Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Request for advice: join Alaska Air program to get full mile award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I'm new and hope this is the right place to post my question.

I booked a flight with Qantas from New York to Sydney for December. It was on sale and has a "sale" fare class. Using my American Airline frequent flyer number, I'd only receive 25% of the miles (http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp).

If I signed up for a Qantas frequent flyer number, I'd only receive 50% of the miles.

I think I get full value of the miles if I sign up for Alaska Air (http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/qantas.aspx)

I think it makes sense to try and get 100% of the miles I travel, especially on such a long trip.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
So its either O or Q Class?

I personally would credit to AS for full miles but it depends on what you want to spend the miles on later. It will be easier to use AS miles than QF miles for award flights on Alaksa metal. QF miles will probably be more valuable if you're looking to redeem on QF metal.

If you're going for AS elite status it will earn you 19900 EQM (if a RT ticket) when credited to AS program. However you will have to find 10100 EQM on other fligts before 12/31/14 to earn MVP status

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 11, 2014 at 7:12 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree if it does credit to AS @ 100% go for it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If 25% on AA (or 50% QF miles somewhere in onewordl) is enough to make the difference in obtaining elite status, that would be an argument not to credit the miles to AS. Otherwise, you'll get almost enough AS miles for a minor redemption and AS miles give you some nice flexibility and access to award tickets on a different set of carriers.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
So its either O or Q Class?

I personally would credit to AS for full miles but it depends on what you want to spend the miles on later. It will be easier to use AS miles than QF miles for award flights on Alaksa metal. QF miles will probably be more valuable if you're looking to redeem on QF metal.

If you're going for AS elite status it will earn you 19900 EQM (if a RT ticket) when credited to AS program. However you will have to find 10100 EQM on other fligts before 12/31/14 to earn MVP status
Yes, it's an O Class ticket. I honestly don't think I'll be going back to Australia for many many years so I don't have a need for QF miles. So I agree that AS may be best.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree if it does credit to AS @ 100% go for it.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it does. And it's such a huge amount of miles that 100% vs. 25% makes a difference

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If 25% on AA (or 50% QF miles somewhere in onewordl) is enough to make the difference in obtaining elite status, that would be an argument not to credit the miles to AS. Otherwise, you'll get almost enough AS miles for a minor redemption and AS miles give you some nice flexibility and access to award tickets on a different set of carriers.
I don't plan to have any AA miles this year or oneworld actually (have flown on United, JetBlue and Delta) so there's no status concern.

Thanks all for your help!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:00 pm

Unless you plan to fly AS often or can rack up lots of points, I recommend not spreading your points over too many programs. Throughout the years, I have taken the bait and earned miles on a program only to have them eventually expire because I couldn't keep up with the program's requirements. I've lost miles on Aeorplan and United.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS is a great place to dump miles in due to the partner structure ^
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
FYI, Alaska allows 1 way awards.

Example, while you're in New York, you can fly 1 way to any city in Alaska, with a stopover in SEA (for multiple days).

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.