Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Should I aim for Mosaic or AAdvantage elite status in 2022?

Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Posted on the AA forum as well, but Id love yalls thoughts too!

Ill be flying JetBlue BUR-JFK round trip about once a month, plus occasional other flights (mostly BUR/LAX to the Bay Area, but some vacation travel, primarily abroad, as well).

I dont have any airline status currently, and Im trying to decide which program to aim for. Most of my flying is going to be BUR-JFK (standard economy fares paid for by my company), and I have the option of earning either JetBlue or AAdvantage miles for it.

It seems like theres quite a bit of overlap between the perks of both programs, given their new partnership. Currently the Mosaic benefits seem to be a little better than AAdvantage elite status when flying JetBlue, but American has a bigger network. I also dont quite understand the benefits that Mosaic members get on AA flights. Also, for what its worth, I pretty much never check bags so thats not really a consideration for me.

Which program should I go for in 2022?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Unless you plan to exclusively fly JB for the next year, I would go for AA. That would also get you benefits on Alaska Air which has a huge west coast network of which you could likely take advantage. Other than free EMS seats and priority boarding (and free alcohol onboard), I don't think Mosaic will do too much for you.

-J.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:01 pm

It seems to me the best benefit for JetBlue is the free SDC. If you know how to use that, it's a pretty good program. If you are on the west coast and don't care about free SDC, then I would imagine AA is a better deal for the next year.

the other factor to consider is what level you think you can earn on AA. I'd say mosaic is better than AA Gold. but maybe not the higher levels.
AutoSlash and RWPrincess like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:11 am
Suspended

JetBlue has the single worst FF program but then again there an LCC. Go with AA. Compare the value for yourself.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tphuang
It seems to me the best benefit for JetBlue is the free SDC. If you know how to use that, it's a pretty good program. If you are on the west coast and don't care about free SDC, then I would imagine AA is a better deal for the next year.

the other factor to consider is what level you think you can earn on AA. I'd say mosaic is better than AA Gold. but maybe not the higher levels.
Id probably just be looking at AA Gold, maybe platinum if I get lucky.

Is there something Im missing, in terms of knowing how to use SDC? Just being able to change to a different flight on the same day doesnt seem like a hugely useful benefit, but maybe Im not understanding how to leverage it properly and get value from it.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:43 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by samuellush
I’d probably just be looking at AA Gold, maybe platinum if I get lucky.

Is there something I’m missing, in terms of knowing how to use SDC? Just being able to change to a different flight on the same day doesn’t seem like a hugely useful benefit, but maybe I’m not understanding how to leverage it properly and get value from it.
One of the advantages of SDC with Jetblue as a Mosaic is that you can change to what B6 calls "sister cities" for no extra charge, so for example, if you were flying out of EWR, you could switch to JFK or LGA, SWF or HPN. That's a fair amount of options.

What many savvy Mosaics do is that they book the cheapest flight in the area they want to fly from, say the 6am flight out of EWR, and then switch to something more palatable, like the noon flight out of HPN which may be much more convenient (although often much more expensive) if you live north of the city.

There is a $75 SDC fee for non-Mosaics (unless you book a Blue Extra fare which may make sense in some cases), but it's free for Mosaics and you can change up to 24 hours before your scheduled flight time as opposed to having to wait until midnight of the day you are flying to confirm the switch.

Here's a complete list of sister cities and the associated SDC rules. Note that we were surprised to see LHR/LGW on this list since flying out of LHR is almost always more expensive than LGW due to higher taxes and fees.
RWPrincess likes this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 9, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Note that we were surprised to see LHR/LGW on this list since flying out of LHR is almost always more expensive than LGW due to higher taxes and fees.
Wouldn't you be liable for any difference in taxes and fees? If not, that's a big chunk of change JB is eating (or not paying ).

-J.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:58 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Wouldn't you be liable for any difference in taxes and fees? If not, that's a big chunk of change JB is eating (or not paying ).

-J.
We're not certain, but at least for US departures, it's a swap at no extra charge, so we'd assume it works the same way (no extra charge) in the UK. That's why we said we were surprised as JB would be eating the difference.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

samuellush, I'm not sure if you've seen this thread yet: $15 to redeem points?!? - FlyerTalk Forums

This weekend I'm planning to try to burn the rest of my TB points (assuming the surcharge is gone by then). I can now confidently say that my future travel will not be on (or credited to) JetBlue. (And yes of course I have other reasons too... but this is the straw that broke the camel.)

-J.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by samuellush
I’d probably just be looking at AA Gold, maybe platinum if I get lucky.

Is there something I’m missing, in terms of knowing how to use SDC? Just being able to change to a different flight on the same day doesn’t seem like a hugely useful benefit, but maybe I’m not understanding how to leverage it properly and get value from it.
I think others have explained SDC a lot better than I. I would be surprised if a lot of changes don't come into this program next year. In my mind, Mosaic is probably valued between Gold and Platinum for you case. AA gold to me is very little.

AA is a great program to be if you fly a bunch of international and can get miles on other One World carriers. If you are doing mostly domestic, you don't get those additional benefits.

JetBlue | JetBlue Introduces Enhanced TrueBlue Loyalty Benefits Made Possible Through its Northeast Alliance with American
Mosaic get the following on AA flights
  • Priority check-in desks at the airport.
  • Access to expedited security lanes.
  • Earlier boarding (Group 4) with priority boarding lanes.
  • Priority bags.
  • Up to two free checked bags with check-in at American ticket counters.
  • Complimentary same day changes to flights.
By the end of the year, Mosaic members traveling on American flights will also receive:
  • Complimentary preferred seating.
Based on that, Mosaic members get better treatment on AA flights than AA gold, but less than AA platinum (because platinum gets EMS for free)

So if you are based in NYC/Boston/South Florida, B6 mosaic with SDC benefits is probably a little better than AA platinum. If you are based anywhere else, I'd put it between gold and platinum.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I think others have explained SDC a lot better than I. I would be surprised if a lot of changes don't come into this program next year. In my mind, Mosaic is probably valued between Gold and Platinum for you case. AA gold to me is very little.

