Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA v AA frequent flyer program - which is better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

Hi everyone- this is my first post on FT.

I've been BA Gold or Silver for the last 10+ years based out of Dublin/London, but have just accepted a transfer to the U.S., based out of Charlotte, NC (which is a US Airways/American hub).

I was keen to hear people's views on whether I should stick with BAEC, or move to American's FFP when I move over?

The key differences I can see are that BA Silver/Gold get lounge access on all Oneworld flights, whereas AA requires a paid membership; on the flipside, AA has an upgrade programme, which BA doesn't...

Thoughts welcome- thank you in advance!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I think you should take a long term view - where do you see yourself in a few years?

I also think its best to belong to the scheme of the airline you do the majority of your travels with. AA is pretty good at giving BA emerald most of the benefits, but it isn't quite the same.

I think the basic tradeoff is:

BA for lounge access in the US and potentially building towards LTG

AA for domestic upgrades and cheaper mileage redemptions

Also AA wont status match, so you will need to build status up with them, if you think AA is a better bet.

PS welcome to the board
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk TomG1981

Originally Posted by TomG1981
Hi everyone- this is my first post on FT.
And I hope it will be the first of many. So welcome to Flyertalk TomG1981, welcome to the BA forum. You pose an interesting question and I hope you will find the answers helpful. And congratulations on your new role.

I would agree that it's a good idea to consider the 5 year horizon on this one, and in particular what really matters to you (e.g. is it lounges, or upgrades within the USA, or RFS, or lower cost redemptions) - which will typically push you in particular directions. Note that one stop US/AA redemptions on BAEC remain very good value for money and more flexible than the local schemes.

I guess a lot may depend on how strong your ties to Europe will be? If you think you need a decent pile of Avios to make trips there, or non stops within the USA, then that suggests BAEC. If you fear long distance trips in Main Cabin from one end of the USA to the other, then that may well push you to AA.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
One factor to consider - how far away is Lifetime Gold given the Op has been Gold/Silver for the past 10 years.

If Lifetime Gold is still far away, then the response is dependant on how the Op uses the scheme.

If the Op intends to undertake a lot of domestic US travel but is only willing to pay economy fare, then AA is the way to go. AA upgrades for free on domestic flights but you can use a limited number upgrade vouchers for international sectors.

If the Op intends to undertake paid transatlantic flights but in economy, then AA is the way to go.

If the Op intends to undertake transatlantic flights using miles/Avios but avoiding paying the BA redemption surcharge, then AA is still the way to go.

If the Op is travelling in business class fares on transatlantic/international routes, then BA is the better option to gain status quickly for the year.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:57 am

I'd suggest working out how much you value 1 Avios vs 1 AA mile.

Personally I value AA miles at at least twice as highly as Avios, plus the redemption chart looks much better value*, plus the cash component of many AA redemptions is peanuts (compared to BA)

* for the moment!

If I could trade all my Avios 1:1 for AA miles I'd do it in a heartbeat. If I could wind the clock back, I'd have credited a lot more flights to AA rather than BAEC.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Plat
I get better value from my Avios on AA domestic flights than using AA miles.
Short-haul I like Avios. No penalty for close-in booking also.
I would happily swap my AA miles for Avios if it was permitted.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Also AA wont status match, so you will need to build status up with them, if you think AA is a better bet.
They won't status match, but they'll let you do a challenge.

Read more about that here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...atinum-20.html
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by ukgooner
They won't status match, but they'll let you do a challenge.
...and it's not exactly expensive or hard to fulfil AA's Plat challenge, which is 10k EQPs. One BA WT+ l/h return could be enough.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Personally I value AA miles at at least twice as highly as Avios, plus the redemption chart looks much better value*, plus the cash component of many AA redemptions is peanuts (compared to BA)

* for the moment!

If I could trade all my Avios 1:1 for AA miles I'd do it in a heartbeat. If I could wind the clock back, I'd have credited a lot more flights to AA rather than BAEC.
These are exactly the same as my thoughts too.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It's an interesting question as I have also moved to the US (living in Las Vegas) and although I will retain Gold this year (which will take me through to the end of 2016) I'm wondering whether to start crediting flights to my AA account.

One of the big advantages of retaining Gold is the ability to access the AA Flagship lounges even when flying on domestic flights within the US, a benefit that is denied to AA's own Executive Platinum card holders.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:48 pm

One thing I forgot to add: I made significant headway towards LTG when I lived in the US so that might be worth bearing in mind.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad

* for the moment!

Yes but you aren't exactly keen on BA generally though.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Another plus for AA: they have Anytime Awards as an option. 2x the points but you get last seat availability, and it is nice to be able to have the option of getting a seat regardless of capacity controls. As others have pointed out, on AA metal there are no surcharges so this is another point in AA's favor.

Personally I think it is totally lopsided in favor of AA. I accumulate Avios with my Chase Visa and credit all my flying to AA.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you objectives from a ffp?
BA vs AA is a common question

BA is good for short haul awards
AA is good for long haul awards

Some of these are ~2013
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-not-join.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...tive-club.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etirement.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...-programs.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by Geordie405

One of the big advantages of retaining Gold is the ability to access the AA Flagship lounges even when flying on domestic flights within the US, a benefit that is denied to AA's own Executive Platinum card holders.
Yes, but don't forget that the only Flagship lounges within the US are at JFK, LAX and ORD. JFK and LAX are nice. ORD wasn't that special last time I was there, but that was a few years ago and it is still better than the other lounges there.

With regard to domestic US lounge access generally, this is often rightly advanced as an advantage of being BA silver or gold over AA platinum or executive platinum. But, access to the AA (and QF) lounges can be purchased with cash or AA miles. The price varies according to status, but for an AA platinum it would be $450 for the first year and reduces for renewals. There have often been promotions offering discounts of $50. Paid membership is more advantageous than status based access as it enables the member to admit up to 6 guests and there is no requirement to be departing on a oneworld flight (or any flight).

So, I think in many cases AA will be the way to go as probably the biggest benefit of BA can be bettered by spending £300 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.