Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

I Should Have Signed Up For ANA's vs United's Loyalty Program, huh?

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Hi All, I'm on a multi-year expat assignment in Japan and travel from HND/NRT - SHA/PVG and PEK monthly in economy, occasionally HND/NRT - GMP/ICN in economy, and to the US in business 2x per year. I joined United's MileagePlus program last year, I'm currently Platinum and am on track to make 1K by October. This past Sunday flying HND-SHA on ANA it donned on me that I'll never fully realize many of the benefits that ANA Diamond's receive at HND and NRT; that the highest level of benefits I'll receive the vast majority of the time is limited to those of Star Alliance Gold. It specifically occurred to me after I was rejected when trying to go through the much shorter "elites" security line as United Platinum flying ANA. I was informed you have to be flying the same metal as your loyalty program, which for me is only ~2x per year. At this point it seems to me that because I'm so far in with United's program I might as well stick it out and be content with Star Alliance Gold 90% of the time I fly. Any thoughts on this? Is there something I'm overlooking that would make starting over with ANA worth it? I'll be in Japan till at least early 2021, possibly until early 2023.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver
Contact ANA and try and get a status match to ANA Diamond or Platinum - use that to earn from now on and you've saved yourself from having to start from scratch?
KCHSload likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by KCHSload
Hi All, I'm on a multi-year expat assignment in Japan and travel from HND/NRT - SHA/PVG and PEK monthly in economy, occasionally HND/NRT - GMP/ICN in economy, and to the US in business 2x per year. I joined United's MileagePlus program last year, I'm currently Platinum and am on track to make 1K by October. This past Sunday flying HND-SHA on ANA it donned on me that I'll never fully realize many of the benefits that ANA Diamond's receive at HND and NRT; that the highest level of benefits I'll receive the vast majority of the time is limited to those of Star Alliance Gold. It specifically occurred to me after I was rejected when trying to go through the much shorter "elites" security line as United Platinum flying ANA. I was informed you have to be flying the same metal as your loyalty program, which for me is only ~2x per year. At this point it seems to me that because I'm so far in with United's program I might as well stick it out and be content with Star Alliance Gold 90% of the time I fly. Any thoughts on this? Is there something I'm overlooking that would make starting over with ANA worth it? I'll be in Japan till at least early 2021, possibly until early 2023.
According to the Star Alliance site you should be given access to gold track elite security lanes - the lane minder apparently was misinformed, unless you were at a different access point than the designated gold track access at HND:

This Star Alliance Gold benefit allows you to proceed more quicker through security by using dedicated lanes. It is currently available at more than 150 locations globally and is being rolled out airport by airport across our network. All Star Alliance Gold Customers (including those travelling in Economy Class) and customers in First or Business Class on a flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline are eligible for Star Alliance Gold Track access.
[emphasis added]

https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-track

You do get lounge access and other things even on ANA as *G - peruse the benefits summary for a full list:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ralliance.aspx

I guess I'd look at your upcoming travel this year and see if you'd' have a shot at a status level with ANA that you find appealing. If not, may as well finish out with UA this year.

The other thing is what you want to do with the award miles you're accruing, either near term or when you return to the US at some point. Would UA or ANA's program be more beneficial to you? Which would rack up award miles faster for your travel patterns? ANA has some excellent sweet spots in its award charts but it all depends on one's award travel goals. Good luck whatever you end up doing!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by 84fiero
According to the Star Alliance site you should be given access to gold track elite security lanes - the lane minder apparently was misinformed, unless you were at a different access point than the designated gold track access at HND:

[emphasis added]

https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-track
The lane agent was correct, at Haneda's international terminal your status has to match your departing carrier for access to priority security (unless you get it through class of service. This has been the rule for quite some time, though enforcement can vary. Per your own link, Gold Track is not listed for Haneda's international terminal.

OP, if you have a shot at making million miler with UA, stick with UA. If not, you'd likely be better served with ANA.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:51 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The lane agent was correct, at Haneda's international terminal your status has to match your departing carrier for access to priority security (unless you get it through class of service. This has been the rule for quite some time, though enforcement can vary. Per your own link, Gold Track is not listed for Haneda's international terminal.

OP, if you have a shot at making million miler with UA, stick with UA. If not, you'd likely be better served with ANA.
What??? Tokyo - Tokyo International (Haneda) Airport (HND) is shown on the link.

Too bad you're so close to 1K, as I've found One World to be a much better alliance, and you could probably make AA EXP (vs. UA 1K) using JL (depending on the fare basis,) and AA. If you have IHG Spire, they match to ANA PLT and provide an easy challenge to keep the status.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by rbAA
Your link indicates that *A Gold Track is available in the domestic terminal. OP flies internationally.

The rule about having to fly your native metal at the HND international terminal is well-known, though not always enforced. See further: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/01/07/...-elite-member/

Last edited by Beltway2A; Aug 2, 2019 at 5:05 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A

Thanks for the thoughts, I've only got ~50k miles towards million mile status; so I'm hoping I'll be able to beg ANA for a status match.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbAA
What???....

Too bad you're so close to 1K, as I've found One World to be a much better alliance, and you could probably make AA EXP (vs. UA 1K) using JL (depending on the fare basis,) and AA. If you have IHG Spire, they match to ANA PLT and provide an easy challenge to keep the status.
I'll probably end up trying for a status match/challenge once early next year with One World. I chose Star Alliance because of Chase's ability to transfer points to United. So far I've been satisfied with Star Alliance but I really do not have much to compare to. What makes OneWorld better in your opinion?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:08 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by KCHSload
I'll probably end up trying for a status match/challenge once early next year with One World. I chose Star Alliance because of Chase's ability to transfer points to United. So far I've been satisfied with Star Alliance but I really do not have much to compare to. What makes OneWorld better in your opinion?
What makes One World better is the lack of annoying little problems such as the one you originally posted about. I've been AA EXP for years and recently switched to AS MVPG75k for the mileage earning (this year it's been about 250% more RDM's compared to AA's earnings,) and all I need to do when I fly on a One World carrier is show my AA card for use of the FC lines and lounges. I remember *A and especially UA being more difficult so you had to constantly be changing your FF number in the record to get the check-in, lounge, or other benefits. Granted there are not many benefits left with any of the programs, but the quality of One World carriers seems to me better, especially CX and QF. Probably not really applicable to your current situation. JL vs NH is a push in my opinion. Plus UA 1K which I matched to and tried out, was not as good. SWU's that required up fares W or higher and still seldom cleared and other issues.
KCHSload likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I doubt ANA will Status match from a close alliance partner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.