Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

For those leaving AA, where are you going?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

For those leaving AA, what programs did you find that meet your needs? I've hit my limit with AA's incompetence. I vowed back in July to not fly them again, but still had a few bookings with them that I couldn't get refunded. Those have just served as reminders of why to not fly them. I'm down to just 1 trip remaining in January and it's booked with miles, so I'll leave that for now. However, I need to figure out my 2023 strategy.

I'm OKC based, AA plat. Probably 60% comes from credit card, 40% comes from flying under the current program rules. I'll probably end this qualification year around 80-85k LPs. I fly a mix of paid Y and J domestically, and Y+ usually on international trips unless I upgrade.

I think the logical choice based on routes and network, as well as price, would have been United. Delta out of OKC tends to be a bit more expensive, and the hubs are all 700+ miles away, vs DFW for AA and IAH for UA. Alaska would force a lot of long connections as well, unless I flew on AA which is what I am trying to avoid. Not looking to go LCC/ULCC as I need an international route network.

UA presents some challenges due to how PQPs are earned with my flying and spending patterns I estimate I'd be somewhere around 4000 PQP. They are a little more expensive, but not enough to be a concern and it's worth getting away from AA. A friend has suggesting Turkish for a points program with flying on UA, so going to look into that as well, although the lack of a US credit card for Turkish may kill that option.

So, the question for everyone that has left AA - especially those around Plat - what solution worked best for you?

Last edited by bchandler02; Dec 14, 2022 at 10:22 am
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The grass isn't greener anywhere else. UA and DL have the same threads. What is everyone just going to rotate from program to program? The FFP's of the past are just that--a memory. These are the new rules and like 'em or hate them they are here to stay.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's an individual evaluation.

There is certainly a discussion regarding loyalty program. And then there is the airline itself. (otherwise Delta wouldn't exist because Skymiles is so worthless)

You can jump to UA for example and become a TK elite. but then you won't get any preferred seating in Y, upgrades, etc. But you would get lounge access.

So you really have to decide what you value most and then choose the airline / loyalty program that delivers it to you. Being briefly unhappy with AA doesn't mean that UA, DL, etc. would have treated you any differently...
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
The grass isn't greener anywhere else. UA and DL have the same threads. What is everyone just going to rotate from program to program? The FFP's of the past are just that--a memory. These are the new rules and like 'em or hate them they are here to stay.
Sure, every airline has their mishaps, but I would argue it has been much more frequent and much worse - down to unethical (such as AA promising me a $400 refund a few months back, not giving it, and a month later claiming they had no record of that - it took an EECB to the C-Suite to get them to stick to their word).

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's an individual evaluation.

There is certainly a discussion regarding loyalty program. And then there is the airline itself. (otherwise Delta wouldn't exist because Skymiles is so worthless)

You can jump to UA for example and become a TK elite. but then you won't get any preferred seating in Y, upgrades, etc. But you would get lounge access.

So you really have to decide what you value most and then choose the airline / loyalty program that delivers it to you. Being briefly unhappy with AA doesn't mean that UA, DL, etc. would have treated you any differently...
Absolutely. I have an idea of which benefits are important to me, but that's the reason for asking this - I want to hear from others what worked well and what didn't and factor that into my decision. And this isn't briefly unhappy - this has been repetitive on the majority of my trips in 2021 and 2022. I always tell people at work that the issue isn't usually the issue, it's how you handle it. AA has failed miserably in handling these repeatedly - lies from airport staff, lies from CS, broken promises, miserable hotels and staff that didn't care, etc.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I won't quit AA until another airline services us here in Stillwater (OK). I won't go back to 2AM wake up calls to catch 5AM flights out of OKC or TUL.

But, if I was in OKC, I would seriously consider United. I like their partner airlines for international flights (ANA and Singapore) and their own international network is good, and their hubs make for convenient connections from these parts for domestic hops (DEN and ORD >> ATL and MSP). Before I went to AA, I organically used United 70% of the time due to price, options, and overall always had good experiences with them. Polaris is also nice, and they also are committed to new planes with seatback screens. Can't speak all that highly about their rewards program from what I have seen (but I can't speak all that highly for AAdvantage either).
unitedbusiness and WVmike like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I'm OKC based, AA plat. Probably 60% comes from credit card, 40% comes from flying under the current program rules. I'll probably end this qualification year around 80-85k LPs. I fly a mix of paid Y and J domestically, and Y+ usually on international trips unless I upgrade.

I think the logical choice based on routes and network, as well as price, would have been United. Delta out of OKC tends to be a bit more expensive, and the hubs are all 700+ miles away, vs DFW for AA and IAH for UA. Alaska would force a lot of long connections as well, unless I flew on AA which is what I am trying to avoid. Not looking to go LCC/ULCC as I need an international route network.
It seems you've already made up your mind, but I'd really consider the bolded points before jumping ship. As an AA Plat, I'd be willing to bet you get upgraded on a decent number of flights and at the very least, get Main Cabin Extra. As a mid-tier elite on Delta, you may struggle to even get Comfort+ and find yourself halfway down a 40 person upgrade list for FC. And do you really want to go through ATL or MSP every time you want to go somewhere?

The issues you are describing are not unique to AA. The DL and UA forums are full of similar complaints and users wondering if they, too, should jump ship.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
It seems you've already made up your mind, but I'd really consider the bolded points before jumping ship. As an AA Plat, I'd be willing to bet you get upgraded on a decent number of flights and at the very least, get Main Cabin Extra. As a mid-tier elite on Delta, you may struggle to even get Comfort+ and find yourself halfway down a 40 person upgrade list for FC. And do you really want to go through ATL or MSP every time you want to go somewhere?

The issues you are describing are not unique to AA. The DL and UA forums are full of similar complaints and users wondering if they, too, should jump ship.
Exactly unless you're a CK or maybe a high spend EXP you've become just another face in the crowd. Ditto same kind of scenario on DL and UA. That being said I would never, ever, never, never, ever depend upon AA to figure out how to get me where I'm going when things go awry, which they do on all airlines. I do the research, pick the options and hopefully if I'm at in an AC get the AC staff to reticket. Otherwise, hope I can get through to the EXP desk for find an available GA.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:14 am

I feel loyalty is more about convenience than anything else. Look at your home airport and your frequent destinations. At OKC, by far the most common flight is OKC-DFW on AA, and DFW is the only major airport in driving distance, so that may affect your decision as well (you will inevitably at some point need a last minute flight that's $2k out of OKC and $400 out of DFW so it's wise to account for that). Also consider where you travel abroad and which partners get you there the best. Yes, we all know AA staff and overall experience can be awful. Yes, DL has IFE screens in practically every seat, and yes AA and UA are much better for upgrading on short-haul routes as a mid-tier elite. But at the end of the day you need to get from place A to place B in a reasonable amount of time, and that should probably determine how you do it above all else.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:15 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I came to AA from DL for two reasons:

1. Easier to purchase day-of-departure upgrades/use Miles+Co-Pay to J for international flights
2. Much better International Saver Awards in J.

Now, I am just stuck so I'm not going anywhere.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bchandler02
For those leaving AA, what programs did you find that meet your needs? I've hit my limit with AA's incompetence. I vowed back in July to not fly them again, but still had a few bookings with them that I couldn't get refunded. Those have just served as reminders of why to not fly them. I'm down to just 1 trip remaining in January and it's booked with miles, so I'll leave that for now. However, I need to figure out my 2023 strategy.

UA presents some challenges due to how PQPs are earned with my flying and spending patterns I estimate I'd be somewhere around 4000 PQP. They are a little more expensive, but not enough to be a concern and it's worth getting away from AA. A friend has suggesting Turkish for a points program with flying on UA, so going to look into that as well, although the lack of a US credit card for Turkish may kill that option.

So, the question for everyone that has left AA - especially those around Plat - what solution worked best for you?
I didn't leave AA, but I did take Amtrak long-distance trains for a few trips. That was a mistake.

The grass isn't greener on the other side, if the other side is Amtrak. It's brown, burnt and full of weeds.
Daze, mxracer95 and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I won't quit AA until another airline services us here in Stillwater (OK). I won't go back to 2AM wake up calls to catch 5AM flights out of OKC or TUL.

But, if I was in OKC, I would seriously consider United. I like their partner airlines for international flights (ANA and Singapore) and their own international network is good, and their hubs make for convenient connections from these parts for domestic hops (DEN and ORD >> ATL and MSP). Before I went to AA, I organically used United 70% of the time due to price, options, and overall always had good experiences with them. Polaris is also nice, and they also are committed to new planes with seatback screens. Can't speak all that highly about their rewards program from what I have seen (but I can't speak all that highly for AAdvantage either).
Yes, being in SWO it makes sense to stick with AA due to schedule. If I had a clear path to decent status with UA, it'd probably be a done deal - but the limitations of CC contribution really kill it for me. Then again, they probably operate better because they are an airline with a credit card, not a bank with some planes like AA these days.

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently

Not necessarily. If the UA card would get me closer to status, it would be made up, but the 2023 program makes it much tougher.
On AA, I get a decent amount of upgrades to and from OKC, but to and from the hubs to my destinations are very hit and miss. I've been 20+ on a 40+ deep list multiple times.
The lack of a Y+ seat is a major factor since I can't count on upgrades and pay for F when I really want it. I never book a flight if I can't get MCE on it - which I do get for free as a plat and would want to maintain something similar in another program. However, that MCE seat is becoming less valuable when it means I am getting stuck overnight or home at 2:30AM because American is being American't.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I didn't leave AA, but I did take Amtrak long-distance trains for a few trips. That was a mistake.

The grass isn't greener on the other side, if the other side is Amtrak. It's brown, burnt and full of weeds.
Amtrak delays also make airline delays look like nothing. I usually use the train to go downstate and it's an absolute mess. Just hours of sitting around waiting for freight trains to pass. It's gotten to the point where I'll happily drive even if it's rush hour traffic out of the city.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:35 pm

It's hard to imagine a better domestic network, especially given AS and B6 earn miles and reciprocity on most benefits, not to mention codeshare on most routes. Unless you're in ATL, SLC, DEN or the NYC area, I'm not sure you'll find what you're looking for elsewhere. Plus AAdvantage redemptions are unbeatable on the likes of Qatar, JAL, etc.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
I'm an EP and fly 125+ segments a year. AA has been annoying my on their complete refusal to work with me on a certain policy change. Both DL and UA have granted this exception as well as a status match to Diamond/1K. If AA does not answer my most recent email (going on 2 weeks now), I am jumping ship to one of them. Most likely DL but not 100% certain yet.
boss315 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm actually surprised to hear that the general consensus is that AA is the best of the worst.
AB Dada likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.