Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Should I credit upcoming miles to Miles&Smiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive

I am, and have been for years BAEC Silver. I scrape through to Silver every year, but never gold. Happy with silver benefits like lounge access etc. As a leisure traveller I enjoy visiting the States and South East Asia fairly regularly.
I have been unable to find a decent price for our upcoming trip to Hong Kong and Bangkok on Oneworld flight (Ahhhhh) so have booked with Swiss and Cathay Pacific on one ticket. My question is...should I credit miles to Miles&Smiles or another Star alliance airline. I want to reach Star Alliance Gold (BA Silver equivalent) as easily and quickly as possible but can't work out for the life of me how many status miles the trip will earn or how close or far away from status it will leave us.
Flying Swiss LHR-ZRH in business (D)
Swiss ZRH - HKG business (D)
Cathay HKG -BKK (Z)
Swiss BKK - ZRH (Z)
Swiss ZRH-LHR (Z)
Can anyone tell me how to find out how many status miles this will get me? Also can I credit the Cathay miles to Miles&Smiles or do I need to credit to BAEC?
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Did you check the TK website for info on earnings with TK M&S for partner flights such as Swiss? There is also info on requirements for achieving TK Classic Plus and Elite. You can look up the flight distance on greatcirclemapper website.

CX is not a Star Alliance carrier so you can't credit CX flights to TK M&S. BAEC will do.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You're not going to get anywhere close to *G with a single return trip to Asia. And unless you are regularly flying *A airlines in Economy, you don't really need the elite status anyhow.

Take a look at wheretocredit.com for the best mileage earning ratios for your flights. Then make your decision based on the mileage expiry policies of the various options. TK is a bad option because your miles expire after three years - no exceptions except paying - and there are very limited ways to top up your account without flights
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: Air France KLM Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by edufl
Flying Swiss LHR-ZRH in business (D)
Swiss ZRH - HKG business (D)
Cathay HKG -BKK (Z)
Swiss BKK - ZRH (Z)
Swiss ZRH-LHR (Z)
Can anyone tell me how to find out how many status miles this will get me? Also can I credit the Cathay miles to Miles&Smiles or do I need to credit to BAEC?
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks

Using https://www.owenrudge.net/utils/starcalc/?p=TK it is very easy to calculate your mileage accruel on TK M&S. You assume correctly that CX flights do not accrue on TK M&S.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very broad guide . Calculating status earnings can be hard (but good link above)
https://www.wheretocredit.com/swiss
https://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways

Are the CX flights with CX flight number or code shared with LX flight number?
Code shares can be problematic.
And if not in the same alliance even more so. At times can only be credited to the operating airline ffp or the marketing carrier and not to a 3rd airline ffp. Buyer beware.
But from WTC for D class to LX do note "Cathay Pacific Airways Asia Miles (CX, KA) Select routes only'

FT thread--> Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Objectives from a ffp?
What will status do for you? If flying paid business class status does not do much.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 21, 2023 at 4:03 pm
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Did you check the TK website for info on earnings with TK M&S for partner flights such as Swiss? There is also info on requirements for achieving TK Classic Plus and Elite. You can look up the flight distance on greatcirclemapper website.

CX is not a Star Alliance carrier so you can't credit CX flights to TK M&S. BAEC will do.
Thanks SK. I did check TK website but couldn't find the calculator. I'll check out greatcirclemapper. Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A very broad guide . Calculating status earnings can be hard (but good link above)
https://www.wheretocredit.com/swiss
https://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways

Are the CX flights with CX flight number or code shared with LX flight number?
Code shares can be problematic.
And if not in the same alliance even more so. At times can only be credited to the operating airline ffp or the marketing carrier and not to a 3rd airline ffp. Buyer beware.
But from WTC for D class to LX do note "Cathay Pacific Airways Asia Miles (CX, KA) Select routes only'

FT thread--> Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Objectives from a ffp?
What will status do for you? If flying paid business class status does not do much.
Thanks for your response. CX flights are not code share so I guess will have to be credited to BAEC. Main objective for FFP is to secure lounge access, luggage and seat selection for short haul flights in economy. I always try and find cheap business class flights for long haul but happy to travel economy for more frequent short hops around europe. I also have a couple of short haul reward flights each year which I appreciate. I will have a good look at the thread you have provided link for. Thanks again.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no calculator but you will find the earning level (%-rate) for Swiss booking classes on the website. Once you have the distance from greatcirclemapper you can calculate the exact miles earned for each flight. Anyway the info has already been provided to you by ivanwmc
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ivanwmc

Using https://www.owenrudge.net/utils/starcalc/?p=TK it is very easy to calculate your mileage accruel on TK M&S. You assume correctly that CX flights do not accrue on TK M&S.
This is fantastic, thanks so much. Was exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond so helpfully. Hope you are having a great weekend.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You're not going to get anywhere close to *G with a single return trip to Asia. And unless you are regularly flying *A airlines in Economy, you don't really need the elite status anyhow.

Take a look at wheretocredit.com for the best mileage earning ratios for your flights. Then make your decision based on the mileage expiry policies of the various options. TK is a bad option because your miles expire after three years - no exceptions except paying - and there are very limited ways to top up your account without flights
Thanks Craig. A single 4 leg return trip to Asia will usually get me at least half way to silver BAEC so was hoping it would be the same with Miles&Smiles. This would then inform who we might fly with for another trip later in the year. Looking at wheretocredit it seems it might not be the best idea to go with Miles&Smiles. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Really helpful. ,
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I can’t tell what the elite status bonuses are on Where to Credit? As a Gold on United, do you get an additional bonus on top of the 125% for a non-016 ticket?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: Air France KLM Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I can’t tell what the elite status bonuses are on Where to Credit? As a Gold on United, do you get an additional bonus on top of the 125% for a non-016 ticket?
Try owenrudge:
https://www.owenrudge.net/utils/starcalc/?p=TK
Or
Travel-dealz:
https://travel-dealz.com/tools/miles-calculator/
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ivanwmc
Thank you! Looks interesting, but doesn't work for UA. It keeps delivering "e.value.reduce is not a function"
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will not get any Elite bonus when flying UA.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:59 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Also OP needs to be aware that there is a cultural difference between *A and oneWorld - complimentary access to better seats is not part of the *G package (apart from own airline in most cases)...

A big advantage of TK*G is very easy re-qualification - IMHO worth taking into consideration...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.