Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:55 pm

I'm moving from UA to AA this year, so let's see how that goes.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
AA, better all around
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Since we're talking about credit cards, let's also talk about banks. Although Citi has dramatically improved over the last few years (their website was horrible when we got our first AAdvantage card five years ago), Chase is still easier and more user-friendly for online banking.
Let me amend of that : Chase has a nicer website and nicer app, but Citi is more honest with forex

I have 2 no forex cards - one chase one citi. The Citi one really quotes you very close to the raw exchange rate. The spread is negligible. Chase, on the other hand, builds in a 1.5% margin into the forex rate they quote you.

It sounds like very little difference, but if you're making $2000 worth of purchases abroad, that difference can already pay for the cab fare back to the airport.

But I think that point is moot here since the Citi AA card isn't 0% forex (last time I checked)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Time to airport rules here.

iAD...UA

DCA....AA
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:22 pm

United $75 change fee is possibly the dumbest thing ever. I have 2 flights, one on american one on united, both booked 10+ months out. American changed the dates on my flight with them in a matter of minutes, for free. United wants $75 to change the flight to the next day, even though it is the same flight and 10+ months out. Go .... yourselves United, I will not ever book an "iffy" flight date with you again.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:40 pm

What's the motivation to leave GS to go to EXP at AA? Beyond being fed up with UA's malarchy, I don't see too much advantage of not being GS. Domestic travel is painful, can't see it being less painful on beat up USAir A319s.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by scherzva
I have been a 1K since 2006 and an EP since 2014. If your daughter lives Arlington depending on where she lives (i.e. Ballston), IAD might be easier to get to than DCA. Both programs have strengths/weaknesses. For the most part AA/US has better pricing than UA, it is easier to earn miles on AA but for international travel AA is harder to redeem saver awards and AA has some fuel surcharges that UA doesn't charge.

If she has any friends who are top tier elites AA will let you upgrade almost any fare-class internationally while United requires the higher priced W fares. Upgrading to J on AA tends to be less expensive thanks to lower co-pays than UA when using miles. However UA is all lay flat, AA isn't.

I am wrestling this myself since there is no way I could keep this going indefinitely myself.
This succinctly/accurately sums it up from my experience as well. The higher earning for low spenders and lower spend requirements is enticing with AA at first, until you click the award calendar to redeem and realize that every option has BA for the transatlantic section (with hundreds of $$ of fees).

Then when redeeming for J is even more deflating when you do some research and realize that even if the AA option were to open up, it wouldn't be a lie-flat seat. JFK and LAX are the only exceptions because we can catch the 77w to LHR and take a BA intra-Europe connection. I assume your daughter doesn't care about flying J, so this probably isn't an issue for her (yet).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: 1k
AA prices seem much higher

So I checked AA for my UA flights in Sept and Oct. LAX to BKK.
Both I checked today for current pricing.

AA was almost twice the price of the UA ticket in biz.
The Economy tickets were 40 to 50% higher.

So AA is a good place to be?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:29 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
In general, I think AA has better perks and treatment for domestic travel. When it comes to international travel, UA beats AA, and *A destroys 1W.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15

You can't buy on price like this 6 months out and draw conclusions on airline to airline pricing.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
You can't buy on price like this 6 months out and draw conclusions on airline to airline pricing.
UH, why not? A 2 month period is not good enough?

Those are the prices if I wanted to book today. I checked several dates in both those months and AA is much higher.
In fact AA's price is higher by quite a bit then any UA price in biz LAX to BKK that I have ever seen.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
AA's Asia coverage, especially from LAX, is vastly inferior to UA. Chances are still good that AA's LAXNRT and LAXPVG flights are on old 772s with slant J seats, 2-5-2 in the back, and not as good IFE as UA. And the flight options are even more notable when you figure in *A versus OW.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15

Neither UA nor AA flies to BKK. Ex-LAX, you're basically complaining about the codeshare pricing on their respective partners (probably NH and JL).

If you want to fly TPAC from LAX, UA is the better choice. If you want to fly TATL from LAX, AA is the better option. Saying that one airline is "better" than the other based on a single route makes no sense at all.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Neither UA nor AA flies to BKK. Ex-LAX, you're basically complaining about the codeshare pricing on their respective partners (probably NH and JL).

If you want to fly TPAC from LAX, UA is the better choice. If you want to fly TATL from LAX, AA is the better option. Saying that one airline is "better" than the other based on a single route makes no sense at all.

Wait how is AA a better option for TATL from LAX? That's only if your final destination is LHR. Anywhere else and I would argue UA/*A is the clear winner. Direct flights to LHR, FRA, MUC, ZRH, and IST open up much more connection opportunities. And if you'd rather connect in the U.S, you can at least get a lie flat product in J.

Last edited by jmanirish; Apr 15, 2015 at 9:58 pm Reason: Forgot IST
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Wait how is AA a better option for TATL from LAX? That's only if your final destination is LHR. Anywhere else and I would argue UA/*A is the clear winner. Direct flights to LHR, FRA, MUC, ZRH, and IST open up much more connection opportunities. And if you'd rather connect in the U.S, you can at least get a lie flat product in J.
First, the question wasn't about alliances, it was about specific carriers - UA vs. AA. IF you want to start talking alliances, then you have to consider CX TPAC as a OW partner, and that changes the TPAC calculus entirely.

Second, UA has only one daily TATL ex-LAX, to LHR, a non *A hub, on a 772 with eight across in J. AA has two daily nonstops into LHR, BA's hub, on the new 77W.

AA wins on frequency, it wins on connectivity, and it wins on hard product. Game, set, match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.