Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-based Flyer - DL vs AS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
SEA-based Flyer - DL vs AS

I moved to Seattle last year, and have mostly been flying Alaska for business trips. For whatever reason, I was have absolutely terrible delay issues with my SEA-ORD route, which I have been taking weekly - a combination of departure time, weather, and AS operations at ORD. Due to this, I decided to try a status match challenge from MVP Gold 75K to DL Platinum to compare experiences. Now that I've completed the challenge, I'm contemplating what to do for 2020. At the moment, I'm leaning towards going back to AS. Here are some observations from my experience. As some background, I spent the first half of my career with Northwest->Delta and then the latter half with United before relocating to the PNW. I am around 500K towards lifetime on both, so I don't think I'll ever reach it (or at least don't want to keep traveling at this click). Note that all of my travel is domestic (aside from vacation), so all experiences are based on that fact.

- Both airlines have pretty solid customer service, on the ground and in the air. I would say it's mostly a wash with maybe a slight nod to Alaska given that I wait no more than a minute when calling.

- Delta definitely won the on-time battle. I know that is something they've actively been pushing, and it shows. I have to believe that my AS experience was a fluke given my prior flight paths. Maybe it was just a terrible combination of AS at ORD plus weather.

- On-board, I find AS to be more comfortable in both premium economy (DL Comfort+) and First. More legroom, much better storage (both overhead and seat-front), and overall feel of the aircraft age. Maybe I just got unlucky with the DL planes operating on my flights (737-800 and A319). They just feel so much more cramped. If seat-back IFE is important, DL certainly wins that category.

- The flagship Sky Club at SEA is insanely nice. DL definitely wins there. Even the satellite SC in the S concourse is nice.

- Earnings are much better with AS on my current route given that AS is still distance-based. DL definitely has a much wider network to redeem miles, so it's hard to say who wins there. It's also hard to say what qualification requirements will look like for the 2020 (2021 program year) since DL has yet to announce. My flights aren't that expensive, so any MQD increases could be a challenge.

- One of my favorite perks with AS is the the fact that I have no change or cancel fees (available with MVP Gold or higher). This has saved me a ton of money over the year and allows me to snag first class seats at deep discounts far enough in advance, but then I can update if plans change.

- I can't really speak to upgrade percentage. I know it wasn't very good on AS even at 75K, but it was a very busy route. For DL, I didn't have much luck, but I had also booked straight into first when the price made sense. Just not enough data points.

I think that's about it. I know it's a relatively narrow audience that would compare Alaska and Delta, but it makes a lot of sense out of SEA. I was just hoping for some feedback. With such a long flight, I think I'm looking mostly at comfort and the fact that AS has the no cancel/change fee perk. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
AS miles are much better that's definitely true -- to your point about wider network, AS has a big network of J/F opportunities if you look at some of their partners like CX/QF/JL/SQ (and at much more reasonable prices than DL).

Biggest thing for me would be where are you flying? AS is a non-starter if you have any consistent travel to the East Coast or Midwest unless you are going to the handful of cities that AS flies to.

Not surprised about 738 feedback but surprised on A319 -- I think the A319/320/321 are some of the best planes in the DL fleet. Especially as a PM with access to C+ and exit row at booking (the exit row seats in all 3 are very good for short and long domestic flights IMO).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I've been making SEA<->WAS/LAX trips approx monthly, sometimes 2x/month, for about five years, and have managed to maintain Platinum on DL and 75K on AS (probably ~75% of the travel has been on business, so coach fare is reimbursable) ... I generally buy up to F on the TCONs (particularly the redeye flights) regardless of which airline I'm taking

the no-change-fee perk of MVPG/75K is a massive part of why I stay with AS; C+ at booking, no-fee award redeposit, and the route map in terms of TCON options and frequencies all keep me on DL (the AmEx benefit -- 25k total spend eliminates the $9k airfare spend requirement for PM, as well as generating a 10k MQM boost -- is also a plus, and rollover MQM kick-starts the year)
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Free agent; tend to fly DL and UA most
Seems to me like you're thinking about all the relevant factors, and that the differences between the two airlines in your case are pretty small, so either one is a decent choice. True that the AS's waived change/cancellation fee is really nice. One thing to keep in mind is that AS's distance-based mileage program likely won't last forever; I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make it revenue-based in the next couple years. Another thing to keep in mind is that DL will probably be more helpful during IROPs when you're flying to locations not on the West Coast.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the OP aware of free SDC/SDS on DL for elites? It's not as good as free changes on AS for elites, but I find that generally it's pretty easy to SDC from a cheap FC fare into FC on another flight, although sometimes I need to stalk the new flight I want a bit and call when I see a seat available for purchase.