AA is a great program to be if you fly a bunch of international and can get miles on other One World carriers. If you are doing mostly domestic, you don't get those additional benefits.

JetBlue | JetBlue Introduces Enhanced TrueBlue Loyalty Benefits Made Possible Through its Northeast Alliance with American
Mosaic get the following on AA flights
  • Priority check-in desks at the airport.
  • Access to expedited security lanes.
  • Earlier boarding (Group 4) with priority boarding lanes.
  • Priority bags.
  • Up to two free checked bags with check-in at American ticket counters.
  • Complimentary same day changes to flights.
By the end of the year, Mosaic members traveling on American flights will also receive:
  • Complimentary preferred seating.
Based on that, Mosaic members get better treatment on AA flights than AA gold, but less than AA platinum (because platinum gets EMS for free)

So if you are based in NYC/Boston/South Florida, B6 mosaic with SDC benefits is probably a little better than AA platinum. If you are based anywhere else, I'd put it between gold and platinum.
The OP seems to be based on the West Coast, and has indicated that he rarely checks bags.

AA Gold would get the OP some benefits on AS, which has a big presence out west; Mosaic would get the OP nothing on AS.

There are conflicting reports, but some FTers have reported that AA Golds have been offered EMS seats at the check-in counter when flying B6.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP seems to be based on the West Coast, and has indicated that he rarely checks bags.

AA Gold would get the OP some benefits on AS, which has a big presence out west; Mosaic would get the OP nothing on AS.

There are conflicting reports, but some FTers have reported that AA Golds have been offered EMS seats at the check-in counter when flying B6.
I get that OP is probably based in LA area. If the combined network offered by AA and B6 out of LA area works for his needs, then the AS part may not be relevant here. Out of LA area, the only additional value AS network provides are some of the smaller west coast markets.

I'd be surprised if AA gold will get more benefits than B6 mosaic on B6 flights.

It does seem to me that B6 mosaic may get more benefits than AA gold on AA flights.

Also depends on whether or not he finds free SDC to be useful. He could for example, buy a cheap Y on LAX-EWR and change it to BUR-JFK. Also I'm curious what it means for B6 mosaic to have free SDC on AA flights. There could be some real value in there also.

I'm saying this as someone who has never been a mosaic, but have been AA EXP and platinum in past. To me, most of the value for AA elite status comes when you can get complimentary upgrades on domestic stuff and lounge access on international flights. That doesn't really start any platinum level.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I get that OP is probably based in LA area. If the combined network offered by AA and B6 out of LA area works for his needs, then the AS part may not be relevant here. Out of LA area, the only additional value AS network provides are some of the smaller west coast markets.

I'd be surprised if AA gold will get more benefits than B6 mosaic on B6 flights.

It does seem to me that B6 mosaic may get more benefits than AA gold on AA flights.

Also depends on whether or not he finds free SDC to be useful. He could for example, buy a cheap Y on LAX-EWR and change it to BUR-JFK. Also I'm curious what it means for B6 mosaic to have free SDC on AA flights. There could be some real value in there also.

I'm saying this as someone who has never been a mosaic, but have been AA EXP and platinum in past. To me, most of the value for AA elite status comes when you can get complimentary upgrades on domestic stuff and lounge access on international flights. That doesn't really start any platinum level.
I agree that free SDC from LAX-JFK to BUR-LAX could offer real value to some travelers. However, the OP has indicated that his BUR-JFK travel is paid for by his employer, so any financial benefit from SDC would inure to the benefit of the employer, not the OP. And, if the BUR-JFK flight were to sell out, the OP would have to schlep to LAX, which he would prefer not to do.

If the OP plans to use miles for his vacations to other continents, I suspect that he would get more value from AA miles than True Blue points, although I confess that I am not as knowledgeable about B6 partners as I am about AA partners.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If OP is mostly going on B6 and wants to redeem to B6 destinations, then going for Mosaic makes the most sense. I am based on the West Coast and B6 can get me to the vast majority of destinations I need to get to and it is relatively easy to get Mosaic. AS is of 0 value to me. UA/WN or international carriers can fill in the gaps every once in a while when B6 doesn't work for me.

AA is changing their program to value CC spend over flying so if OP is mainly earning points with coach flights paid by the employer, Mosaic is going to be way easier to achieve. A small business owner that charges $10,000s per month to an AA credit card would be a good candidate for AA status in their new program.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm AA Plat (lifetime) and Mosaic for the last 5 years or so. I'd pick based on wherever you'll use the benefits more, not on the benefits themselves, which are more or less the same. Theoretically you can get upgrades on AA but in practice unless you are Executive Platinum or ConciergeKey, they will be few and far between (I've had none in the the last 5 years). So your benefits are:

- Priority phone service (this is valuable if you want to avoid the hours-long hold times on both airlines now, but having AA does you no good if you're on JetBlue and vice versa)

Mosaic:
- Same day confirmed
- Inexpensive points upgrades to even more space (these are pretty much always available if you book ahead)
- Free drinks

AA:
- Benefits on more partner airlines

The rest of the benefits (priority boarding, security, etc.) are shared/reciprocal, so it really doesn't matter. I'd choose based on where you'd think you'd get more use from the status.
RWPrincess and bgasser like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.