Search

AAdvantage for those not flying much AA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
AAdvantage for those not flying much AA

Hi Everyone:

I gave EXP a shot and am dropping to a general member in February 2016.

I rarely fly domestic and when i do it is short hops. I am mostly international, but the AA International Schedule doesn't work for me.

I never used any of the Systemwide Upgrades on AA.

Given that there are no US Airlines serving the Middle East anymore, I am planning to fly a lot of Qatar Airways and maybe some BA.

Is AA going to be the best for burning miles in One World going forward? Burning miles without any major penalties is my major priority.

Any other benefits for those that don't fly AA metal, but accrue to AA?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
I fly 95% CX to Asia and I do credit to AA (the AA routes don't work for me either). I am EXP. I rarely use my SWU on AA and have to give them away to family / friends so they do not expire for nothing.

I looked at other programs to credit to (specifically CX), but honestly felt I was not missing much in crediting to AA. My company flies me in PE, so if I credited more to CX, I could use miles to upgrade, but the changes in elite qualifications for CX this year mean I might have problem making top tier.

And CX does take great care of OW Emeralds even helping me make connections numerous times. I also got 4 Op-ups to C this year too from PE on HKG-NYC/BOS. And I get the great lounges in HKG, 1st class check-in, etc.

It may be different for the other carriers, but I am happy with my arrangement - fly CX, credit to AA.

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks PWMFlyer. Did you consider British Avios as an option for accrual?

I considered it, but they just jacked-up their redemptions for short flights in the US.

I think that whether i continue to have AAdvantage as my frequent flier program of choice depends on whether any mega devaluations are underway that would make Avios look better.

Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
I fly 95% CX to Asia and I do credit to AA (the AA routes don't work for me either). I am EXP. I rarely use my SWU on AA and have to give them away to family / friends so they do not expire for nothing.

I looked at other programs to credit to (specifically CX), but honestly felt I was not missing much in crediting to AA. My company flies me in PE, so if I credited more to CX, I could use miles to upgrade, but the changes in elite qualifications for CX this year mean I might have problem making top tier.

And CX does take great care of OW Emeralds even helping me make connections numerous times. I also got 4 Op-ups to C this year too from PE on HKG-NYC/BOS. And I get the great lounges in HKG, 1st class check-in, etc.

It may be different for the other carriers, but I am happy with my arrangement - fly CX, credit to AA.

Cheers.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
...Is AA going to be the best for burning miles in One World going forward? Burning miles without any major penalties is my major priority.

Any other benefits for those that don't fly AA metal, but accrue to AA?
If awards are your main objective you are unlikely to better than AA.

If you fly a lot with 1 particular airline it may be worth consideration.
But USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s. (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)

BA recently revised their ffp. And they have surcharges on many awards.

BA, AA, & CX(?) all required to fly 4 own marketed flights for status

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people.
The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit those flights to does not need to be the same.
Freq flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn.
Status benefits are different between ffp's

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.