that being the way I'm getting most of mine please let me know.

Mwenenzi Feb 13, 2014 6:00 pm

outsider8u Welcome to the forum

If not flying often often better to buy flights on price and/or convenience and not any freq flyer miles you may (or may not) get. With airline alliances/partners you can travel on 1 airline, but collect miles to another, subject to the FFP's terms & conditions. FFP's are for the long term: not just a few random flights

US Airways and AA have merged. Will be known as AA and part of the OneWorld alliance. In time your US Airway miles will become AA miles. Details & dates have not yet been published by AA. But it has been stated conversion will be 1 to 1.

If you now travel the world also worth joining a Star Alliance airline FFP. Despite the recent miles devaluation, United is good for many living in the USA

Alaska is also a good FFP with many partner airlines. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners

MSPeconomist Feb 14, 2014 4:18 am

In the OP, why the emphasis on oneworld? Or was this just copied from another forum?

Note that miles flown over 50,000 can matter very much in the selection of a program. On AA, making EXP (100,000) versus Plat (50,000) makes a HUGE difference. Similarly, on UA, getting 1K (100,000) is HUGE, but UA had a level at 75,000 and is even better if one can qualify for their unpublished GS level based rooghly on revenue. DL has a level at 75,000 and an even better level at 125,000. On some foreign carrier FF programs like LH, 200,000 miles is a magic number.

Please don't fail to consider non alliance programs like AS, EK, etc.

jriggsaz Feb 21, 2014 2:27 pm

PHX flier, move to AA or United?

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker. I appreciate all the valuable info on here and I need some input from you all.

I'm based in PHX and I fly US Air domestically and United internationally. I try to stay US Air but I travel to France, Portugal and Japan and United is a better option. It's worked out well since they're both Star Alliance but now I'm not sure what to do. I'm Gold with US Air but not even a Silver with United. I'd like to stay US Air for my status but I like Star Alliance as the international choices are better. The biggest problem is that United out of PHX isn't great for my domestic routes (LA, Orlando, etc) and the terminal here is terrible.

I don't want to split my miles between Star Alliance and oneworld. Any advice?

Thanks!

teese35 Feb 21, 2014 2:51 pm

If I were you, I would go with AA you will have a lot more options now internationally then the old US had.

aztimm Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jriggsaz (Post 22392783)
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker. I appreciate all the valuable info on here and I need some input from you all.

I'm based in PHX and I fly US Air domestically and United internationally. I try to stay US Air but I travel to France, Portugal and Japan and United is a better option. It's worked out well since they're both Star Alliance but now I'm not sure what to do. I'm Gold with US Air but not even a Silver with United. I'd like to stay US Air for my status but I like Star Alliance as the international choices are better. The biggest problem is that United out of PHX isn't great for my domestic routes (LA, Orlando, etc) and the terminal here is terrible.

I don't want to split my miles between Star Alliance and oneworld. Any advice?

Thanks!

Welcome to Flyertalk jriggsaz!

We actually have a fairly new forum here on Flyertalk called Information Desk for queries such as yours. I will move your post there.
There are members from across the whole of FT (-v- here where it is mostly US FF'ers) so you should get a wider perspective.

Please let me know if you have any questions or how else I can help.

aztimm

alecbarron Feb 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by teese35 (Post 22392907)
If I were you, I would go with AA you will have a lot more options now internationally then the old US had.

I disagree that the new US with AA will have better international options than the old US. Star Alliance has a better network for going to France, Portugal, and Japan which are places OP likes to travel to.

That being said, I agree AA is the way to go because you'll have better options for your domestic routes to LA and Orlando. You don't want to be connecting all the time just to earn UA miles.

jriggsaz Mar 1, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards moving to AA.

Mwenenzi Mar 1, 2014 8:02 pm

May be of interest
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

unmanaged Mar 8, 2014 7:02 pm

Looking for FF and Hotel rewards

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:good award redemption rates, better award access
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: <25,000. 2 flights, 4 sectors
Reply: Cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Pleasure
(5) Which routes do you fly most often
Reply: Asia
Reply: SEA
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply:Emirates, I have 28000 miles
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:Any

I'm looking for options which would get me good rewards based travel to anywhere in the world. I'm very passionate about travel, been to most of the states in US.

