Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I change airline alliance after requalifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: After requalifying for Ecxecutive Platinum, should I seek status on another airline?
Yes. You should seek status on another airline
36.11%
No. You should maximize your AA elite status and benefits
61.11%
Neither. I’ve explained my answer in a post below
2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Diamond

I live in Dallas and have been AA Exec Plat for quite a few years. I currently take 1-2 internal, business class trips per month. I requalified Exec Plat back in April or May. I am now considering changing to Delta or United for the remainder of the year for the international business class trips so I qualify for one of their top tier levels. I don't see much disadvantage as I usually have to connect on my international trips anyway. The only real disadvantage I see is that my miles will be spread across two programs. I don't see any other real benefits on staying with AA as there are no longer any further milestone bonuses.

Has anyone done this? What has been your experience? Would you recommend Delta or United for international business class?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In fact there are SWU at some milestones beyond 100k.

But here's the thing: you’ll achieve top status by the end of the year on another airline, but you won’t have the benefits of top status until you achieve it vs using your existing EP on AA.

I’d refrain from doing that unless the other airline or its alliance served airports I go to that AA / oneworld doesn’t get me to easily.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I wouldn't trade direct flights from DFW on AA for flights with connections on other carriers. Getting status on other carriers, but not using regularly seems a waste.
E55 and econometrics like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Fly on American, but credit your flights to British Airways. Obtain Gold status with them.

The lounge access once you have BA Gold is incredible.
asf-07, E55 and econometrics like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
No need to live as a kettle! Get a status match first so that you have the high level benefits right away.

I’d love to have status on two alliances so that I could take the better flight without worrying about not having perks.
sm82, E55, LovePrunes and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Never understood the idea of gaining status then not using it, not to say won’t fly other airlines if it meets my needs but to intentional push to other airlines - where you won’t use the benifits you’ve earned always confused me
Zacnlinc, reeg2 and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
I'm in a similar boat being about 5k EQM ($20k+ EQD) short of requalifying for EP. I've flown a couple J business trips on Delta and United when they were best option over AA. I understand why people say "why qualify if you're then not going to use the status". With status matches it does make more sense and I do consider that with the higher status (on Delta & United) the award miles I earn by flying is higher than w/o. Also, if there are future trips I want to take on non-AA airlines I will have miles to use for an award ticket.

Good example is we recently went on the new Delta route JFK > Azores (AA doesn't fly there) and without Delta miles, I had to transfer AMEX points to Delta. Had I had premiere status and flown a couple of J flights, I'd likely have enough Delta points
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Since spend is now an upgrade priority factor within a given AA status, if you're not talking huge numbers in qualifying on another airline, you might want to focus on AA to help stay ahead of the EXP upgrade pack.
Zacnlinc and jmayo like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: CK or bust
But if you were so inclined, Delta unless you have a very specific reason to fly with United.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryman16
.... I currently take 1-2 internal, business class trips per month.
<snip>
for the remainder of the year for the international business class trips
<snip>
What has been your experience? Would you recommend Delta or United for international business class?
The grass in not always greener on the other side
What do you expect on the other side? Especially if flying paid business class?

FFP of airline XX vs YY vs ZZ is a common topic .
Another AA vs UA thread----> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...switch-ua.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 27, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
Never understood the idea of gaining status then not using it, not to say won’t fly other airlines if it meets my needs but to intentional push to other airlines - where you won’t use the benifits you’ve earned always confused me
I've seen this viewpoint expressed regularly so I'll take this opportunity to respond. The key is to think of this not as a one-time qualification but as a potentially recurring one. In the long term, if flying patterns continue, splitting between two airlines allows maintaining status on both (and, after the first year, enjoying that status while requalifying). This, in turn, gives the flexibility to choose the more convenient airline for each individual trip. So it's not a case of "gaining status then not using it" -- it will be used next year.
ijgordon, reeg2 and CPRich like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
There is an advantage if you are in 2 different markets, I use he *A for united , air NZ and air Canada but I use he oneworld for Qantas and Qatar

my time is is split between 2 markets ( Australia and Canada) so the advantage is worth the hassle, if you are in one market and have the perks , use them as to not start from scratch
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ryan182
Never understood the idea of gaining status then not using it, not to say won’t fly other airlines if it meets my needs but to intentional push to other airlines - where you won’t use the benifits you’ve earned always confused me.
I agree. I thought that the whole point of earning status is to enjoy the benefits. Same with hotels. Once I reach the top tier in a hotel program, I want to enjoy the upgrades to suites for the rest of the year, not start at the bottom of another program.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I recently was considering joining CX's MPC as my market has been Asia for the past year. I just recently opted to take their nonstop flight from SFO-HKG as a test run as HKG has been my primary spot for my trips (growing tired of going to/from LAX and flying back up the coast of CA on each leg on AA metal).

But I think it would be best to stay with AA as I see no difference being a (near) top elite with them vs. EXP. The OWE status doors open just the same as far as I can tell. CX in-flight team treated me very nice too.

Now's the time to just enjoy the benefits of my hard work within the EXP rankings when looking to upgrade vs. enjoying my exit row favorite seat.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
But I think it would be best to stay with AA as I see no difference being a (near) top elite with them vs. EXP. The OWE status doors open just the same as far as I can tell.
And if you do the analysis, I believe that you'll find that the earn/burn ratio is better on AA, anyway.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.