Wiki Posts
Search

Switching to FlyingBlue from M*M, flying economy only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M Silver (FTL), Finnair Silver, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Silver
Switching to FlyingBlue from M*M, flying economy only

So after reading through many threads, I finally take the plunge to ask the questions I have been struggling with since M&M announced their new terms.

For the last three years, I have been traveling the following route ZRH-SFO on Swiss more or less 4 times a year (return flights), most of the time on V, H, M. My company does not allow for business and Concur prevents us from choosing the fare code.
All in all, I achieved the Silver status, and last year I managed to reach 57k miles—because of more flights than planned but still insufficient to meet Gold, though.

This year my position is changing, and I will be traveling that route monthly.
The newly M&M points system will even not allow me to reach Gold, whereas FB will. I am now nurturing the ideas to switch to FB. On the one hand, I will get a better status and enhanced perks. On the other hand, flying a *A Skyteam airline will force me to book via either CDG or AMS.

M&M as of 2021
ZRH-SFO -> 10*15 points
SFO-ZRH -> 10*15 points
Status -> Silver (300 points)

FB as of now
ZRH-CDG -> 10*5 XP
CDG-SFO -> 10*12 XP
SFO-CDG -> 10*12 XP
CDG-ZRH -> 10*5 XP
Status -> Platinum (340 points)

So my questions are the following:
  • How does AF compare to Swiss on the long-haul?
  • Do you think the *A Skyteam status is worth the hassle of having a layover?
  • Can I expect any upgrades on that route with either a Gold or Platinium status?
  • So far I accumulated ~148k award miles, should I continue building those points up?

Last edited by madch; Jan 30, 2020 at 8:52 am Reason: Typos
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Hello

you forgot to post something at least or there is a bug in the forum
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Hello

you forgot to post something at least or there is a bug in the forum
i am not sure why my message is not appearing. I will create a new post.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
  • How does AF compare to Swiss on the long-haul?
I'd say it's competitive depending on your routing. AF's 777 product is solid.
  • Do you think the *A status is worth the hassle of having a layover?
I wouldn't say any level of status is worth consistently having a layover. Your life is worth more than that.
  • Can I expect any upgrades on that route with either a Gold or Platinium status?
No. AF/KL only does updates for operational reasons, which might put you ahead-ish, but as far as this forum has observed, those are exceptionally rare. Offers to upgrade will also be diminished (yes, really).
  • So far I accumulated ~148k award miles, should I continue building those points up?
Miles never become worth *more*; rather, they are in a constant state of waiting for the next devaluation. I'd use them if you have a good reason -- I have a half million saved up and it's making me very anxious. Miles never, ever are worth saving past your goal for a fun trip.
irishguy28 and romans like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Regarding qualification for Flying blue, note that after you qualified for Silver, 100 XP will be deducted. After that you need 180 XP for Gold. Then 180 XP will be deducted for your account and finally you need 300 XP to qualify for Platinum.

Therefore, to qualify for Platinum from Explorer you in total need 100 + 180 + 300 XP (so may not be reached in 1 year).
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:42 am

Not really in one year i hope i m not wrong....
Lets say you become silver in sept you have until next sept to win 180 xp...
ok then august next year you have another one year to become plat.. but plat gold same thing
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Have you considered crediting your *A miles to another program than M&M? It will probably be easier to achieve *A status.

My suggestion is to run your trips through the Mileage Calculator at wheretocredit and compare the various programs and their tiers.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gajan
Regarding qualification for Flying blue, note that after you qualified for Silver, 100 XP will be deducted. After that you need 180 XP for Gold. Then 180 XP will be deducted for your account and finally you need 300 XP to qualify for Platinum.

Therefore, to qualify for Platinum from Explorer you in total need 100 + 180 + 300 XP (so may not be reached in 1 year).
That's something I did not really understand this way. Thanks for the clarification! Much appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:42 pm

I'd switch to OZ. (Asiana, Star Alliance)

You only need 40k miles during two years to become *G for two years, and 30K to retain your status, again during/for two years.

And once you hit 500k total, you are lifetime *G.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by madch
That's something I did not really understand this way. Thanks for the clarification! Much appreciated.
Once you achieve Platinum, to renew it you only need 300 XP yearly.

But to acquire it you need to go through each tier first.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Geese Howard
I'd switch to OZ. (Asiana, Star Alliance)

You only need 40k miles during two years to become *G for two years, and 30K to retain your status, again during/for two years.
Surely Aegean M+B makes more sense?

As the OP is based in Europe, and can therefore easily collect the few A3/OA sectors required, 36k miles during two years is enough to get *G - admittedly for one year - but thereafter only 12k miles per year are required to extend *G for each subsequent year.
fifty_two and NickB like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Surely Aegean M+B makes more sense?

As the OP is based in Europe, and can therefore easily collect the few A3/OA sectors required, 36k miles during two years is enough to get *G - admittedly for one year - but thereafter only 12k miles per year are required to extend *G for each subsequent year.
A3 is a solid choice, too, but I'd prefer unconditional 15k/year over conditional 13k/year. And besides, OZ miles are more valuable than A3 plus the lifetime status is a thing to consider. The OP could get it in less than five years.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Geese Howard
A3 is a solid choice, too, but I'd prefer unconditional 15k/year over conditional 13k/year. And besides, OZ miles are more valuable than A3 plus the lifetime status is a thing to consider. The OP could get it in less than five years.
It has been a very long time since I looked at it but the last time I did, the downside of OZ was that earning rates were very low so that earning the same number of miles was much harder work with OZ than it was with A3 or, for that matter, most other *A airlines. This might have changed in the mean time, however.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by NickB
It has been a very long time since I looked at it but the last time I did, the downside of OZ was that earning rates were very low so that earning the same number of miles was much harder work with OZ than it was with A3 or, for that matter, most other *A airlines. This might have changed in the mean time, however.
You are largely right, OZ gives less miles than A3 on partner airlines, especially for business class flights.
However, the OP will be flying V/M/H on Swiss, and the miles accrued are the same on both (50/100/100).
He will be *G in 4~5 months on OZ until 2024 without having to fly to Greece, and he will be lifetime *Gold by 2026 with enough miles for two award RWT in business class (230k miles each)
NickB likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Don't put too much store in lifetime status....Aegean abolished lifetime *G in 2014 when they introduced the concept of having to requalify for status!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.