Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

First time SQ flyer- which mileage program to claim credit on?

Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

I'm very excited to be flying on SQ next year in Business. We're flying LAX-NRT-SIN-DEL-SIN-LAX.

I am trying to figure out which frequent flyer program would be the best to claim points for this trip with. My typical flights/focus is with Delta and their partners, except for this trip trying to fly with SkyTeam there just were not any good routing options to complete the trip with the stop overs we wanted.

I'm not sure if I'll fly Singapore again any time soon.. so I've been trying to figure out if collecting them under another airline would be better. I've considered United and Virgin Atlantic.. does anyone have any suggestions? My face class is "U" should that make much of a difference.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stitch626
I'm very excited to be flying on SQ next year in Business. We're flying LAX-NRT-SIN-DEL-SIN-LAX.

I am trying to figure out which frequent flyer program would be the best to claim points for this trip with. My typical flights/focus is with Delta and their partners, except for this trip trying to fly with SkyTeam there just were not any good routing options to complete the trip with the stop overs we wanted.

I'm not sure if I'll fly Singapore again any time soon.. So I've been trying to figure out if collecting them under another airline would be better. I've considered United and Virgin Atlantic.. does anyone have any suggestions? My face class is "U" should that make much of a difference.
Is LAX-NRT on SQ or UA(Codeshare). Have not checked, but I expect SQ do not fly LAX-NRT

With Star the operating carrier determines earning. Booking codes do not always map 1 to 1. SQ marketed U could map to ?? UA operated
https://www.wheretocredit.com/singapore-airlines/u

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, better seating (with some ffp’s) ability to upgrade flights, possible operational upgrades and simpler to earn non flying ff miles/points. Status benefits are often better on the home airline.

I would go with UA.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

General:- Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Star Alliance:- Need advice on which Star Alliance FF scheme to join? - please post here

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
SQ have hard expiry. UA does not
RTWFF likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is LAX-NRT on SQ or UA(Codeshare). Have not checked, but I expect SQ do not fly LAX-NRT
It is operated by SQ- on flight SQ 11. It continues then on to Singapore.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, better seating (with some ffps) ability to upgrade flights, possible operational upgrades and simpler to earn non flying ff miles/points. Status benefits are often better on the home airline.

I would go with UA.
The grass in not always greener on the other side
I'll check out United. I've never flown them personally, ever actually. Hadn't considered claiming the miles there. Just trying to figure out which program I'd get the most value and hopefully use out of them. I'd really rather not let the miles go to waste as it is a sizeable chunk.
cliburn likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stitch626
I'll check out United. I've never flown them personally, ever actually. Hadn't considered claiming the miles there. Just trying to figure out which program I'd get the most value and hopefully use out of them. I'd really rather not let the miles go to waste as it is a sizeable chunk.
SQ ff points/miles have a fixed 3 year life. Use them or lose them.
VS ff miles expiry needs work to keep alive. As VS is UK based that can be harder in USA.
With UA ff miles you can use in USA (UA) and are easy to keep alive with non flying activities.

Depends on what you would use the ff miles for. Award cost in ff miles / cash surcharges can vary a lot for the same trip depending on the ffp
https://www.awardhacker.com/
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
This 'where to credit' site may be a help https://www.wheretocredit.com/singapore-airlines/u
cliburn and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Best value is crediting to AS, at 200% actual mileage (assuming no AS status). That's nearly 45,000 redeemable miles.

It will also nearly get you to MVP status (less than 3k miles short).
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Best value is crediting to AS, at 200% actual mileage (assuming no AS status). That's nearly 45,000 redeemable miles.

+1, for a US based flyer this is as good as it gets value wise when crediting to AS.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:02 pm

Yes crediting to AS would be a good idea.
If u need extra AS miles, AS often have sales on their miles too.
So u can easily get enough for a nice F class flight somewhere.

Originally Posted by Kacee

Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:32 pm

I agree with the others on AS.

If I fly internally and UA are not good timings. I always check out AS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.