Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to switch programs for me?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Question Time to switch programs for me?

Hello All!

Although I haven't posted anything, this forum has been a great source of information for me regarding anything related to aeroplan/altitude. So thank you!

I've been a 35K, 50K, and 75K member for the last few years, but unfortunately won't have a status for 2017. However I should be able to get one for 2018, although I'm not sure if Altitude is still right for me.

I will have almost no domestic destinations this year, lots of US and a few International. This is work related economy travel mostly.

For US travel, its seems like Delta flights would be slightly more convenient for me, but my home base is YUL and I would like to keep the benefit of using the Maple leaf lounge (The only transborder lounge at YUL).

So right now I'm looking into switching over to United's Premier program. Majority of my flights have been on United metal anyways. Has anybody had the chance to use both (Aeroplan and Premier)? How do they compare?

The main benefit for me is lounge access, both transborder and international. Free class upgrades are also a big bonus and I think I would prefer United's system. I have like 50 credit on Air Canada expiring this month because so many of my US flights didn't have a business class (AC From YYZ). Also, its not worth it for me to pay 500$ and eupgrade for international flights. Does United have this charge?

Also, how does Aeroplan points compare to MileagePlus? It's easier to accumulate Aeroplan points because of credit cards in canada, but it seems to be getting less and less valuable so I'll just use a different rewards card.

I apologize for the long text, but any help is very appreciated!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
if you dont fly in Canada you dont need to suffer AC poor program.
If you can get UA 1k program you are light years ahead.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by stgle
Hello All!

Although I haven't posted anything, this forum has been a great source of information for me regarding anything related to aeroplan/altitude. So thank you!

I've been a 35K, 50K, and 75K member for the last few years, but unfortunately won't have a status for 2017. However I should be able to get one for 2018, although I'm not sure if Altitude is still right for me.

I will have almost no domestic destinations this year, lots of US and a few International. This is work related economy travel mostly.

For US travel, its seems like Delta flights would be slightly more convenient for me, but my home base is YUL and I would like to keep the benefit of using the Maple leaf lounge (The only transborder lounge at YUL).

So right now I'm looking into switching over to United's Premier program. Majority of my flights have been on United metal anyways. Has anybody had the chance to use both (Aeroplan and Premier)? How do they compare?

The main benefit for me is lounge access, both transborder and international. Free class upgrades are also a big bonus and I think I would prefer United's system. I have like 50 credit on Air Canada expiring this month because so many of my US flights didn't have a business class (AC From YYZ). Also, its not worth it for me to pay 500$ and eupgrade for international flights. Does United have this charge?

Also, how does Aeroplan points compare to MileagePlus? It's easier to accumulate Aeroplan points because of credit cards in canada, but it seems to be getting less and less valuable so I'll just use a different rewards card.

I apologize for the long text, but any help is very appreciated!
Join the airline FF program that you fly the most. Remember, the big 3 US airlines have changed to programs on pax's that fly their lowest fares.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flybit
if you dont fly in Canada you dont need to suffer AC poor program.
If you can get UA 1k program you are light years ahead.
I doubt i would reach 1K, Gold most likely, Platinum possibly. Hmm it seems I don't need as much PQD if I'm not a US citizen citizen, that makes it very interesting.

Air Canada has a few International destinations that are interesting (and not having to connect through US), but the eupgrqade international fee kills it for me.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Join the airline FF program that you fly the most. Remember, the big 3 US airlines have changed to programs on pax's that fly their lowest fares.
This is the best recommendation by far.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WR Cage
This is the best recommendation by far.
I agree completely.

However, I usually have a choice to the cities I fly to, Delta is only slightly better for me in US, so I've still been flying with United/Air Canada because of star alliance which is better international for me. Even AA, works sometimes for me. My US destinations are also changing quite often, so I have a good choice of airlines usually...

I guess I'm leaning more towards United
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stgle
I doubt i would reach 1K, Gold most likely, Platinum possibly. Hmm it seems I don't need as much PQD if I'm not a US citizen citizen, that makes it very interesting.

