Moving to Singapore

Old Feb 21, 19, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Moving to Singapore

hello, new poster here.

I'm likely relocating to Singapore later this year from nyc and I'm wondering what my ff and cc strategies should be. I currently have platinum status on delta and use Starwood Amex and chase sapphire for credit cards.

Should I switch my focus to star alliance and/or Kris flyer? Where should I try to build up miles for status given my new home airport and likely travel across south and Southeast Asia?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks,
Rob
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you do business travel, start by learning about your (new) employer's travel policies.
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Robbyk Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Robbyk View Post
I'm likely relocating to Singapore later this year from NYC and I'm wondering what my ff and cc strategies should be. I currently have Platinum status on Delta and use Starwood Amex and Chase Sapphire for credit cards.

Should I switch my focus to Star Alliance and/or Kris flyer? Where should I try to build up miles for status given my new home airport and likely travel across south and Southeast Asia?
How long will you be living in Singapore/Asia? A year or so for for decades?
What travel pattern? Class of travel? Short or long haul?
Employers travel policy? Choice of airline?
In Asia many low cost air fares can earn nil ff miles. And many low cost carriers, not in an alliance
Personal trips back to NYC/USA?
What airline will get you from NYC to SIN? Class of travel?
Current ff programs & status? [DL Plat - any others?]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 21, 19 at 8:14 pm
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for these questions! See responses below.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Robbyk Welcome to FT

How long will you be living in Singapore/Asia? A year or so for for decades?
- The plan is for 3-5 years.

What travel pattern? Class of travel? Short or long haul?
- There will be mostly regional trips, economy class, for business (India and Southeast Asia). There will be 3-5 business class trips to Europe and/or the US annually. Plus, 2-3 personal trips back to us with 3 family members.

Employers travel policy?
- Very flexible.

Choice of airline?
- Pretty agnostic, but what airline(s) I should choose is part of my question. Prefer national airlines over Asian budget airlines.

In Asia many low cost air fares can earn nil ff miles. And many low cost carriers, not in an alliance
- Understood. Will likely use those for flights to Indonesia, the Philippines, etc.

Personal trips back to NYC/USA?
- Noted above, 2-3 personal trips back to the US wihh 3 family members.

What airline will get you from NYC to SIN? Class of travel?
- Debating this now. Considering Singapore air direct from Newark. But, could do another route if trying to stay on sky team, for example.

- No others, have stayed focused on Delta.
Old Feb 23, 19, 4:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN; Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, SPG
Welcome (soon) to Singapore! Given your situation, I'd probably suggest going with Star Alliance/Singapore Airlines. If you have enough J full-fare flights to Europe/USA, making PPS should be quite easy (over 25,000 SGD in Premium cabins). Singapore Airlines is your most likely non-stop non-budget option to most of the places you want to go. Skyteam's presence isn't particularly strong here, unless you foresee flying a lot of Garuda/China Eastern/Jet Airways/Vietnam Air. The redemption rate on SQ is generally reasonable as well.

Do keep your Chase Sapphire (preferred? reserve?) with you. If you have the Reserve, Changi Airport has over 10 priority pass lounges, which will serve your needs until you reach sufficient status to use Star Alliance lounges. Also, the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve's travel insurance will also come in super handy, if you fly one of the region's budget airlines - when things go south, they are notorious for not accommodating passengers. Having travel disruption insurance that comes with your credit card means you can book hotel/get food and not rely on the budget airlines to take care of you (they won't!).
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Super helpful!

one follow-up question: should I start earning miles on krisflyer or use my United ff account (which I do have some miles on)? If I should use a krisfyer account, can transferring miles from United help in anyway?
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one follow-up question: should I start earning miles on krisflyer or use my United ff account (which I do have some miles on)? If I should use a krisfyer account, can transferring miles from United help in anyway?
- No others, have stayed focused on Delta.
You cannot transfer/move ff miles from UA to SQ ffp's

With UA be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Asian regional flights in economy will earn little with any ffp. Non USA based ffp's are not that generous on short-cheap economy class flights compared to USA based airlines/ffp's. It is the long haul business class flights where you will earn reasonable ff miles/status.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/sq
https://www.wheretocredit.com/cx

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 23, 19 at 12:43 pm
Old Feb 24, 19, 10:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN; Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, SPG
Thanks! Super helpful!

As mentioned by Mwenenzi, you can't transfer United points. It really depends on how many miles you have on United, because the United FF program has some great redemption sweet spots, e.g. excursion pack. I think knowing what redemptions you plan on making will help with knowing which FF account you should build up for the most effective FF strategy.

Starting a Krisflyer account from scratch and building a good stash of miles shouldn't be too hard. With USA credit cards (and if you get into Singapore credit cards), it is quite easy to build up a stash of Krisflyer miles, as all three major US credit card currencies (Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards, ThankYou points) transfer into Krisflyer.

Beyond redemption benefits (& earn & burn ratio), you might want to think about what's more important to you? Redemption, or FF perks?

Search this Thread