Search

BA or AA to collect miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 1:15 am
PeS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
BA or AA to collect miles?

I'm going to fly monthly in C from the EU to the US, mostly on the AA metal. So far, I'm booking BA and collecting Avios (will become a Silver on my next flight).
Here's the question: for the best award flight options (which will be again EU to US in C), shall I keep doing this or move to AAdvantage?
Old May 15, 2023, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you're based in Europe as seems the case from your bio, BA (and silver) probably gives the better options for redemptions. Also status is currently a bit easier on BA I think.

If you have a lot of onward travel in the US, the equation shifts a little.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
« It depends » is the basic answer. It really depends on your own specific travel patterns (fares, airlines etc) and priorities (eg lounge v upgrades if flying domestically in the us at all). There are quite a few threads discussing that question so I’d recommend a search to see discussions of specific situations and differences. Obviously as added complication neither programme is guaranteed to stay as it is forever.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:18 am
PeS
Original Poster

My usual pattern will be something like PRG-LHR-DFW-SGF, booked in business, so upgrades and lounges are not an issue, it's the reward options in C what the most important to me. Also, if I stay with BA, I'll be a BA Gold by August. I used to fly LH a lot (SEN for many years) and liked their reward availability, but their current fares are not acceptable.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It depends...

One nuance is that AA can generally see the same J award space as BA for BA metal HOWEVER, it doesn't charge extra miles for any connecting flights in Europe (or North America), unlike Avios. You will still pay the same surcharges. And you will almost never find J award space on AA metal.

Alaska or Asia Miles might be an even better idea than AA, if all you are looking at is earning ratio in BA J vs. reward pricing in J.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by PeS
My usual pattern will be something like PRG-LHR-DFW-SGF, booked in business, so upgrades and lounges are not an issue, it's the reward options in C what the most important to me. Also, if I stay with BA, I'll be a BA Gold by August. I used to fly LH a lot (SEN for many years) and liked their reward availability, but their current fares are not acceptable.
I’d stay with BA for this one (though you’d probably get different answers on the AA forum). BA Avios earning is quite good if you have status and travel in premium cabins. You will probably get a sort of decent chance to use Avios to upgrade to First occasionally, which will make the whole thing a little nicer.
Old May 18, 2023, 3:02 am
PeS
Original Poster

You're right, I'll stick to BA and see in about a year...
BTW, I anyway left the whole concept of chasing the miles for status quite some time ago. If LH was cheaper, I'd fly LH, but BA is consistently much cheaper on this route, hence my question.
Old May 19, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: Skymiles, Avios, Aeroplan
BA for sure. Those deals with IE and IB are the best there are right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.