I do fly back home every year on Emirates. I have been flying on emirates as its more convenient. I'm open to changing this for better rewards.

I have been reading about MS lately and can do 3000 to 4000 MS every month.

I don't have any of the high rewarding CCs like SPG or Citi AA. I'm planning to apply based on some guidance.

If my answers are too open ended, I'll be more than happy to get guidance for my next goals. I would love to work towards a trip to Italy/France this year or next year. If I can club that with my yearly trip to India, that would work too.

Thanks for reading.

Mwenenzi Mar 8, 2014 7:26 pm

Welcome to the forum

AS is a good FFP. It has EK and a good range of other airlines as partners
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners

With 2 flights a year going to take a long time to earn miles for an award.
Check the expiry of your EK miles. EK miles expire 3 years from when they were earned (regardless of account activity).

( I have asked the moderators to move this to the original/master thread. Helps the next person when asking a question)

xmlsoa Mar 15, 2014 5:13 pm

SSA - Salvador, Brazil: Which are best airlines and alliances to collect miles on?

SSA - Salvador, Brazil: Which are best airlines and alliances to collect miles on?

My friend works in the Geological/ Marine Research space and does a 5 week on and off thing.

Home base is above. The travel and projects keep changing 3-4 months to different Vessel and world location.

I think that being able to redeem the MILES for:
- International Flights (Business or Coach) - Brazil to US, EU, India would be the best benefit.
- UPGRADES to Business (a second?)

Thoughts and suggestions?

I am guessing the TAM + LAN > Connection with One World would be one of the top?

Which other alliance would be a good second?

Primary & Secondary recommendations are welcome.

flyerhog Mar 15, 2014 5:37 pm

I definitely recommend LATAM. Not only does LAN has good connections all throughout South America, but AA/BA/IB is awesome for going to Europe/North America.

Mwenenzi Mar 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Does your friend have a choice of airlines for the 5 week on and off?
What airline & class of travel on the 5 week FIFO ?
You can fly 1 airline but collect miles in another

Airline FFP will depend on objectives
Have a look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

Jhensley1607 Mar 15, 2014 7:17 pm

I'm heading to SSA tomorrow for my 18th trip in two years (from ORD). TAM would be your best bet, but be aware most international flights go through GRU or GIG. AA flies directly to SSA from the US, no other US domestic does.

szehui Mar 16, 2014 7:44 am

Hi all, and thanks for the help in advance. I'm on DL SkyMiles right now, but wondering if I should change.

For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
Reply:
Getting to award travel for the family is most important. The odd upgrade every once in a while is nice, but just gravy.

Reply:
I'm 1-2x a month, definitely a sector flyer. My destinations seem to alternate between SLC and SDF. At 1 trip a month, I'm at 48 segments/year.

Reply:
Economy - cheapest available when I'm informed I need to be somewhere. However, sometimes I only get about a week of notice that I need to be somewhere.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:
Travelling mainly for work. Work strongly prefers Delta and UA.

Reply:
Mainly US domestic. Destinations are SDF and SLC.

Reply: RIC

Reply:
No status anywhere, a small number of miles I'm willing to walk away from on SkyMiles and AAdvantage (or redeem on a small item in the various shopping portals). I do have a Delta Gold SkyMiles American Express, that I don't use for anything (Hyatt Gold Passport card works better for me).

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:
Delta appears to have the best schedule out of RIC to anywhere.

Mwenenzi Mar 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by szehui (Post 22533000)
Hi all, and thanks for the help in advance. I'm on DL SkyMiles right now, but wondering if I should change.
< snip >
Reply:
No status anywhere, a small number of miles I'm willing to walk away from on SkyMiles and AAdvantage (or redeem on a small item in the various shopping portals). I do have a Delta Gold SkyMiles American Express, that I don't use for anything (Hyatt Gold Passport card works better for me).

48 segments is a reasonable number of flights. AS could be used to collect ff miles from DL & AA flights. No idea if 48 segments would get you AS status. AS have a good range of partner airlines. But as with any FFP this can change.
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners
Do you have a UA freq flyer account for your UA flights?

xmlsoa Mar 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Lot of answers and information posted INLINE in BLUE.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 22326735)
A number of threads have been started by members asking for guidance on which frequent flyer mileage program they should join.

