Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye to BAEC but where should I go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Goodbye to BAEC but where should I go?

I haven't been living in the UK for nearly 8 months and don't plan to be coming back anytime soon. My BAEC membership year just resent a few weeks ago. So I was wondering which airline program to choose. I am now living in the San Francisco bay area. I have at least 1 transcontinental round trip coming up next month with AA and then a trip to India with BA (I class). There will be at least another 3-4 trips to India / Europe and then a few transcontinental flights within the US. I mostly due I class business fares and cheaper first class fares in the US. In the past with BA, I was able to earn about 3000 TPs.

I really like Alaska and Virgin America and they do have a lot of flights from the smaller SJC airport. But they don't have reciprocal benefits with other airlines. Being able to access the Wing in HK as OWE is sometimes appealing.

There is also United who have a hub in SFO but I really don't want to move my loyalty over there.

I am finding that having lounge access on US domestic flights as BAEC gold isn't all that great. I have Amex Platinum and I find the Admirals Club pretty miserable. I usually hang out in a proper restaurant where I can get decent food.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Why not just free-lance? Go with whatever airline best suits your needs in terms of price and schedule at the time.

"Loyalty" is overrated, in my opinion. Sure, it works great if you can concentrated your flights on an airline that also offers convenient schedules and decent pricing for the flights you need to take, but it can be a means of moving you into inconvenient schedules and higher prices.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I agree 100% with QueenOfCoach.

Go with whoever has the best price and schedule for each trip you do.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Sounds like Alaska might suit your needs. The good thing about AS is they have so many different partners it is almost like going frelance. You could fly BA on one trip to India and Emirates on the next and still earn miles for both. They have great mileage earnings for premium fares and the best reward chart for aspirational awards. If I wasn't in so deep with BA that is where I would go.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I have a similar travel pattern to you (about 2500-3000 tier points annually, all premium cabin with a mix of transcon/shorthaul F and longhaul F/J).

If you're doing 3000 tier points you've got enough room to whore yourself out a bit, if you want to keep BA Gold for the OW Emerald benefits.

If you're doing transcons have you tried Jetblue Mint? They have solo suites on their A321 aircraft that are, IMO, better than AA 321T First, and starting at $599 each way between SFO and JFK. I think they're brilliant and are about the only airline I'll specifically pick ahead of my oneworld preferences.
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=979653

Personally I'm going to stick it with AA/BA/BAEC because I'm striving towards BAEC Lifetime Gold but if I weren't I'd probably hit BA Gold and then start flying other airlines. Living near JFK and with easy access to LGA I've got very decent DL, AA and B6 service.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I'd go with the advice of QueenOfCoach. Sticking with one airline/alliance should make sense financially and convenience wise.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
It is an interesting question in light of your location and the key benefit of GCH in the US which is lounge access. Free Guoc in the afternoon at SFO AAdmirals only goes so far. If you were down here in LA, it would be a little easier to decide, as flagship access would be a huge upside (that is, when it opens). Longest lounge revamp in history and flagship accommodations currently dire.....
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:23 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Personally I would credit everything to AA and obtain Exec Platinum and use those benefits.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
In my experience, aside from increased mileage earnings, a lot of the loyalty perks are similar to what you gain by purchasing J/F (check-in, priority boarding, baggage allowance). If you are flying in the premium cabins you might just want to stay with the cheapest and get a feel for various airlines and tour the competing hard products.

Switching from BAEC to Aadvantage for your oneworld flights doesn't seem to get you anything, but I say that looking at the status perks, and not how easy or hard it is to earn TPs versus EQD/EQM.

And while I don't blame you about United, what about other StarAlliance partners?

Last edited by Gig103; Mar 23, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Doesn't sound like you're getting much benefit from your BA status, so as others are saying, if you're flying business, so get most status perks anyway, you'll be better off forgetting status and booking what suits/ prices best.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Purim
If you were down here in LA, it would be a little easier to decide, as flagship access would be a huge upside (that is, when it opens). Longest lounge revamp in history and flagship accommodations currently dire.....
Why not use the QF First lounge?....as I do. If you're able to use the AA FL as a BA Gold you're equally able to use the QF First lounge.

Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Personally I would credit everything to AA and obtain Exec Platinum and use those benefits.
If the OP is already flying premium then the main draw of EXP is gone. Bar perhaps the SWUs if they choose to downgrade some of their trips to save cash and use the SWUs in place of revenue J.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by blindy
But they don't have reciprocal benefits with other airlines. Being able to access the Wing in HK as OWE is sometimes appealing.
What type of benefits? Alaska and AA's partnership is decent: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

Plus you can fly AA and earn Alaska award and elite miles (and vice versa):
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by Fraser
Why not use the QF First lounge?....as I do. If you're able to use the AA FL as a BA Gold you're equally able to use the QF First lounge.
A very fair point, but it does not open until 6.30am and its a bit of a schlepp....
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Loyalty is highly overrated these days.

Fly the airline that best suits your needs in term of pricing, schedules, and product, and then you still can earn miles and optimize that.

Maybe earning with AS, BA and a *A Partner would suit your needs?

BA has some strengths when earning and redeeming (eg household accounts for your family) while AS is great too.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blindy
I haven't been living in the UK for nearly 8 months and don't plan to be coming back anytime soon. My BAEC membership year just resent a few weeks ago. So I was wondering which airline program to choose. I am now living in the San Francisco bay area. I have at least 1 transcontinental round trip coming up next month with AA and then a trip to India with BA (I class). There will be at least another 3-4 trips to India/Europe and then a few transcontinental flights within the US. I mostly due I class business fares and cheaper first class fares in the US. In the past with BA, I was able to earn about 3000 TPs.

I really like Alaska and Virgin America and they do have a lot of flights from the smaller SJC airport. But they don't have reciprocal benefits with other airlines. Being able to access the Wing in HK as OWE is sometimes appealing.
What are your objectives from a ffp? (Noted you fly paid I class business/~first a lot)
What do you used the ff miles for?
Do you get ff miles from non flying activities?

So the choice is AA (Oneworld) or AS (many OW & Skyteam partners) with UA as a second ffp, where OW does not work out (schedule and/or price)
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners DL will cease to be an AS partner soon.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.