Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pivoting from Flying Blue to Sky Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver

I am from Europe, but I have been living and working in the United States for a few years. FB has been my FF account of choice for a few years, though it’s only recently I have earned Silver status; I’ll unlock Gold on my next trip overseas in a couple of weeks. I don’t travel that much for work, but I do a fair amount of personal travel and have been lucky enough to always find good Delta flights for domestic trips, and Delta/KLM/Air France/Alitalia always have convenient options for my travels to homeland Italy from where I am based (Boston). Pair that with some business travel both domestic and overseas, I am flying frequently enough to have some status.

I initially signed up for FB because I was living in Europe, but now that I am in the US, I wonder if I should sign up for Sky Miles and switch to crediting that instead. Is there a fast track to status where I can maintain what I have now on FB? Any way to transfer miles between the two? Most importantly, which of the two programs gets me the best mileage if my travel is pretty much equally split between US domestic and overseas to Europe (usually Italy)?

My apologies if I have in any way misspoken; I am by no means an expert here, but I have been enjoying this foray into status and would love to keep it, or do better!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by itaexpat
Is there a fast track to status where I can maintain what I have now on FB? Any way to transfer miles between the two? Most importantly, which of the two programs gets me the best mileage if my travel is pretty much equally split between US domestic and overseas to Europe (usually Italy)?

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Delta does have status challenges but I don't know that they will offer a challenge to come over from a JV partner program. Here's the big status challenge thread - look at the Wiki then go to the end and work back:

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

There is no way to transfer miles between SkyMiles and FB, although you can redeem for lowest-levels awards on the other carrier's flights.

Miles that can be used for awards - redeemable miles or RDM in this forum - are earned as a function of fare paid and status on Delta/Delta-marketed flights in SkyMiles. If you're paying high fares (business travel?) you may do well. In addition to RDMs, one needs to worry about elite miles - MQM - for qualifying, as well as elite spending - Elite Qualifying Dollars, EQD. EQD does not apply to members with non-U.S. addresses.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Your company might be able to get a status match or status challenge or outright temporary comped status if they have a corporate travel contract and you travel for work. Ask your travel department. The standard public status challenges offered by DL will not match status from a partner.

In general if there's no special circumstance, it's better to maintain status on the airline you actually fly rather than an alliance partner. In your case, as a DL GM you'd have higher priority for a free domestic upgrade than as a FB ElitePlus on DL domestic flights, although don't expect lots of upgrades as a GM to/from hubs and/or at peak business travel times.

However, if you see yourself moving back to Europe in the next few years, it might be better to stick with FB.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Your company might be able to get a status match or status challenge or outright temporary comped status if they have a corporate travel contract and you travel for work. Ask your travel department. The standard public status challenges offered by DL will not match status from a partner.

In general if there's no special circumstance, it's better to maintain status on the airline you actually fly rather than an alliance partner. In your case, as a DL GM you'd have higher priority for a free domestic upgrade than as a FB ElitePlus on DL domestic flights, although don't expect lots of upgrades as a GM to/from hubs and/or at peak business travel times.

However, if you see yourself moving back to Europe in the next few years, it might be better to stick with FB.
Status matches for corporate accounts are less and less frequent, unless the company has a very large volume. DL is actually providing other incentives such as Main 1 boarding and upgrade priority for those who are already elite instead of the full benefits/match.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

My company offers occasional bids on status (you can bid with credits you've accrued for traveling under the company's caps for flights and hotels) and sometimes even for "purchase" via those same credits. They typically rotate airlines, and it's good to keep an eye out!

Yeah, I think I'll stick to FB -- especially because the volume of my travels is enough to maintain status, but not that much to earn it on multiple airlines, let alone exceeding what's needed to maintain where I am. I have definitely noticed that a simple Silver FB gets me a lot further in Europe than the US. I am eligible for Sky Priority at pretty much all times at European airports and at check in, attendants typically direct me to the nearest lounge. Not the same in the US, where Silver, at least FB, doesn't get me further than boarding Main 1
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Status matches for corporate accounts are less and less frequent, unless the company has a very large volume. DL is actually providing other incentives such as Main 1 boarding and upgrade priority for those who are already elite instead of the full benefits/match.
Yes, we do have that at my company! With at least both DL and UA. We also have occasional lotteries for status and even status "purchases" using credits accrued by traveling under company caps for flight and hotels. But no status matches that I've heard of.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info (and the welcome!)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:56 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Interesting you got lounge access as a silver? FB has a better award program
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Officially it shouldn't happen as FB Silver means SkyTeam Elite, not ElitePlus.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Officially it shouldn't happen as FB Silver means SkyTeam Elite, not ElitePlus.
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
You guys are right... I am not sure why/how it happened. I was flying on Alitalia Premium Economy -- is there lounge access associated with it? I have Priority Pass through Sapphire Reserve so when there is an eligible lounge, I use that, but you're right that Elite should not unlock lounge access unless paired with a ticket that allows it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.