Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Frequent Flyer Program in Star Alliance

Best Frequent Flyer Program in Star Alliance

Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EgyptAir, British Airways, Delta Airways
Smile Best Frequent Flyer Program in Star Alliance

Hey everyone:

Based on all of your experiences, what do you think is the best program in Star Alliance?

I currently use EgyptAir's program, and I just went from Silver to regular. I was thinking about making the switch, but I was not sure which program to go with. My brother is using Lufthansa and loves it. That being said, I live in DC, so I have been recommended United Airline's program.

I was wondering if someone can walk me through the pros and cons of the program I currently have, the one my brother has, and United. If you also think of another one that I should definitely consider, I would immensely appreciate the help.

And lastly, I think my goal is to get as many miles for rewards, but I am also new to this, so I am not sure if the status should matter more to me, or anything like this. And lastly, I would be using it for the family (My wife and I).

If I forgot any information, please let me know, and I will respond right away. Otherwise, I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback. Needless to say, I appreciate everyone's time and effort in helping me through this.

Cheers!
--Hussein
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Hussein Medhat Mohamed
Based on all of your experiences, what do you think is the best program in Star Alliance?
Start from this thread.

There is no "best", while there are definitely some worse ones.

And by the way, welcome to FT!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Smile Thank you!

Thank you! I guess a general "best" was not the correct choice of word. Would your answer change if I say the best program for someone with the criteria I mentioned above?

Again, thank you for responding to the post, and your kind message!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Where will you be flying? Primarily domestic, international, or a combination of the two?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Smile Both

I will be traveling both internationally and domestically.

I will travel at least once a year to the Middle East (Egypt and/or Kuwait and/or UAE and/or Jordan, but most of the time to Egypt). I will also be traveling once a year to a random country, could range from Mexico to Japan. I usually do one trip to Middle East (home), and one to a new place I have never been. While domestically, I will be traveling to visit friends, so not too often to decide my Frequent Flyer on it.

Also if it helps, I live in Northern Virginia right by DCA and within decent proximity to IAD.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
United isn't going to fly you directly to your Middle East destinations; you're going to be seeing a lot of FRA. United will fly you anywhere you want to go, domestically, via IAD, and using a connection, primarily DCA through ORD. You won't have the frequency of TATLs with any of the Middle East oriented carriers, so you're probably then looking at either UA or LH.

If E+ is relevant to you, along with the ease of earnings miles through credit card use, United is likely your best choice. If you'll be spending money on business, then you may have to consider LH.

I don't have an easy answer for you on this one.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Mike:

This pretty much answers the questions. Since I am not planning on going with business class, it seems like United is the best option.

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you!
--Hussein
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Hussein Medhat Mohamed
Mike:

This pretty much answers the questions. Since I am not planning on going with business class, it seems like United is the best option.

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you!
--Hussein
Pleased to be of help. If you head over to the UA forum here, you'll find a lot of horror stories about how bad UA is, but they've actually done pretty well for me over the years (and you'll find horror stories about ALL airlines). At the Gold elite level, you will enjoy no-cost SDC (same day change) for flights, which is a very nice and possibly under-utilized benefit when flying on UA. The food for purchase isn't bad, and the new streaming wifi entertainment system works nicely if you have an iPad or long battery life laptop.

When flying non-UA metal, as will be required for the final leg of many of your trips to the Middle East, keep a close eye on the PQMs (elite earning miles). Some fares on star alliance airlines earn at a reduced rate. The United website can display the actual PQMs earned for a flight though, so they're not hard to avoid.

Ah, one other thing you might have now figured out. Most people here don't use their real names. I'm an exception (and there are a few others). The reasoning is that they want the freedom to be able to say and discuss things that they'd rather not have someone at the airline they're flying see. For me, I prefer my life to be as transparent as possible, but that's generally not the FT way. Some also believe it's better not to have your real name posted here because somebody could use that information, along with your flying patterns and other info gained from your posts, to break into your airline account and steal your miles etc. Obviously I'm not too concerned about that.

Take care and travel well!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
... If you head over to the UA forum here, you'll find a lot of horror stories about how bad UA is,
If you head over to the AA forum here, you'll find a lot of horror stories about how bad AA is,
If you head over to the DL forum here, you'll find a lot of horror stories about how bad DL is,
If you head over to the BA forum here, you'll find a lot of horror stories about how bad BA is,
If you head over to the ** forum here, you'll find a lot of horror stories about how bad ** is, [ ** just put the airline you are considering]

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit card ff mile earning/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s). But if you are not flying the airline of your ffp the useful benefits are somewhat limited.

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operational upgrades. Earning miles from non flying activities is easier with an airline of your home country.

But with the change of most USA based ffp's to revenue based for flights on own airline, flying the airline with best fares and best schedule that matches your requirements now has merit. And then treating any ff miles as a bonus, which may or may not, be able to be used.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
No brainer!!! UA MileagePlus Make 1 K and use those GPUS which clear instantly on LH F (shame there is no more United GlobalFirst just garbage Continental BusinessFirst) Forget Lufthansa MilesandMore because you need 2 Evouchers as opposed to 1 UA GPU to upgrade to Lufthansa First and only 30K Miles to upgrade to Swiss First on a Star Alliance Upgrade Award on the longest Swiss Intercontinental Sector NO BRAINER!! Chag Sameach Happy Holidays ve Kala Xristougenna!!!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by cbourl
...and use those GPUS which clear instantly on LH F
As OP stated he will not buy C class this statement is somewhat irrelevant, no?

F.R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.