Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Should I join Asiana Club if they may merge with Korean Air?

Old Aug 25, 22, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plus

So I have a bunch of flights booked with LX and SQ in J, and donít have a *A FF membership. I was wondering about joining Asiana Club since apparently they are the easiest to accumulate gold on.

I worry that if Asiana and Korean merge it may be futile, and Skyteam are much less convenient for me to be a FF with.

Alternatively I could join SK Eurobonus or SQ KrisFlyer as they are the Star Alliance members Iíd otherwise fly on most.
Old Aug 26, 22, 11:23 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The merge is SEVERAL years away, so I would just go about my business now and then worry about conversion process etc. MUCH LATER like 3 years at least.
royng likes this.
Old Aug 26, 22, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fyfan View Post
So I have a bunch of flights booked with LX and SQ in J, and donít have a *A FF membership. I was wondering about joining Asiana Club since apparently they are the easiest to accumulate gold on.

I worry that if Asiana and Korean merge it may be futile, and Skyteam are much less convenient for me to be a FF with.

Alternatively I could join SK Eurobonus or SQ KrisFlyer as they are the Star Alliance members Iíd otherwise fly on most.
SQ miles have a hard expiration date, IIRC three years after they're earned or transferred in, regardless of how active your account is. The same is true for some other FF programs so look carefully at their rules before deciding.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 22, 4:25 pm

Just read about it too, merging expected in 2023 concerning systems and alliance? Curious too as I am now planning to start over again for a Gold *A... my TK one is gone after 2 years no flights...
Old Sep 11, 22, 10:04 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by flyertalk_member View Post
Just read about it too, merging expected in 2023 concerning systems and alliance? Curious too as I am now planning to start over again for a Gold *A... my TK one is gone after 2 years no flights...
My A3 *G is gone after no flights...now struggling to defend my CX Gold tier... I share your pain.
Old Sep 20, 22, 1:17 pm

TK only requires 40k miles and is good for 2 years. The requirement to requalify is only 25k miles. My OZ *G was extended to 2023 like everyone else, but I switched to TK last year because I got tired of the drama and uncertainty with OZ. Just hit TK *G last month, and I am happy that I no longer need to concern myself with this merger debacle. No miles on LH P class, but it still earns well with LX & OS.

Search this Thread