Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best *A miles program to access OZ, NH F/C?

Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:10 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

Now that United has gutted its program, and US has left *A, what's the next best way to access long-haul premium cabins (especially F) on OZ and NH?

I know NH you can do via credit card transfers to their own program, though not sure if that's the best bet to do long-haul flights given distance awards.

OZ, doesn't seem to be a transfer partner for anyone except SPG and not sure if their own miles are best for redemption.

Is it Aeroplan? LifeMiles? TK Miles & Smiles? Or some other miles? Just need a nudge to know where to spend time researching. Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:53 pm

First, I think, aeroplan. Have good availability, one way and many partners. TK rate good, but I not sure, how they plan work with star alliance flights after changes in their program. And cheapest is lifemiles, but need to check availability of OZ and NH on LM booking system. My choice is aeroplan.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:58 pm

Even after the devaluation, I'd still say UA, unless you like paying ridiculous fuel surcharges on other FF redemptions.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond

Life miles if you don't want to mix classes...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Fuel surcharges can be brutal on both NH and AC. Points Guy did a comparison: post-devaluation-aeroplan-strategy-awards-transfer-partners-star-alliance-comparison/. On the whole, I think MP is still better than both. LM is the wild-card. It's a quirky program but has some real strengths if you can deal with the challenges.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Hmm... ok so it sounds like there isn't really one program, but if we have access to the miles or transfer partners, need to look at a bunch to see for a particular redemption: Aeroplan, LM, UA, NH...

I used to feel pre-deval that UA was the FFP to rule them all, it really is a shame they decided to change that calculus and thus make it hard for me to choose UA.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is UA still your primary/easiest/makes most sense to book on airline? Does the math work out to earn 25-50% miles if you are flying on UA but crediting to another FF program?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.