After emails with the moderators, in order to help users, we have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow other people to offer assistance-advise.

For questions about which is the best credit card to sign up for, to get frequent flyer miles, please do not post here, but refer to other threads on this topic

Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.
- what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
- where do you live?
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
- etc, etc, etc
(above copied in part from a post by dunk)

There is a big difference between a frequent flyer and a frequent spender getting freq fyer miles from a credit card.

Questions
Reply:
I think for HEALTH REASONS being able to redeem the AWARD MILES for (Business Class) RT Back home to Brazil or to US, EU, India would be the best benefit:
- International Flights (Business or Coach)
AND/ OR

When traveling on company agency bought COACH tickets
- Free International Upgrades to Business Class
- UPGRADE to Business Class using AWARD MILES

- Status based privileges come after as a nice to have.

Reply:
Company travel every 5 weeks ON/ OFF Schedule - RT - 10-15,000 miles on average per trip through 10 weeks
Estimate approx 52 weeks/ 10 weeks = 5 x 10k to 15k miles.

Reply:
Company Agency purchased coach - Not sure if its Economy or cheapest. Will revert back if we can find more 'Fare Class' information.

Reply:
Mostly work / company purchased and would like to leverage that towards pleasure.

Reply:
Brazil (SSA) to SHIP/ MARINE VESSEL at any location in the world - Currently vessel off US Gulf Coast via IAH.

Reply:
SSA - Salvador, BA, Brazil

Reply:
Miles are banked across a few and more middle eastern airlines. Details to be obtained.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:
Will post more information based on above with more details.

Similar sticky threads
If you are sure a Star Alliance or OneWorld Alliance airline FFP is for you, please post in those forums, as more Star/OW experienced people are likely to answer your question.
Star Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
OneWorld Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

www.staralliance.com web site and the Flyertalk forum Star Alliance

Originally Posted by xmlsoa (Post 22530797)

My friend works in the Geological/ Marine Research space and does a 5 week on and off thing.

Home base is above. The travel and projects keep changing 3-4 months to different Vessel and world location.

I think that being able to redeem the MILES for:
- International Flights (Business or Coach) - Brazil to US, EU, India would be the best benefit.
- UPGRADES to Business (a second?)

Thoughts and suggestions?

I am guessing the TAM + LAN > Connection with One World would be one of the top?

Which other alliance would be a good second?

Primary & Secondary recommendations are welcome.

Originally Posted by flyerhog (Post 22530885)
I definitely recommend LATAM. Not only does LAN has good connections all throughout South America, but AA/BA/IB is awesome for going to Europe/North America.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 22531013)
Does your friend have a choice of airlines for the 5 week on and off?
What airline & class of travel on the 5 week FIFO ?
You can fly 1 airline but collect miles in another

Airline FFP will depend on objectives
Have a look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

- Usually Economy/ Coach - Not sure which Fare Class it is. But can check and get back.
- "You can fly 1 airline but collect miles in another" - Is this a question or answer? That is the objective.. to deposit the miles to right FFP's from all connected/ alliance flights.

Originally Posted by Jhensley1607 (Post 22531187)
I'm heading to SSA tomorrow for my 18th trip in two years (from ORD). TAM would be your best bet, but be aware most international flights go through GRU or GIG. AA flies directly to SSA from the US, no other US domestic does.

Yes. :) AA has a flight from MIA to SSA.

Mwenenzi Mar 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by xmlsoa (Post 22534724)
When travelling on company agency bought COACH tickets
- Free International Upgrades to Business Class
- UPGRADE to Business Class using AWARD MILES

That is probably unrealistic if travelling on cheapest economy tickets on a range of airlines, especially if flying a non USA based airline.

From post 2

For upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your freq flyer programme (no codeshares) with your airlines upgrade instrument (e.g. SWU). All subject to the t&c's of your FFP and your paid ticket. Low cost tickets are often not eligible for upgrades.
However as is the way with FFP's there are some upgrade exceptions
- on AA/BA/IB with higher priced economy fares using AA/BA/IB upgrade instruments
- on some BA tickets with Asia Miles
- on some Star Alliance airlines with higher priced Y & B fare
- on some Skyteam airlines as this blue link
- Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS
- others as listed/updated from time to time

Originally Posted by xmlsoa (Post 22534724)
"You can fly 1 airline but collect miles in another" - Is this a question or answer? That is the objective. To deposit the miles to right FFP's from all connected/ alliance flights.

