Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Pros/Cons of maintaining 2 OW FFP memberships?

Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP, BR

Being based in HKG I already have the basic MPC Green and Asia Miles. Planning for a return trip to Iceland flying AY on business class (Fare I) and I see that for Finnair Plus, you get 200% points with I fare class. I have no intention (nor incentives) to try for MPC Silver but with the 200% points I would qualify for AY Silver (and OW Ruby) with the return trip. I wonder if it's worthwhile to open an AY Plus account? One consideration is that I have no other travel plans for awhile though a new job may require frequent travel (where I can take advantage of the OW Ruby to move up to the next level by credit future flights to AY Plus).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT GB, UA GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD, HILTON GOLD, IHG PLT
AY has excellent earn rates across the board, usually 50-100% better than AA or CX. Currently, AA EXP with an AY family plan. We credit my childrens flights to AY while I credit to AA. The AY family plan is the clincher.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Chromie25
... you get 200% points with I fare class.
Originally Posted by luvlanna
AY has excellent earn rates across the board, usually 50-100% better than AA or CX.
But don't forget the "burn" half of the earn/burn ratio. BOS-HKG in CX F is 110K using AAdvantage miles, but 300K using Finnair Plus according to the calculator on the website.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT GB, UA GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD, HILTON GOLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But don't forget the "burn" half of the earn/burn ratio. BOS-HKG in CX F is 110K using AAdvantage miles, but 300K using Finnair Plus according to the calculator on the website.
Indeed you are correct but the op implies they are seeking status as opposed to miles and that's why AY may work for them.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
The biggest disadvantage of multiple FF programs is that the airlines keep changing the "rules"
Having said that if you fly in the Y cabin, the "native" programs will most likely provide you with the best crediting opportunities. But you need to answer the question - Do I want status or do I want points for "redemptions". And of course, the optional add-on question - will I fly often enough to ensure that the points do not get "automagically" get "cancelled" under the program "rules"

If you fly often (or long) enough to have qualified under one of the "lifetime" programs it is simultaneously more simple and more complicated.

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Originally Posted by luvlanna
Indeed you are correct but the op implies they are seeking status as opposed to miles and that's why AY may work for them.
Thanks for pointing out the burn rate but as luvlanna pointed out I'm more interested in the status (or potentially giving me a head start on getting status). It's the difficulty of finding award seats on CX to anywhere in Europe that got me looking for alternatives in the first place

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.