Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US -- strategy on status/miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)

I'm DM and extremely loyal to CX. Currently based in BKK, previously PVG. Always transit through HKG and always credit OW to CX otherwise.

I'm moving to NYC soon. I'll be back to Asia from time to time, but not enough to really make sense to be all-in on CX, unfortunately.

Does it make sense to try to keep DM by crediting AA/BA flights, for example? OWE has access to AA lounges even for domestic I think, something top-tier AA doesn't even get. Or should I reconsider my entire loyalty strategy? Between AA/DL/UA, I think UA offers the most value and DL the best experience (in my opinion). That said, I haven't lived in the US in many years.

Just thinking out loud here, looking for advice/thoughts.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:16 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Check your earn rates. The last time I looked at this, crediting non CX flights to CX is hard to gain status. And actually the CX program is generally hard to get status compared to AA/BA.

Depending on where you’re flying in the USA an Amex platinum card will probably solve your lounge issues.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver (OWR)
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
I'm DM and extremely loyal to CX. Currently based in BKK, previously PVG. Always transit through HKG and always credit OW to CX otherwise.

I'm moving to NYC soon. I'll be back to Asia from time to time, but not enough to really make sense to be all-in on CX, unfortunately.

Does it make sense to try to keep DM by crediting AA/BA flights, for example? OWE has access to AA lounges even for domestic I think, something top-tier AA doesn't even get. Or should I reconsider my entire loyalty strategy? Between AA/DL/UA, I think UA offers the most value and DL the best experience (in my opinion). That said, I haven't lived in the US in many years.

Just thinking out loud here, looking for advice/thoughts.
If you can hit GO and you're happy with GO then you still have access to AA lounges for domestic as OWS, compared to hitting Plat with AA. You'll just miss out on domestic upgrades but depending on the specific route you might have no shot anyway as a Plat or even Plat Pro. UA is going through a lot of miles devaluations right now so if earning and spending your miles is important I'd probably think twice or at least wait and see where they are going with their devaluations.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
Originally Posted by quakes15
If you can hit GO and you're happy with GO then you still have access to AA lounges for domestic as OWS, compared to hitting Plat with AA. You'll just miss out on domestic upgrades but depending on the specific route you might have no shot anyway as a Plat or even Plat Pro.
Can you get access to AA lounges on domestics if you are a AA status member? I'm under the impression it doesn't work in the US.
Check between CX MPC and BAEC and see which one you are more likely to get status from - BAEC has a 4 leg requirement but if you need to go to Europe from time to time it is easy to settle.

Afterall, AA/UA/DL miles is much easier to manufacture in the US and they don't charge YQ...
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just a note that as US resident AA/DL/UA have spending requirements on top of miles for status.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marco Polo Silver, UA Silver, Marriott AMB, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
I still live in HK, and fly mostly CX, but credit all my flights to AA. I do a fair bit of travel to the US and fly domestically, so it makes sense for me. I assume it would make sense for you too if you are flying enough to get to DM. I dont fly enough long hauls to reach DM on CX but am easily able to reach Exec Plat on AA (OWE). Once in the US, there are a number of ways to get easy AA loyalty points (credit cards, e-shopping through their portal, dining, car rentals, etc) so I find making OWE attainable on AA but less so on CX. AA does not have a spending requirement anymore - its simply a combination of loyalty points. The domestic upgrades are worth it for me, and I have found AA to be more generous with the redeemable miles awarded on most tickets. My wife is CX Gold and she receives far less miles for the same flights (even on CX!). On the lounge portion, yes having CX gold and above gives you free lounge access, but AA lounges 1. arent great and 2. can be bought for $600 per year if its really important to you. The Citi credit card gives you plus up to 10 authorized users full AA lounge access. You still get access when flying non-AA flights internationally even without membership at Exec Plat. I personally value OWE for the access to F lounges at HKG, but YMMV.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I think spartanmu summarizes the situation. And if you live in the US, the case for AA FFP, makes even more sense. The credit cards alone are a great advantage. And the domestic opup.
If you are in a DL or UA hub, then those make sense too, but you won't be abble to credit your CX flights there.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:53 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I would personally go BA and get the Chase card, unless you fly super often or are happy to commit non-travel spend to AA to get LP.

I find it easier to hit BA Gold than EXP being US based and it frees up more spend to then place on the highest earning card/programme possible.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
AA Explat gets Hyatt globalist and/or vice versa? That may also sway you.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sxc
Check your earn rates. The last time I looked at this, crediting non CX flights to CX is hard to gain status. And actually the CX program is generally hard to get status compared to AA/BA.
I'd say it depends. With the new fare family, a CX light fare on ultra-short flights (e. g., HKG-TPE) only earns 3 status points if booked in S/N/Q/O class, whereas a mileage-eligible AA flight (so anything besides B or O class) earns at least 5 status points.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I think it depends what tickets you normally purchase. Econ, Biz or First? If Econ then US status like AA makes sense if you can get to the higher tiers for complimentary upgrades. If you are already buying biz/first tickets then I don't see the need for US status unless you feel the earn/burn ratio is better. Another factor to me is what airline you plan to redeem your miles on. Even though all OneWorld I find if you want to redeem on AA you should have AA miles as it is easier to redeem. Same if you want to redeem on CX better to have CX DM as they will release waitlist to DM first.
tentseller likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by bagold
I think it depends what tickets you normally purchase. Econ, Biz or First? If Econ then US status like AA makes sense if you can get to the higher tiers for complimentary upgrades. If you are already buying biz/first tickets then I don't see the need for US status unless you feel the earn/burn ratio is better. Another factor to me is what airline you plan to redeem your miles on. Even though all OneWorld I find if you want to redeem on AA you should have AA miles as it is easier to redeem. Same if you want to redeem on CX better to have CX DM as they will release waitlist to DM first.
In My experience, it is getting more difficult to redeem AA domestic using CX Asiamiles
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by tentseller
In My experience, it is getting more difficult to redeem AA domestic using CX Asiamiles
Correct, much harder. Therefore, if the OP wants to use miles on AA flights then OP should put miles towards AA program.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tentseller
Originally Posted by bagold
Correct, much harder. Therefore, if the OP wants to use miles on AA flights then OP should put miles towards AA program.
Using AsiaMiles to Book AA Flights on Regional Routes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.