A statement. A surprising number of people are not aware of earning/burning on FFP partner airlines.

Best if you get more details of the airlines flown and existing FFP's.
If upgrades are an objective put miles to the FFP where an upgrade is a possibility (flights marketed & operated by the airline).
Reward cost (miles) & reward co-pay fees vary between FFP's even in the same alliance

xmlsoa Mar 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 22534847)
That is probably unrealistic if travelling on cheapest economy tickets on a range of airlines, especially if flying a non USA based airline.

From post 2

A statement. A surprising number of people are not aware of earning/burning on FFP partner airlines.

Best if you get more details of the airlines flown and existing FFP's.
If upgrades are an objective put miles to the FFP where an upgrade is a possibility (flights marketed & operated by the airline).
Reward cost (miles) & reward co-pay fees vary between FFP's even in the same alliance

Ok. Will attempt to pull a bunch more of the flight demographics and repost the above.

Mwenenzi Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by xmlsoa (Post 22536257)
Ok. Will attempt to pull a bunch more of the flight demographics and repost the above.

OK I assume this is the same person in another of your threads http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...me-issues.html

Originally Posted by xmlsoa (Post 22530943)
< snip >
I have a friend who just flew on AA between IAH to SSA via MIA - 3 trips since Sept/ Oct 2013.
< snip >
Has never had issues with miles posting to all the following airlines/ miles (even with same Passport with MN/ LN thingy):
- Flying Blue (KLM + AF)
- Lufthansa
- Qatar
- Emirates
- TAM
- GOL
- AZUL

< snip >.

This would have been useful information if it was included in your first post (post 15 above)

xmlsoa Mar 19, 2014 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 22546787)
OK I assume this is the same person in another of your threads http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...me-issues.html

This would have been useful information if it was included in your first post (post 15 above)

Yes. But, I was afraid if I combine the issues then it would confuse people more. So, this would be useful for this THREAD on choosing an FFP or the AA miles related thread?

justpetehere Mar 19, 2014 10:08 am

Hi all,

I'm a SF-based flyer and I've kept DL after moving here (I now know SLC well :)). As a low-cost economy flyer, the combination of MQD + new earning model has made me reconsider.

Right now I'm debating status matching over to Alaska MVP Gold so that I can fly the cheapest of DL+AA+AS and bank miles to one place, plus get basic services on all three (including my #1, extra leg room). I also think I could maintain Virgin America Silver status which would give me direct flights to all my major routes except MSP (where family lives). What do you think?

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP? (In descending order of priority)
#1 Being able to secure extra legroom for my companion and me (6'5" and 6'2") for free
#2 Good award redemption rates and the ability to either 1) transfer from other programs to stock up (e.g., MR/UR) or 2) get a good CC bonus on categories. Would like to be able to redeem for long haul international flights.
#3 Occasional complimentary upgrades (I'm about 75% on DL, but I often fly JFK-SFO which no longer upgrades anyway)
#4 Priority services are nice, though given that credit cards give early boarding, I have precheck, and rarely check a bag, not a huge deal

- I tend to fly 50k-75k (I was DL Platinum last year, DL Gold this year). These are usually long flights. I'm in SF and often fly to the East Coast (e.g., NYC, WAS) or to the midwest (e.g., MSP, ORD), with a couple international flights per year.

- Usually cheapest economy, though occasionally premium economy on int'l tickets, especially if I get a mileage bonus.

- Travel 75% for pleasure, 25% for work and can choose any airline/class within reason.

- US Domestic. Usually SFO-JFK, SFO-IAD/DCA, SFO-MSP

SFO/OAK (occasionally SJC), based on timing and price

- Delta Gold (~400K miles)
- Just matched AA Platinum to try it out for the year (~50k miles)
- US Airways no status (~50k miles)
- BA no status (~100k miles from CC)
- Virgin America - may match status to try for the year (no miles)
- United no status (1,000 or so miles left)

(8) Preferred Airlines
- Delta, Alaska, Virgin America. Even though I'm based in SF, I really can't stand United.

plucesiar Mar 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Best FFP for home base of LAX?

