FF Program Recommendations Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: *QANTAS - Platinum/Lifetime Gold *KLM - Platinum *Virgin - Gold *Etihad - Gold

I am looking for a bit of advice here on if I am doing the right thing with flights/FF programs to maximise points (obviously while still being mindful of cost).

To give you some background:
  • I have always tried to stay on the OneWorld network (aside from when Etihad/Virgin had some great mileage deals). I recently moved to Amsterdam and there is no direct OneWorld flights out of here and even if I take indirect the costs are much more.
  • I have Qantas Platinum, Etihad Gold, Virgin Velocity Silver and KLM Ivory.
  • I typically fly within Europe 1-2 times per month (economy), to the US 3-5 times per year (business) and to Australia 1-2 times per year (business).

Questions:
  • I got the KLM card as I am having to take KLM internally within Europe and Delta to the US. I have heard it is impossible to get Flying Blue to status match - is this true?
  • Any other better FF programs or carriers that I should be looking at to have a better approach?
  • I have a UA flight (business) from EWR to SFO, but I am not in any FF program that partners with UA, is it worth joining one and if so which one?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here (where you post will get moved) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

How long will you be living in Europe?

With Etihad Gold & Virgin Velocity Silver you have an overlap of ffp's. DL is a VA partner
Alaska has many partners, including Emirates, Delta & KLM http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
From reading post in FT AS is a better ffp than KLM/AF

For your United flights you could join the United ffp and so cover the Star Alliance. Business class fares will build up UA status and then UA upgrades are possible.

From "Which ffp to join"
Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flyer program better than members of other frequent flyer programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline. As a very general rule, it's best to maintain status on the airline you mostly fly.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From AMS, it makes sense to fly KLM/SkyTeam. The question is to which FF program you should credit these flights.

AS has it advantages and fans, but gives almost no benefits when you fly DL/KLM/AF. You can theoretically can get DL free domestic upgrades, but you're at the very bottom of the list and it will happen so rarely that we might as well say never.

It sounds like your travel pattern is enough to earn GM (Gold) on DL, which means SkyTeam ElitePlus with lots of perks, including SkyPriority and lounge access. I suspect that the same is true for FB, but you need to check earnings for your particular fare classes as this can differ a lot between SM and FB. Look also at the changes to DL RDM earnings starting in January. It's much easier, and sometimes cheaper, to get EC seats on KLM with KLM status or on DL with DL status. DL miles aren't very good for KLM/AF business class award tickets (and cannot be used for FC on AF) but FB miles aren't very good for DL award availability either. Either way, you will pay YQ fees on award tickets originating in Europe.

BTW, DL does do status challenges, but not outright matches except possibly as part of a corporate contract.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From AMS, it makes sense to fly KLM/SkyTeam. The question is to which FF program you should credit these flights..
I think bubbles23 was/is from Queensland, Australia. What flights and/or airlines in the future can make a difference to the selection. FFP's are for long term, especially if flying short economy flights (little miles earning)

Be careful about miles expiry:
- QF require eligible activity in 18 months
- VA require eligible activity in 36 months (iirc)
- Delta has no expiry of miles
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I think bubbles23 was/is from Queensland, Australia. What flights and/or airlines in the future can make a difference to the selection. FFP's are for long term, especially if flying short economy flights (little miles earning)

Be careful about miles expiry:
- QF require eligible activity in 18 months
- VA require eligible activity in 36 months (iirc)
- Delta has no expiry of miles
The OP recently moved to Amsterdam and doesn't say that this is a temporary job.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:33 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by bubbles23
I recently moved to Amsterdam and there is no direct OneWorld flights out of here...
Well of course there are, depending on where you want to fly "direct." Madrid? London? Berlin? Kuala Lumpur? Hong Kong? Amman? How about Philadelphia? (Remember US and AA are merging and US is already in Oneworld.)
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by bubbles23
I am looking for a bit of advice here on if I am doing the right thing with flights/FF programs to maximise points (obviously while still being mindful of cost).
What are your priorities in what you receive?

Free short-haul flights? In Europe or America?
Free long-haul flights? In economy or premium classes?
Lounge access?
Free upgrades?
International upgrades?

It sounds like you often pay for business on long-haul so maybe you're not really interested in the status benefits and only free flights? Or maybe if you could spend miles on upgrades you could save money on your personal flights by not booking business.

Depending on what you want to achieve different programs can be better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.