Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Being United Silver premier, should I use Aeroplan or United on AC flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.

I am United Silver, but for sure won't quality for next year. Nor for AC anything, gave on their Elite program a cpl of yrs ago... So, on three upcoming AC flights, to OGG, LAX, YYC... which program should I use?

As far as I can tell, apart from earlier boarding, AC doesn't give much benefit to Silver members (no free bag), but not sure which would provide me with better miles overall? Hawaii flight is flex fair (100% aeroplan), the other two are standard fair (50% I assume)... which to use?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC 75K
https://www.wheretocredit.com/
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Put your miles where your miles are.

You don't want 10k in 30 programs.
douglasr and RangerNS like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:20 pm

Interesting problem to have. I'm in a similar situation: fly a lot and continually get UA *Gold but next year may be my last year as UA Gold given the recent enhancements vis-a-vis PQP. A couple suggestions:
  1. Research various FFPs to determine which one will let you keep status for calendar year 2021. Some possible options include Turkish, Aegean and Asiana. In addition, many programs will status match your United Silver to their equivalent (see for instance DL which has no PQD requirement for non-US residents and is purely milage based like United).
  2. If you decide on sticking with crediting to UA, one benefit of flying AC is you'll accrue an outsized amount of PQP since it is still distance based for * partners like AC. Assuming you are based out of YYC here's what the PQP accruals would look like based on the info provided:
    • YVR <> OGG - 1069 PQP (assuming a Flex G fare)
    • YVR <> LAX - 216 PQP
    • YVR <> YYC - 43 PQP
For 2020 Silver qualification you'll need 4000 PQP + 12 PQF. Those three flights above net you 1328 PQP. However, it is possible to get your beloved silver if you play your cards right. Purchase the Hawaii (Sun Destination) AC Flight pass for $2,500 which gives you 6 one-ways to Hawaii in Flex M. This alone will net you 3206 PQP once you take those 3 roundtrips out to Hawaii. Then it should be child's play to get the remaining 800 PQP to re-qual for Gold. All that being said, this is made assuming UA doesn't change accrual for * partners. However, other FFPs can do the same as well. Generally, I'd advise against crediting to Aeroplan since no one knows what will be happening to Aeroplan/Altitude in 2020 (there is supposed to be a relaunch in Summer and that can screw everything from accruals, status levels, etc.)

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

I'm also a United Silver. I'll qualify for 2020 but with the changes coming (no more PQD waiver for United Club card purchase minimums) will likely not qualify for 2021. And the United Club has gone downhill - I've been using the AMEX lounges where I can. I'm also looking to see where to re-direct my loyalties and am thinking of the Sapphire Reserve and the Ultimate Rewards program for miles, but for Silver on any airline - if one is US based - are there any good ones? I fly out of EWR or JFK. Won't go near LGA.

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, I see this is in the AC forum. Didn't realize that when I replied. Can't figure out how to delete it, so can mod redirect it where it should be pls?

Last edited by VoiceActor; Nov 2, 2019 at 2:12 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Thanks guys. I can’t really see gaining status with either and frankly don’t care much anymore as almost all programs unless you’re top tier are not worth it anymore for Silver status. I pick the most continent flights now from whoever it maybe. For now, I just wanna bank as much miles on either program for redemption at some point. With United I don’t have much so they’re a bit of a no mans land, so either have to transfer them to hotel points or gain as much United miles to somehow get a flight out of em. Aeroplan I got like 400K miles.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by alexbc
With United I don’t have much so they’re a bit of a no mans land, so either have to transfer them to hotel points or gain as much United miles to somehow get a flight out of em. Aeroplan I got like 400K miles.
You do realize with the Aeroplan points you have available you can travel like a Star Gold member for some time? A J fare on * gets you most of the *Gold benefits (lounge access, priority everything, baggage allowance) in addition to the better seats and meals! Short-haul Aeroplan redemptions start at 15,000 miles (roundtrip) and include a free stop-over en-route. Long haul North American redemptions start at 25,000 miles (roundtrip) and include a free stop-over en-route. More details can be found on the érrorPlan website.

My recommendation would be to burn those points while they still have value since there are rumblings that AC may change to dynamic awards next year. This week I burned through 115,000 miles on the following bookings:
  • 25,000 miles (YZR > YSJ > YXY > YZR) in Y
  • 90,000 miles - 3 one-ways from YYZ > LHR in Y on UA
In terms of crediting miles to AC for award miles the choice is up to you although you won't be earning much miles either way based on your travel patterns. Your best bet (and I'm guessing the reason why you have so many miles) would be to get a good travel credit card that earns a stack of Aeroplan Miles on purchase. You should also look into diversifying your miles across the alliances (OneWorld, SkyTeam and Star Alliance). That way if you cannot find award availability with one alliance, you can use points from another alliance to book the said reward ticket. In my case, I've chosen BA for OneWorld awards and DL for SkyTeam although YMMV in terms of what's right for you. If you've got transferrable points like AMEX Membership Rewards your best bet is to hold on to them and transfer only when you need to book an award flight that way you have the flexibility to deploy the points where you need them.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by alexbc
I am United Silver, but for sure won't quality for next year. Nor for AC anything, gave on their Elite program a cpl of yrs ago... So, on three upcoming AC flights, to OGG, LAX, YYC... which program should I use?

As far as I can tell, apart from earlier boarding, AC doesn't give much benefit to Silver members (no free bag), but not sure which would provide me with better miles overall? Hawaii flight is flex fair (100% aeroplan), the other two are standard fair (50% I assume)... which to use?
Forgive me for being confused, but if you are E50K (million miler) as it says under your programs, you get a 50% bonus if you credit to Aeroplan. So with this in mind, you are technically still a part of the AC Elite program.

Also, all of your E50K benefits will not apply besides lounge access if you choose to use your UA MP code instead. Your BP zone will not be Z2 if you do not put your AE number in, and you will have to use your E50K card to get other benefits if they even allow it (which I would expect them to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.