My home airport is LAX, and I can foresee future flights to:

Highly likely:
Vancouver
San Francisco

Maybe:
NYC or some other East Coast city (1-2x per year)
Hong Kong (tops 1x per year)
Germany (tops 1x per year)

Fly mostly for personal travel. I don't care about upgrading to business class or status, just looking for free reward flights.

Based on some research I've been doing, it seems like perhaps Alaskan or American would be better.. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks

coiaflyer Mar 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Welcome to FT.

I agree with your assessment, and think that Alaska and American's mileage plan would be best. Given your travel patterns and preferences I would recommend Alaska. Right now their FFP seems the best bet.

HatAndJacket Mar 23, 2014 10:49 pm

I'd say Alaska Airlines is your best option, but also look into AA and UA... easiest to get and maintain status and you'll be a bigger fish in a smaller pond

welcome to ft

guv1976 Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Note that AA's program permits a free stopover at the North American "gateway" on international awards, so one could fly LAX-JFK/MIA (stopover) - DUS/TXL for as little as 20K AA miles one-way during the off-peak season. In addition, AA's partner Air Berlin offers seasonal nonstop service between LAX and Germany.

However, for free award flights in Economy between LAX and SFO (on AA) or YVR (on AS), British Airways Avios provide the best value.

Mwenenzi Mar 24, 2014 3:56 am

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

tom911 Mar 24, 2014 4:04 am

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket (Post 22576271)
I'd say Alaska Airlines is your best option, but also look into AA and UA.

Just keep in mind the UA spending requirement that now comes along with elite status. Although the poster is not after elite status, if he's going to fly 25K a year it's going to provide things like free baggage and early boarding (which assures overhead space), so UA may not be the place to go unless you can match the spend with the flight miles. Add in that if he does reach 50K a year UA only awards 50% bonus miles while AA awards 100% bonus miles. If his target is free travel, every mile counts.

I'm not up on Alaska tiers so won't comment there.

Tom in Seoul

namdas Mar 24, 2014 5:55 am

Choosing A Frequent Flier Program for UK -> Vietnam

Hello!

We live in the UK and have family in Vietnam (SGN), so generally visit 1-2 times a year. As we have just had our second child, and our first has just hit 2 years so we are now paying almost a full fare for her, I thought it was high time to investigate how we can cut down our spending on airlines with frequent flier programs.

I've been reading, making spreadsheets and scheming for a week or so based on posts here and on headforpoints.com and while it's all been really helpful I'm beginning to find our situation is a bit too specific to base decisions off general advice on which program is best so I thought I'd see if anyone could help clarify my thinking.

The biggest questions are:
- Am I crazy to plan to use points for economy long haul, given we would unlikely ever be able to afford the points for business with kids? Does it make more sense to earn points on the flights to SGN and spend them on EU/Asia short hauls / a blowout holiday to US via Air Lingus or Caribbean via Iberia?
- Air France, KLM + Vietnam Airlines are very fast/convenient for SGN, especially as we could fly from our home airport in Bristol (BRS). Don't know about VN's service but last flight on AF staff gave us a free seat for our (rather tall) infant, moving another passenger, and free champagne in economy so we were a bit starstruck. Have a trip with VN in May so will see how they are - but experience on domestic flights suggest not great!
- Otherwise FlyingBlue not so good for European holidays and Avios are easier to earn in the UK

Generating Points In UK
We've had a Lloyds Avios card for years and enjoyed the reward flight savers in Europe. I run a small business and can see that moving biz spending onto an Amex business card, plus using either a Gold card at home or BA Premium + Clubcard could generate 120-180,000 Avios a year, not including occasional MR / Clubcard transfer bonuses.

Obviously the Amex could still generate FB points and get transfer bonuses but things like the 2-4-1 voucher and tesco clubcard earnings would not be available. Perhaps we could earn 120k MR and use a transfer bonus to FB

Earning Miles On Paid Tickets
We normally buy the cheapest economy tickets we can find. Before the kids were born and when we were poorer we'd even buy flights like LHR-BOM-BKK then get an airasia or similar flight to save a bit here or there. I could be persuaded to pay for flexible tickets to get 100% points if I felt I'd get more value back elsewhere.

Given the number of hubs between the two countries we have the choice of flying Star, OneWorld or Skyteam airlines, or independents like Etihad + Emirates.

Price wise, we have bought AF, Qatar, Gulf (urgh), Emirates, Singapore, Malaysia, Etihad or as above, a cheap return to BKK/KUL/SIN and a low cost carrier so no allegiance to one route. As a result we have also tacked on many holidays/stopovers in South East Asia when visiting family and while we love it, exploring HKG / Taiwan etc might be interesting for a change if we went for BA/Cathay. With young children doing at least one leg direct without a stopover appeals more too.

It does seem that many of the Oneworld partners won't grant any miles if we are in the cheapest Economy, while flying AF is cheaper than BA and I believe VN will also generate up to 100% in Economy (though only 25% for lowest fares). I must confess I haven't checked Star Alliance - Turkish and Air China are cheap but slow ways to get there, Singapore + Thai nice and direct but generally more £ than we normally pay.

Standard Rewards: Relative Costs
Once second child is two four tickets to VN at current rates will cost £2000-3000, depending on time of year and availability.

Cathay LHR- SGN is 75000 miles in Economy, £308 in taxes : 4 tickets would cost 300k points + £1200ish, saving £600 in low season, £1600 at peak or 0.2p / 0.5p mile respectively

AF LHR-SGN or KLM BRS-SGN is 80000 miles Economy, £268 in taxes : 4 tickets would cost 320k points + £1000 ish, saving £878 / £1878 low vs peak or .3p / .6p mile

Promotional Rewards
BA we could use a 2-4-1 but only on direct flights to BKK, SIN, HKG not on the connection to SGN meaning we need an additional paid ticket, plus higher fees for flying BA vs Cathay - but the bonus is effectively guaranteed

AF have 'promo' reward flights resulting in a 25-50% reduction in miles. As these vary at different times of year we couldn't be sure of our destination being available, but given we could easily fly to HKG, SIN, BKK or KUL and transfer

Other practical considerations
BA let you pool points across a family while Flying Blue don't. I can't remember why I thought we might need to but that seemed to be an issue late last night!
Flying VN domestically would be a cheap way of ensuring our FB miles don't expire and is pretty certain each year
In a response to someone else on here I saw someone state that 'if you are mainly flying economy AA may be a better choice than Avios' for collecting miles - but there was no explanation of why. Any ideas?

If we earnt on the long haul and spent on short haul, as well as Reward Savers Cathay taxes are pretty low for eg SGN to HKG/TPE/PVG or even NRT for burning avios on short haul, though Malaysia fees around SEA are more expensive than local low cost carriers (though free domestically).
I haven't done equivalent calculations for FlyingBlue partners in the region (are there any?)

I am very tall so like big seats in economy!

Finally - given the high taxes we will always face, does it make sense to earn points for hotels instead of airlines? VN hotels can be very cheap so on the face of it perhaps not huge savings - but the luxury ones can be very nice treats indeed.

Mwenenzi Mar 24, 2014 7:17 pm

namdas Welcome to the forum
I would be looking at fares to a bigger city, like SIN, KUL or HKG then a separate tickets to SGN on who ever is cheapest/best schedule.

You can only get awards if you have miles/avios/points. From your post you seem to be more of a frequent spender (converting to ff miles) rather than a frequent flyer.

AA tend to have the cheapest long haul awards, if you can avoid BA (best earn/burn). AA charge cash surcharges on BA flights, but not other airlines. BA has high cash surcharges on award flights. Do not confuse real taxes with carrier imposed surcharges. But you are getting avios from non flying activities. Also look at IB avios. You can move BA avois to IB avois IIRC. Some here have reported awards from IB are better value.

Look and ask here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Edit. Thread merged

want2beaqui Mar 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Reply:Upgrades, Lounge, Priority Services
Reply:300k-400k 30-50
Reply:Economy
Reply:No Choice 90% Work
Reply:Transcontinental Euro-Asia
Reply: CDG
Reply:None Yet
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:Air France, Cathay, British

My problem is I really like AF and flyingblue for no explicable reason but can not seem to find useful ways to earn extra miles to boost my speed of status Living here in france.

