Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying within Europe - Skyteam status question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Flying within Europe - Skyteam status question

I am a Delta Platinum Medallion who flies quite a bit domestically in the US but rarely has occasion to fly international.

I will be flying into Europe and then also flying within Europe on an upcoming business trip. The Delta flights to/from Europe are easy but there don't appear to be any Delta or Delta code share flights within Europe.

I was planning on making reservations directly with KLM or Air France for the flights within Europe but I have a couple of questions.

• Should I just sign up with an account directly on KLM/AF and book that way or is there a better way?

• Does my Skyteam Elite Plus (Delta Platinum Medallion) status mean anything on a KLM flight that is not flying to the US and does not have a Delta flight number?

• Is there a way for my current status with Skyteam to get matched in the Flying Blue program or do I basically start off at the bottom tier with KLM when flying within Europe?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Sounds like you have some fun trips coming up.

1. You can ask Delta to book trips 'continuing' your travel in the EU. Say you have to fly from JFK to AMS and then want to continue on to BRU (Brussels), they can book that all in one go.

Otherwise, yes, there won't be Delta-coded flights within Europe but you can still earn Skymiles and segments on any Skyteam partner airline within Europe, of which there are quite a lot. If you prefer to earn some miles with AF/KLM (or segments) you can sign up with Flying Blue, their frequent flier program, but note that you're unlikely to get any status from these few flights.

2. Yes, SkyTeam Elite Plus status will give you benefits on all Skyteam member airlines. In Europe you will get priority checkin areas, priority boarding, baggage handling, the works. It'll also likely be put on your boarding pass, and with Air France and KLM you can have a free pick of preferred seats that are usually paid for.

3. There is no status matching, but like I said before you do get some good benefits being a PE with Delta.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by caliform

2. Yes, SkyTeam Elite Plus status will give you benefits on all Skyteam member airlines. In Europe you will get priority checkin areas, priority boarding, baggage handling, the works.
And lounge access
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
And lounge access
Ah yes, good point. Coming from the US with Delta's less-than-open SkyClubs, you'll be happy to know most lounges are open to you in the EU.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Ah yes, good point. Coming from the US with Delta's less-than-open SkyClubs, you'll be happy to know most lounges are open to you in the EU.
And lounge in AMS (and CDG), are much more better than the one of Delta in USA !
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NeavoDarksky
I will be flying into Europe and then also flying within Europe on an upcoming business trip. The Delta flights to/from Europe are easy but there don't appear to be any Delta or Delta code share flights within Europe.
You cannot book a European flight under DL code if it is not in connection to/from an international DL-coded flight.

Should I just sign up with an account directly on KLM/AF and book that way or is there a better way?
You can book directly on AF or KL website, but there is no need for you to sign up with Flying Blue. You are already a member of Skymiles, so that's enough.

Does my Skyteam Elite Plus (Delta Platinum Medallion) status mean anything on a KLM flight that is not flying to the US and does not have a Delta flight number?
Of course. That's the purpose of the alliances, Skyteam in this case. Your status in SM is valid with all Skyteam airlines.

Is there a way for my current status with Skyteam to get matched in the Flying Blue program or do I basically start off at the bottom tier with KLM when flying within Europe?
No need to be status matched. KLM and AF are in the same alliance as DL and, as said before, your DL status is valid with AF and KL.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info everybody! This has been very helpful!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:20 am

If on an international flight. Granted, that's most of them here but there's no lounge access for French domestic flights unless connecting to or from an international flight, for example.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you haven't yet purchased your TATL ticket, call DL and have yourself ticketed to include the AF/KLM segments. This might not show up on delta.dumb, but a DL agent can do it. This protects you in IROPs and probably results in a lower fare. If you're making multiple stops within Europe, you might want separate tickets versus multi city. Look at open jaws and fares that allow stopovers. Also consider taking the train to save time if distances aren't too great.

IMO you should credit everything to DL to get elite benefits, but be sure to check the rules for partner flights as some fare classes earn little or nothing. AF/KLM flights count for MQMs.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
While this post is old - you can book pure AF/KL/AZ flights on Delta stock (006) by calling Delta directly. This way you can get the MQDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.