Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing between AC and DL...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50, Marriott Titanium
Choosing between AC and DL...

Hi- I posted this in the AC forum as well, but am looking for perspective on both sides...

Hey folks- hoping you can help me with a decision I need to make. I'm Elite 50k with Air Canada currently, based out of YYZ, but considering status challenging my way to Delta. For context:
  • I fly about 35-40 one-way trips per year (so ~60ish segments typically; a fair number of my AC segments were United fares for connections to US destinations)
  • About 60% of my trips are between YYZ and the USA (corporate travel);
  • another 25-30% are domestic within USA (corporate travel);
  • about 10% are domestic within CAN (YYZ to YWG typically 2-3 times per year; personal trips)
  • I fly internationally beyond CAN/US ~once per year (personal; Europe/Asia/South America)
The biggest things I'm weighing are:
  • The convenience of AC- easy transit to Terminal 1 at YYZ, solid lounge variety at my most used airport (YYZ), easy award redemption for my most-used personal route (YYZ-YWG)
  • The better elite perks of Delta- automatic/unlimited upgrades and free same day changes (I can't pay a cent for premium cabin on the corporate flights, so the AC eupgrades only help me so much, esp. with a lot of the AC flights being United)
Secondary considerations are:
  • It might actually be easier for me to continually re-qualify as a Delta member; a large number of my AC flights actually being United fares can make hitting the AQD requirements a little tough (whereas the spend requirement with Delta would be waived as a CAN resident)
  • Lack of lounge access on the YYZ-YWG route if I'm flying WJ as a Delta elite....would like to treat my wife when we're travelling personally.
  • Some debate about which rewards program would serve me better for international vacation point redemption.
Any decision I make I'm probably going to stick with for the next few years, so any input is appreciated! If you think I'm missing an important factor here, please let me know.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by yyzjr
Hi- I posted this in the AC forum as well.
Which, sadly, is not allowed on this site. https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#crossposting
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:38 am
Original Poster

My apologies! I failed on my ctrl+F of the rules.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a DL GM (50,000 status miles or 60 segments annually), you won't actually get those "automatic unlimited" upgrades very often, nor do they apply to longhaul routes.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I'm having a hard time figuring out why someone based in YYZ would choose DL over AC.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:15 am

I fly back and forth between YYZ and the US many times annually on both AC and DL. Based in YYZ you can only get nonstops on DL to DTW, MSP, ATL, JFK, SLC and CVG. AC wins hands down for nonstops out of YYZ as well as T3 at YYZ looks like it is in a third world country compared to T1 and there is no lounge at T3 YYZ unlike the great ML lounge at T1 YYZ. To me nonstop service and YYZ lounge access wins the day but the DL staff at YYZ are all amazing and DL bends over backwards for outstanding customer service. DL does have a code sharing arrangement with Westjet which can be helpful but Westjet doesn’t recognize my DL elite status other than free checked luggage.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
This is somewhat minor in the grand scheme of things, but the USA transborder area of T3 that DL and WS use drives me crazy. Horrendously overcrowded anytime I've been there, with barely anywhere to sit.

If you're flying to the US a good deal, that could start to get old after a while.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
...The biggest things I'm weighing are:
  • The convenience of AC- easy transit to Terminal 1 at YYZ, solid lounge variety at my most used airport (YYZ), easy award redemption for my most-used personal route (YYZ-YWG)
  • The better elite perks of Delta- automatic/unlimited upgrades and free same day changes (I can't pay a cent for premium cabin on the corporate flights, so the AC eupgrades only help me so much, esp. with a lot of the AC flights being United)
I suspect many if not most DL elites would point to free SDC and waived award redeposit fee as the biggest benefits of DL Platinum Medallion status; rollover MQM is another significant plus, but requires earned status rather than matched

do **NOT** get your hopes up for upgrades, as DL has become very focused on "FCM" (First Class Monetization; making what they hope will be attractive post-booking upgrade offers available)
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I fly back and forth between YYZ and the US many times annually on both AC and DL. Based in YYZ you can only get nonstops on DL to DTW, MSP, ATL, JFK, SLC and CVG. AC wins hands down for nonstops out of YYZ as well as T3 at YYZ looks like it is in a third world country compared to T1 and there is no lounge at T3 YYZ unlike the great ML lounge at T1 YYZ. To me nonstop service and YYZ lounge access wins the day but the DL staff at YYZ are all amazing and DL bends over backwards for outstanding customer service. DL does have a code sharing arrangement with Westjet which can be helpful but Westjet doesn’t recognize my DL elite status other than free checked luggage.
Yeah, the directs are certainly in AC's favour...most of my flights are connections to smaller US airports, so I'd basically be swapping out a EWR/ORD/etc. connection for a DTW/ATL etc. The WestJet agreement does help, though- can still build DL segments if I have to grab a WJ direct somewhere.

The T1 to T3 downgrade is a real factor, though...
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Yeah, the directs are certainly in AC's favour...most of my flights are connections to smaller US airports, so I'd basically be swapping out a EWR/ORD/etc. connection for a DTW/ATL etc. The WestJet agreement does help, though- can still build DL segments if I have to grab a WJ direct somewhere.

The T1 to T3 downgrade is a real factor, though...
I honestly don't have an issue flying out of T3 Transborder. It's not great, but if you fly that many flights, you'll figure out that right time to get to the airport and spend little to no time at Pearson. I usually only spend about 10-15min in the Premium Plaza lounge and it's time to board already.

Edit: I was trying to figure out why my previous post got delete, then realize you posted again in the AC sub-forum. LOL
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:52 pm

The quality of the DL staff at YYZ are all second to none. Over the past 10+ years I have gotten to know many of them personally and there is no comparison in the high level of exceptional customer service compared to AC.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.