Thanks!

a2k Mar 26, 2014 5:41 pm

This thread is exactly what I need! I'm looking for some help finding a new home airline and FFP. Starting this summer, my family is relocating to Tokyo for my wife's work (2 adults + 2 toddlers). I'll be flying regularly between Tokyo (NRT) and Seattle (SEA) - probably 6 to 8 round trips a year. I'm hoping to find a good program for the back and forth flights to 1) get out of coach if possible and 2) earn some award travel to explore Japan and Asia.

Reply: Access to upgrades on direct NRT->SEA flights is my #1 priority, then good award redemptions/partners for travel in Japan and around Asia is #2 priority.

Ideally, I'd also like to find a FFP that does some sort of status challenge or some other way to get status quickly so I can up my status quickly.

Reply: >50k miles all on coach fares, <25 flights

Reply: cheapest

Reply: airlines: yes, class of service: no (see #3!). Traveling for work.

Reply: Transpacific, in Asia

Reply: NRT

Reply: No current status, miles banked on UA and AA

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Lately it's been Southwest, but that's not going to help me now!

I'm looking forward to some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

dropanchor Mar 27, 2014 4:02 am

Advise please on FF/Status points

My question/s only relate to gaining the most in points and status points.

I have for all my life mainly flown and have been a member with Qantas FF and I am also a Life member of the Qantas Club so I have never really had to come to terms with what faces me now.( I do also fly ANZ & SIA) but now I figure it is time for me to really put change and I hope some with far more experience than me can guide me a little please

I have decided to “jump” airlines alliances and therefore make Star Alliance my “preferred airlines”.

I am also a Gold Member with Air New Zealand and in a matter of weeks will be Gold Plus and that is where my problems begins as I am not really sure what to do even down to the basics of booking new flights ( as ANZ do not fly to all the places I need to go to) and I would appreciate any help and guidance

I have just registered with Virgin Australia in Velocity, I did this because I will be flying DELTA LAX-FLL return on first/business class and I can gain points with Virgin.

I am also about to book Business class flight MEL-SYD return with Virgin Australia and so my question is..
As I am very much elevated in the ANZ program albeit I will also be gold plus with them in the Star Alliance program
Do I book this using my Air New Zealand number ( always)or my new Virgin number?

When I book ANY flight do I continue to use ANZ as my base membership or do I use, say Virgin and I can “double dip” by using one and getting the points also on the other.
thanks in advance

nux Mar 28, 2014 2:31 am

Virgin Australia is not in an alliance, but you can earn on various partners.
You cannot double dip and earn to two programs.

Where are you based (I am assuming Australia?) and what routes do you usually fly?

Mwenenzi Mar 28, 2014 4:05 am

dropanchor Welcome to the forum

Look here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

With QF life club you can look elsewhere if you want to. AA is the default choice in the OneWorld Alliance. Better earn/burn compared to QF

Air NZ's FFP is one on the poorest FPP's. For Star Alliance you are better with UA. Aegean is also popular with non USA people

But the best FFP's for you depends on your objectives and travel pattern. A few flights on 1 airline does not make a freq flyer
You cannot double dip.
You can get ff miles/points on an airline freq flyer partners if an eligible flight. For example put your VA freq flyer number into an Air NZ reservation. But some cheap and not so cheap Air NZ flights are non earning.
Alaska is a good FFP with a wide range of partners including Delta. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners

Perrpis Mar 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Moving- Change Alliance?

Hi All- need some advice please.

I am moving next week from Toronto to Miami Florida.
Currently an E50k with Air Canada. When flying within the US I have obviously always used United to help earn status miles. I have never been unhappy with their service and like the perks of free economy plus etc. Food is not up to par of AC but I dont think any of the American carriers are.

Some of my colleagues who also travel a lot, some more than me, say I should switch to OneWorld and AA. I know Miami is a hub for AA but just have never liked their product the few times I have flow (Wow- those MD 80's no comment).

Will be travelling to the following this year (RT);
US-8 domestic flights
Canada- 2
UK- 1 (biz)
UAE- 1 (biz)
Russia- 1 (biz)
Brazil/ Argentina- 1 (biz)
China- 1 (biz)

Would AA status match? I know United prob wont because it is also *A.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Shame I am going to lose 20 credits with AC but oh well.