Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Second frequent flyer programme recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Apologies in advance for this newbie question. I am a member of the BA executive Club (Silver) and want to sign up to a second frequent flyer programme of another airline. Since I have no intention of aiming for BA executive Club Gold I would be grateful for any recommendations of a frequent flyer programme which has good redemption, and allows me to fly worldwide. I am a digital nomad and live full time in AirBnB, I currently take about 30 flights per year, half are long haul across the world, half are within Europe and I usually fly business class. Many of the frequent flyer programmes I have seen reviewed here seem to be quite difficult to find redemptions or have high fuel surcharges.

I already have 2 Amex cards to collect points, but am unsure of which programme to transfer them to also. Ideally i'd like an airline with a large global reach, like BA. Currently I book premium with BA and use Avios to upgrade to Club World.

Is there a programme with good redemption and lowish fuel charges?

thanks in advance and apologies if this has already been covered in previous posts.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Welcome to FT, Eighty9ine and a very warm welcome to the BA forum! I hope you'll find yourself at ease here and even if you decide to slow down on the BA flying to feed another FFP will find the discussions here interesting and useful.

To be honest, your question is probably not best addressed here as it is really not relevant to BA. My recommendations would be that depending on the airlines that you tend to fly, you browse the fora for the main other FFPs in Europe (or your area if you are from somewhere else), so AF-KL, LH, TK, and the more unusual suspects like SK, A3, AZ, etc to see which ones correspond to your interests and flying patterns. Almost all fora will have some sort of dashboard/general information towards the top and you can then ask people in the relevant forum questions about their FFP if some things remain unclear.

Most of us have multiple FFP affiliations so you won't be alone in looking for a second card in your wallet, and you'll find many of us in the relevant other fora again!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Welcome Eighty9ine!

In addition to the excellent answer orbitmic has given, you might want to check out Miles & More. While the Lufthansa program itself is not particularly great, it has a large number of smaller European partner airlines that could work with the travel pattern you outlined. They also do credit cards that will stop your miles expiring.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And another welcome from me, Eighty9ine, welcome to the forum.

From what I can make out, having AA is an attractive option if that matches your travel schedule, my guess is that is a popular backup within oneworld but one needs to be wary of ending up with relatively small pools of airmiles within one alliance. The one oddball that comes up from time to time is AS (Alaska) since by all accounts they have a good set-up over there.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for such a warm welcome and feedback

Firstly, apologies for posting in the wrong place, I read its against forum guidelines to repost elsewhere in the forum so I will keep the discussion here. Thanks so much for for both your feedback and such warm welcomes. I did not realise that most frequent flyers have multiple frequent flyer accounts, but it makes complete sense.

I've been reviewing the Miles & More recommended by LCY8737 and it seems good, especially because of the smaller airlines I can redeem on, and most of my clients being across Europe. I really appreciate your feedback and wish you all good weekends.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
You might want to post this in the OneWorld forum, see what folk their find is the best non-OneWorld programme.

Im not currently collecting or crediting them, but Singapore has a large collection of partner airlines, including Virgin Atlantic and some Asian cheapies, and is in Star Alliance. Redemption rates seem OK.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eighty9ine Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Eighty9ine
I am a member of the BA executive Club (Silver) and want to sign up to a second frequent flyer programme of another airline. Since I have no intention of aiming for BA executive Club Gold I would be grateful for any recommendations of a frequent flyer programme which has good redemption, and allows me to fly worldwide. I am a digital nomad and live full time in AirBnB, I currently take about 30 flights per year, half are long haul across the world, half are within Europe and I usually fly business class. Many of the frequent flyer programmes I have seen reviewed here seem to be quite difficult to find redemptions or have high fuel surcharges.

I already have 2 Amex cards to collect points, but am unsure of which programme to transfer them to also. Ideally I'd like an airline with a large global reach, like BA. Currently I book premium with BA and use Avios to upgrade to Club World.

Is there a programme with good redemption and lowish fuel charges?
What airlines do you fly?
For a second ffp you are better going for an airline on another alliance (Not oneworld)
This site gives a guide on ff partners for a particular airline --->https://www.wheretocredit.com/

As a guess you are wanting premium awards given what you fly now. As many airlines are in one of the 3 major alliance (oneworld, skyteam, star) so finding an award on the airline/partners can/is hard, even though very nominally awards are available to all ffp's. But in practise it does vary. Finding long haul business awards is often hard.

Not all ffp's have surcharges. For example AA does not have surcharges, unless the award is on BA.
Award guide AwardHacker

What airlines can you Amex points be transferred? Depends on the Amex country of issue. Awardhacker also cc partners
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
It's certainly a good idea to have a second programme. I use VS interchangeably with BA. On the routes I use most frequently they complement each other fairly well in the sense that if there's no club world availability there are often redemptions in Upper Class, or vice versa. Star Alliance seems to have good global coverage but I have not explored the partner airlines for availability.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:57 pm

Hi Eighty9ine. I'm doing the same thing. I've decided to stick with amex travel partners for the time being so I always have a way of earning miles by card spend.

Was going to go with AAdvantage myself as the costs are astonishing compared to what we're used to paying out of the UK. There seems to be an issue with phantom award availability and that's turning me off a little although that may well be a noob knee jerk reaction and it isn't so bad. For UK based people the best bet seems to be transferring Marriott points over in batches of 60,000 for 25,000 miles as AA pulled their UK credit cards.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The one oddball that comes up from time to time is AS (Alaska) since by all accounts they have a good set-up over there.
Alaska has a very generous programme, of course you need to be in their network. Since moving to San Francisco I use them a lot. I first I was just crediting to BA (and getting pitiful amounts of Avios) until I figured out that I could get status and reward flights very quickly.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much, their programme seems great
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks, do you also have a recommendation of an airline in the star alliance or the SkyTeam if I used the UK as a hub to fly from? I still have family there so can always sty overnight and say hello to them if need be.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I checked Virgin and the fuel surcharge seemed to be quite high (almost the cost of the flight), is this normal or do I have unrealistic expectations?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Eighty9ine Welcome to FT

What airlines do you fly?
For a second ffp you are better going for an airline on another alliance (Not oneworld)
This site gives a guide on ff partners for a particular airline --->https://www.wheretocredit.com/

As a guess you are wanting premium awards given what you fly now. As many airlines are in one of the 3 major alliance (oneworld, skyteam, star) so finding an award on the airline/partners can/is hard, even though very nominally awards are available to all ffp's. But in practise it does vary. Finding long haul business awards is often hard.

Not all ffp's have surcharges. For example AA does not have surcharges, unless the award is on BA.
Award guide AwardHacker

What airlines can you Amex points be transferred? Depends on the Amex country of issue. Awardhacker also cc partners
Thanks very much for your response, I've mainly flown BA due to being a member of the Executive club but I am happy to switch to another airline with a suitable route network. It's advantageous for me to fly through the UK as I have family there.

Ideally what I wish to recreate is what I have with BA, where I can easily upgrade from premium to business on most flights and use their lounges. My Amex can transfer points to BA, Virgin, Alitalia, Asia Miles, Delta, Emirates, Etihad, Finnair, Air France/KLM, Iberia and KrisFlyer.

Which would you opt for?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP

FFPs change without much notice......devaluation is common.....availability may get squeezes if size of fleet does not rise faster....

So ultimately it is up to you, which airline and alliance will serve you during your "regular" flights and which alliance has a member / partner that will take you to places on your bucket places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.