Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Jumping Ship from AAdvantage FFP to Alaska Mileage Plan?

Old Sep 26, 20, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond

I'm considering it with AS joining OW.

For me, the biggest advantage AA had was OW first class lounge access. I'm assuming Alaska will have the same access?
​​​​​
Would love to hear fellow FTers thoughts

​​​​​​
Old Sep 26, 20, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
I won't be for the following reasons

1. Route map - AA's hubs are better suited for me. I go between two UA hubs actually, but hard pass.

2. Intl network - AA has a much larger long haul network. I don't tend to buy intl J that much, so the SWUs are a big deal
DC9 and enviroian like this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 11:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador Spire, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I won't be for the following reasons

1. Route map - AA's hubs are better suited for me. I go between two UA hubs actually, but hard pass.

2. Intl network - AA has a much larger long haul network. I don't tend to buy intl J that much, so the SWUs are a big deal

Same story for me. I love AS, but being based in PHX and having little reason to go to PDX, SEA, or ANC, and no desire to go that far out of my way to make a connection to go back east, I think I will stick with AA.
Antarius and DC9 like this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Obviously those of on the east coast AS is a nonstarter
cmd320, Redhead, DC9 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 12:37 pm

Does anyone know if I buy AS Club membership, will I be eligible to enter Admirals club when flying on AA (marketed and operated) flights and using my advantage FFN?
Iím currently an authorized user, but I will lose that soon so checking my options and I would prefer not to apply for a Citi card since itís been less than 4 years since I closed my card and I wonít get a sign in bonus.
prome03 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
If AS is in OW what difference would it make even if you're based in an AA hub? You'll earn miles and status when flying AA, get upgrades on AA, etc. To me this would be very similar to the arrangement that NW and CO had prior to 2009. The only issue I see is if you need an agent's help at the airport, it will be a lot easier to find an AA agent in PHX than an AS agent.

Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post
Does anyone know if I buy AS Club membership, will I be eligible to enter Admirals club when flying on AA (marketed and operated) flights and using my advantage FFN?
Yes, you would have access to the Admirals Club whether you were flying AA or AS that day.
Old Sep 26, 20, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
If AS is in OW what difference would it make even if you're based in an AA hub? You'll earn miles and status when flying AA, get upgrades on AA, etc. The only issue I see is if you need an agent's help at the airport, it will be a lot easier to find an AA agent in PHX than an AS agent. To me this would be very similar to the arrangement that NW and CO had prior to 2009.

Yes, you would have access to the Admirals Club whether you were flying AA or AS that day.
thanks. I though so but wasnít sure. Same yearly fee for AS membership that does not involve credit pull!
prome03 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
If AS is in OW what difference would it make even if you're based in an AA hub? You'll earn miles and status when flying AA, get upgrades on AA, etc. To me this would be very similar to the arrangement that NW and CO had prior to 2009. The only issue I see is if you need an agent's help at the airport, it will be a lot easier to find an AA agent in PHX than an AS agent.
OW members don't get upgrades on AA. Unless there's some special AA-AS agreement in place? You also wouldn't get SWUs.

IMO, if you buy J/F or are looking to rack up RDM, then crediting to the best program makes sense; for example if you buy J/F domestically only then crediting to BA makes sense as you get FL access. If you are planning to fly AA primarily and book Y, then crediting to AA makes sense (or AS if primarily flying AS) as you get the benefits of the status you hold.

Last edited by Antarius; Sep 26, 20 at 1:39 pm
Old Sep 26, 20, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post
I’m currently an authorized user, but I will lose that soon so checking my options and I would prefer not to apply for a Citi card since it’s been less than 4 years since I closed my card and I won’t get a sign in bonus.
Access to lounges by paid club membership is outside of OW.
QF has paid lounge access, but that does not extend to OW airlines, other than a limited access with AA
In OW mid-top status or class of travel gets you lounge access. Except for AA ffp on USA & local region domestic trips. Expect AS will have same restrictions.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

OW members don't get upgrades on AA. Unless there's some special AA-AS agreement in place?
Agreed. Apparently OW may offer cross airlines upgrades in the future, but if that happens it will be expensive, like the Star Allaince system..
AA-BA-IB have a cross upgrade system, but useless for most people. Is outside of OW

Too many people are over thinking the effects of AS joining Oneworld. Its not that big a deal.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ View Post

For me, the biggest advantage AA had was OW first class lounge access. I'm assuming Alaska will have the same access?
​​​​​

​​​​​​
If you're paying for the premium cabin and don't need upgrades or other status benefits on the airline of travel, and the AS MP earning / redemption scheme looks preferable to you, then jumping ship to AS may make sense. Otherwise, I'd stick with the airline program for the airline on which I'm usually traveling.
Old Sep 26, 20, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I see two completely different things being discussed here:

1. Jump ship to AS, meaning stop flying AA metal in favor of flying AS metal.
2. Take same OW/AA/AS flights one would normally take but credit to AS "air mileage plan" instead of AAdvantage.

1. Makes no sense to most, unless you are based in SEA.

2. For those looking upgrades, it is best to earn miles/status on the airline program you fly the most, IMO.
If you buy paid J/F and not much interested in upgrades then I'd say fly whatever you want and don't stick to OW as J/F fares already come with most of the elite benefits and I would not worry about status.
DC9 and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
I see two completely different things being discussed here:

1. Jump ship to AS, meaning stop flying AA metal in favor of flying AS metal.
2. Take same OW/AA/AS flights one would normally take but credit to AS "air mileage plan" instead of AAdvantage.

1. Makes no sense to most, unless you are based in SEA.

2. For those looking upgrades, it is best to earn miles/status on the airline program you fly the most, IMO.
If you buy paid J/F and not much interested in upgrades then I'd say fly whatever you want and don't stick to OW as J/F fares already come with most of the elite benefits and I would not worry about status.
I should have been more specific.

I was referring to crediting and earning status with Alaska Mileage Plan over AA Advantage
Old Sep 26, 20, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should have been more specific.

I was referring to crediting and earning status with Alaska Mileage Plan over AA Advantage
For what benefit?
What are your objectives from a ffp?
Having status & ff miles on the airline you fly most is usually the best.
Have been other AS vs AA ffp comparisons over the years. Will change a little, but not a lot, when AS joins Oneworld
Old Sep 26, 20, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
In contrast, if you do primarily buy J/F fares, I could definitely see the value in AS. Personally, I think their partners are better than AA's. You get most of the good oneworld airlines (with the glaring exception being QR) plus a few more like EK, SQ, and LA.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Obviously those of on the east coast AS is a nonstarter
For actual flying, I agree. But for a place to credit/redeem, it's not necessarily a terrible deal. I spend a decent amount of time with EK and SQ. Rather than crediting those to their individual programs, crediting all of it to AS could be a decent proposition. Doesn't mean I ever actually have to fly on AS. Certainly better than crediting to B6.

If the OP can give us a bit more detail about their usual travel habits/routes/classes, etc. it would help make more informed recommendations.
Old Sep 26, 20, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC

​​​​​

​​​​​​
You can easilly fly AA and credit it to Mileage Plan. For 2MM LTs, this seems to be a no-brainer. The only thing is you don't know how the mileage earning rate is going to be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: