Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

What alternative FF programs are there to Etihad? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Specifically those based in Abu Dhabi, what is an alternative FFP option we can look into?

Is the answer none?

If so, this probably explains why EY is able to do all the cuts... there's no real competition for them at least from within AUH

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 20, 2018 at 1:40 pm Reason: Moved from 8-yr-old thread
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
EK from dxb.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:18 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
There are plenty of alternatives but the question is highly dependant upon flying frequency, routes, class of service etc etc plus of course, flexibility on stopovers & what it is that one prioritises...status, points upgrades, redemptions, credit card afilliations....YMMV
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:21 pm

If earn/burn is important to you, then AA would be a good choice because the premium redemption levels are noticeably lower in many cases.

However, if you have EY credit cards and/or value having elite status on EY for the benefits (including higher chance of op-up), then there's no real alternatives.

DXB is much easier to go with OW but AUH is pretty much an EY monopoly.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:35 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Bear in mind its only a 60-90 minutes drive to DXB for those that wish to capitalise on OW/*A/ST options @:-)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:47 am
Original Poster

What still works for me (and many of us, I presume) from EY:
Close to airport
Status through credit cards

What I (increasingly) don't like about EY:
Deteriorating product (both Y and J)
Often more expensive (both from redemption + cash purchases) than even the Emirates

I was ready to move my allegiance to Qatar before they got shut off from AUH.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Bear in mind its only a 60-90 minutes drive to DXB for those that wish to capitalise on OW/*A/ST options @:-)
The drive to DXB gets old real fast, though, and adds an additional layer of uncertainty in terms of travel time. DXB T1 is not exactly an airport I am desperate to use, either.
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Close to airport
I would add guaranteed fully flat in J to the list. These days, I go into an EY flight in J with very few expectations other than sleep.
Often more expensive (both from redemption + cash purchases) than even the Emirates
But with the sheer number of miles EY credit cards throw at you (both welcome bonuses and the miles for spend), it probably takes half the time to reach the same award compared to EK.
You and me both. Just my luck that the blockade started two months after I got QR Platinum QR J is vastly superior in just about every way, if you're on a 787/350/380 or a Qsuites 777.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
I would add guaranteed fully flat in J to the list.
Laughable, obviously you have never flown on their ghetto a320's to MAA/CMB or Eastern Europe (including Moscow).
About 70% of all my flying (exclusively in J) is on this aircraft.
QR isn't much better in this regard as apart from a handful of 320's the rest don't have flatbeds and a few of those non-flatbed 320's have the ALMAHA interiors.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:08 am
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
Also, DXB T1 is a veritable pleasure compared to the carnage of AUH
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Close to airport

You are mixing the airline and the airline frequent flyer program. They are not one and the same.
You can fly one airline and credit to another airlines ffp

The grass in not always greener on the other side
cairns likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoY
Also, DXB T1 is a veritable pleasure compared to the carnage of AUH
Got to wonder if the Midfield terminal will become the largest RyanAir hub in the world !
All jokes aside, they won't have much to offer at this rate

I was invited to a day of helping define what the new terminal would be all about, they didn't know I was a Platinum frequent flyer with the airline it was just complete chance, it was meant to have a sub Louvre a theme park and all these unbelievably expensive things in sound dead spaces and weird and wonderful lights and so on - one wonders what will make the cut ?

they're accelerating the road building etc though a friend who supplies suggested that there's two years of wiring to be done though he's prone to exaggerate

What is the current date anyway?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Got to wonder if the Midfield terminal will become the largest RyanAir hub in the world !
It doesn't need to be a RyanAir hub if it is an Etihad hub!
Although I have heard in the past that RyanAir may in a few years time start scheduling Long-Haul flights with a real flat-bed cabin and fit their EU fleet with real J seats.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by DatBoi
It doesn't need to be a RyanAir hub if it is an Etihad hub!
Although I have heard in the past that RyanAir may in a few years time start scheduling Long-Haul flights with a real flat-bed cabin and fit their EU fleet with real J seats.
No doubt at some point O'Leary will offer Long Haul with Ryanair, I'm not sure why they haven't yet, I know they were looking into it a couple of years ago..
But the flat-bed on LH and J seats on SH? (One could argue their 'priority boarding and extra legroom seat is Ryanair's J offering..)

That sounds weird coming from a company who wanted to charge 50 pence for the use of toilets onboard..
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dogmatick

What is the current date anyway?
you would think that they are at least targeting Expo2020. Missing that would be a terrible loss of face.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Laughable, obviously you have never flown on their ghetto a320's to MAA/CMB or Eastern Europe (including Moscow).
About 70% of all my flying (exclusively in J) is on this aircraft.
QR isn't much better in this regard as apart from a handful of 320's the rest don't have flatbeds and a few of those non-flatbed 320's have the ALMAHA interiors.

Yea I hate those , especially on those after midnight departures where I can't keep my eyes open and just want to snooze for 3-4 hours... But instead I keep tossing and turning to find that sweet spot which doesn't exist and the flight attendant come by to put your seat into upright position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.