Another question concerns lounge access. OP mentions the SEA SC as wonderful and presumably better than the AS lounge(s) at SEA. How about ORD? DL has a small lounge there which I think is fine except when it's overcrowded, but I'm not aware of an AS lounge arrangement there.

Something else that might work for the OP on DL is to fly to/from MDW rather than ORD. MDW has fewer DL flights but can be convenient especially for arrivals (no lounge) since it's so much closer to downtown. It can be an option that might be helpful, especially during the ORD construction.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the OP aware of free SDC/SDS on DL for elites? It's not as good as free changes on AS for elites, but I find that generally it's pretty easy to SDC from a cheap FC fare into FC on another flight, although sometimes I need to stalk the new flight I want a bit and call when I see a seat available for purchase.

Another question concerns lounge access. OP mentions the SEA SC as wonderful and presumably better than the AS lounge(s) at SEA. How about ORD? DL has a small lounge there which I think is fine except when it's overcrowded, but I'm not aware of an AS lounge arrangement there.

Something else that might work for the OP on DL is to fly to/from MDW rather than ORD. MDW has fewer DL flights but can be convenient especially for arrivals (no lounge) since it's so much closer to downtown. It can be an option that might be helpful, especially during the ORD construction.
All very good thoughts.

- DL SDC is nice, but AS is definitely a lot more flexible. Often I just need to cancel an entire itinerary or go to a completely different city. Doesn't happen a ton, but those are the scenarios that hit me the most.
- The only AS lounge access at ORD is the Admiral's Club. For the time being, you can still access ACs with a full Alaska lounge membership.
- Sadly, no nonstop from SEA-MDW, at least that I've seen on DL
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
It depends on where you travel to with the miles?

If the delays on AS from ORD was weather it would have affected a DL flight at the same time. With mechanical random stuff happens

I do wonder how long Delta plans to be on SEA,,,will it pull out in 10 years?

Out of Seattle you will have more direct routes than Delta going east, You have better service to Alsaka and Hawaii.

Without knowing where you frequently go--look at maintaining status on both. If you only travel just enough for 75K AS. Can you fly direct to all the same cities on DL that you can on As for your routes. If you are traveling more west of Mississippi to cities other than the major ones then go with Delta.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by muaddib89
Another thing to keep in mind is that DL will probably be more helpful during IROPs when you're flying to locations not on the West Coast.
This is worth emphasizing. Flight issues on AS from Seattle tend to be relatively simple to remedy. Flight issues on AS on the East Coast or even Chicago, are not so easy. With all of the hubs on the west coast, and a fairly limited east/west schedule, when something happens to a plane (such as a broken door, spoken from experience) your trip becomes significantly longer.

This will be my last year as an AS gold. Most of my flying is east/west, and my schedule does not allow for the disruptions that can and have occurred. Flying north/south on the west coast? AS is a great airline. DL has its issues like all airlines, but when things go bad on the east coast or midwest, the likelihood of being able to fly in a replacement plane from ATL, DTW or MSP is decent, and may be a much shorter wait.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Moved to Seattle, DL Platinum or AS 75k Gold?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
For 2020, DL and AS will remain much the same but the picture for ORD will look much different in 2021 when DL moves to Terminal 5 in ORD.

Terminal 5 will gain access to more gates for DL and house most of Skyteam partners and will allow for easier transfer between them. It will also features a brand new Skyclub. DL will likely expand and add flights in/out of ORD but it's expansion plans is likely going to be tested with already existing hub operation of UA and AA. The move, however, will become slightly inconvenient as rapid transit CTA access will required a ride on the inter-terminal people mover transport.

I have no information of where AS will relocate to. Knowing AA's deteriorating relationship with AS, it wouldn't be surprising for them to also relocate to Terminal 5.

I personally love AS for flying in/out of west coast, and their frequent flyer program. DL however is king on irrop and for flight options at both SEA and soon to be amazing ORD. For your travel between SEA and ORD, no matter how much I dislike DL, DL will likely be your winner in 2021.

Jiburi
muaddib89 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.