Air Canada has a few International destinations that are interesting (and not having to connect through US), but the eupgrqade international fee kills it for me.
As Gold/Platinum, you will not be upgrading any international flights on UA at all.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
As Gold/Platinum, you will not be upgrading any international flights on UA at all.
Even domestic/TB might not be so easy. Although there are a bunch of UA-lovers who hang around the AC forum just to troll those of us who fly AC and claim to have virtually 100% upgrade success, having schedule flexibility to plan flights based on upgradability and having 1K status make that a lot easier. If you're flying for work (i.e. less flexible schedule) and don't have 1K/GS, I don't imagine you're going to clear many CPUs even on TB/US domestic.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:57 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
mileage plus is far better than aeroplan, particularly if majority of your flying is to or within the usa. i find it easier to cpu on canadian flights although ordyyz and ordyvr are tough. i even cpu'd twice as a silver.

upgrades on domestic flights don't matter; it's a nice perk. free e+ and a much better app and wifi systemwide make ua worth it. and no yq. and wider availability for awards.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
I fly YUL as mt primary airport to and also like the MLL.

So, I still fly all Air Canada flights - with YUL as your base - you almost have no choice most of the time. But, I post the miles to Aegean Airlines - so I have Star Alliance Gold status which provides me access to the lounge whenever I fly. It's easier to qualify for Gold on Aegean than either United or Aeroplan.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by codesinvan
I fly YUL as mt primary airport to and also like the MLL.

So, I still fly all Air Canada flights - with YUL as your base - you almost have no choice most of the time. But, I post the miles to Aegean Airlines - so I have Star Alliance Gold status which provides me access to the lounge whenever I fly. It's easier to qualify for Gold on Aegean than either United or Aeroplan.
If you're willing to go to Greece. Making *G on A3 requires 4 flights on A3 metal to get the cheap qualification at 24K miles. For many people, that's not a practical option. If you don't want to fly A3, you need 48K miles, at which point you probably might as well just go for E50K on AC. I suspect that AC or UA is a better option for the OP.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 5, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
if you could have got 1k you would have been light years ahead. Also looks like you are flying to Asia that's UA's strength. For international you would get E+ and most UA 777 have not gone to Rouge seating like AC. However UA is starting to get new international planes that will be 10 across.

tough call, UA is certainly much easier to upgrade international flights and NO FEES. (AC has very few business class seats compared to UA)
However you would have to trade for GPU's, so if you switch, get posting, you need 100 posts to trade.
Whatever program you switch to will be a welcome improvement to AC.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Even domestic/TB might not be so easy. Although there are a bunch of UA-lovers who hang around the AC forum just to troll those of us who fly AC and claim to have virtually 100% upgrade success, having schedule flexibility to plan flights based on upgradability and having 1K status make that a lot easier. If you're flying for work (i.e. less flexible schedule) and don't have 1K/GS, I don't imagine you're going to clear many CPUs even on TB/US domestic.
Depends on route, but for the UA domestic flights I take, with 1K I probably would never clear for CPUs because I book very close in... I just avoid the chance and buy F. UA F vs Y is like 5% premium in my experience, assuming it's not F0 with a bunch of cheapening CPUs. I do see plenty of check-marks on UA's upgrade list at T-24h so I'd assume 1Ks are filling those seats.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:31 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
if you could have got 1k you would have been light years ahead. Also looks like you are flying to Asia that's UA's strength. For international you would get E+ and most UA 777 have not gone to Rouge seating like AC. However UA is starting to get new international planes that will be 10 across.
correct on the 10x but they will still have e+. this is a huge perk, i do not know of any *a that gives its elites virtually guaranteed 34" seating for them+1 (or for plats and 1k +8). and silver with ua over ac is a no brainer.

also ua does not have free booze on long haul (beyond tetra packed wine during meal service), you can buy expired or super old/no expiry drink chits on a certain undisclosed auction website for $1-2 a piece. all crews take them provided you don't have a pmua ord ratchet. a lot of the time if you build a rapport with the crew they'll just give you free unlimited booze and tell you to put them chits away.

very happy to have had my flying shifted to ua although in all fairness, in terms of hard & soft product ac is equally decent (and you don't have to build bridges to get free unlimited booze), ALTHOUGH i will argue that ua up front in domestic has gotten better than ac, ALTHOUGH ac does have a much better breakfast omelette. but no sundaes.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:09 am

OP, have you considered a credit card that would get you access to the MLL? The Amex Aeroplan Platinum should get you into the MLL.

tough call, UA is certainly much easier to upgrade international flights and NO FEES. (AC has very few business class seats compared to UA)
However you would have to trade for GPU's, so if you switch, get posting, you need 100 posts to trade.
Whatever program you switch to will be a welcome improvement to AC.
Did you read the OP? You're talking about flights to Asia for someone who is talking about flying to/from/within the US and upgrading international flights to someone who says lounge access is the most important part of the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.