Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA accumulation thoughts: AS, AA, BA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
BA accumulation thoughts: AS, AA, BA

I switched to Skyteam because I prefer Delta on my domestic trips, but we all know work travel isn't always so straightforward. So I want to have a backup plan for potential J trips in 2020 on BA. My new colleagues are all Alaska MVP out of Seattle all have a strong preference for BA because they earn Alaska miles with them (250% the distance for discount J). I'm wondering the site wisdom on:

1) Using an AS account (one SEA-LHR roundtrip is 14,400 status and 24,000 award miles)
2) Opening a BAEC account because I can supplement those miles with my Amex Membership Rewards. (Earns 14,368 r/t)
3) Continue earning in my AA account that has ~90k in it (earns 12,000 r/t)

#3 seems like the worst idea with the AA's new shift to variable rate awards plus lowest earning, but I do have a heck of a head start over the other two accounts. I'm not sure if Avios are any better or worse than AA without the forum favorite 2-for-1 and having distance charts to consider (I know all have YQ).
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The grass in not always greener on the other side

How many SEA-LHR BA J trips will you do in the next months/year?

Awards the main ffp objective?
AS AA & BA have many common partners. So the essentially same availability problems with getting long haul premium awards
AA awards are by (big) zones.
BA awards are by distance.
AS awards are good value (earn/burn) compared to others ffp's. But may(will?) change in the future. AS award chart is prescriptive and limited.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better.

Frequent flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn between ffp’s. 10,000 frequent flyer miles in 1 ffp may get you a longer award flight than 15,000 frequent flyer miles in another ffp. Each airline ffp has different rules for using (burning) those miles/points for awards and different copay/surcharge $$ fees. There are cash surcharges on award flights with some ffp’s/routes/airlines. Award surcharge can be/are different. Real taxes on award flights are the same for all airlines for the same route and class. A surcharge can trigger additional real taxes if the flight changes from a non revenue flight to a revenue flight.

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 19, 2019 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Bear in mind oneworld status carries benefits on BA even in J. Unless you're flying full fare, oneworld ruby will allow free seat selection from seven days before departure while sapphire and emerald allow free seat selection from booking. If BA's seat fees are likely to annoy you that's an argument for AA or BA to build status.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Remember AS is not part of oneworld, so you wouldn't get benefits worldwide...
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:05 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I would credit to Alaska for the extra miles and better redemption rates. Keep in mind that once you have MVP or MVP Gold, you will get 50% and 100% bonus miles, respectively.

There are few perks to BA status outside free seat selection if you’re flying J anyway.

But honestly it’s hard to give you advice without knowing your goals. If you have a family you want to take on vacation, BA might be better so you can top it up. But keep in mind you can always book tickets through both programs for the same trip separately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.