Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best frequent flier program for Australian who travels to EU, Asia -and- the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best frequent flier program for Australian who travels to EU, Asia -and- the US?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:25 am
Original Poster

I will be travelling all over the place the next few years for work and vacations and will break it up into zones rather than routes:

20% asia
30% usa
20% australia
30% Europe

I can get credit cards in the US, Australia or the UK.

What would the best setup be for me?

I'm thinking Alaska Airlines for US domestic and US->Australia,

But what about Australia to Asia and Europe? British Airways? Qantas/Star Alliance?

My goal is comfort, mostly elite status with upgrades. (Why I like MVP Gold on Alaska)

Would like to know if theres an international upgrade option for any elite tiers flying Europe/Australia/Asia.

Thanks guys, you rock
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welome to the forum

Best frequent flier program for Australian who travels to EU, Asia and the US?
What is your definition of "best"?
What class of travel?
Does work have a travel policy (many do) ?

Have a look and ask here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

For upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your freq flyer programme (no codeshares). All subject to the t&c's of your FFP and your paid ticket. Low cost tickets are often not eligible for upgrades.

However as is the way with FFP's there are some upgrade exceptions
- with AA/BA/IB with higher priced economy fares
- with Asia Miles on some BA tickets
- cross airline upgrades within Star Alliance

Edit: From a post on 2 Feb 2013
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
< snip>
To get your feet wet, start by reading the sticky threads in this and other forums. What you need to do is look at your flying (and credit card, if applicable) patterns and preferences, then pick a program that works best for you. While miles/points aren't interchangeable, you can usually use one airline's miles/points for redemptions on that airline's partners - either in the same alliance or in some cases unaligned partners - or for non-flying activities. Each airline has different "earning and burning" characteristics - how miles/points are earned and used, and you'll need to investigate these carefully, as the differences can be significant and expensive (or beneficial) to you depending on your choices.

One important thing to note is that miles/points earning and redemption are only a part of the whole FF business. A big factor in choosing your plan preferences is whether you'd fly enough with your chosen airline(s) in order to reach elite frequent flyer status. With elite status comes various perks - access to lounges, expedited passage through airports, seat selections, upgrades, baggage allowances, etc. - that can be as important if not more important to frequent travelers. So those factors also need to be understood as you make your choices.

It involves homework and research, but the rewards can be very significant, well worth the effort. (Or so many of us think. Of course we can be both delusional and exhibit OCD symptoms in this regard. Welcome to the madhouse.)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 4, 2013 at 2:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.