Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Using AsiaMiles to Book AA Flights on Regional Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I called CX today to try and use some of my miles. Checked BA's website to confirm avaialbility of the CVG-LGAs flights I wanted to book. It is an AA flight number, operated by "Republic Air as American Eagle"

After 1+ hour on hold I was told that although they see the partner redemption, it was restricted so they cannot book. I asked what they meant by restricted and was put on hold again. When they came came back, was told that the flight needed to be "marketed by, and operated by American Airlines" in order to be booked. I suspect this is incorrect. Is it incorrect, and if so, how do I get them to book this?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by grahamgdogg
I called CX today to try and use some of my miles. Checked BA's website to confirm avaialbility of the CVG-LGAs flights I wanted to book. It is an AA flight number, operated by "Republic Air as American Eagle"

After 1+ hour on hold I was told that although they see the partner redemption, it was restricted so they cannot book. I asked what they meant by restricted and was put on hold again. When they came came back, was told that the flight needed to be "marketed by, and operated by American Airlines" in order to be booked. I suspect this is incorrect. Is it incorrect, and if so, how do I get them to book this?
I would try to find the Asia Miles terms and conditions for redeeming on AA flights.

I know that you can certainly redeem BA Avios on American Eagle regional flights, but Asia Miles might have a different rule.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

tried the whatsapp also, got all the way through everything and then this:

"after checking, your route of ticket do not know how many miles require right now
so we cannot issue the ticket now
We will hold the flight to you within 7 days
and you need to contact us again to issue ticket"

any clue?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
No availability on AM when it gets labelled "Republic Air as American Eagle On Behalf Of American Airlines"
Without that label OK.

Not compliant with T&C.
But what are you going to do about it? Complain to some mythical regulator? AM has to see the availability before you can redeem it.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Not compliant with T&C.
This is what I was asking mate.

And they do see the availibility
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:09 pm

This is what I was asking mate.

And they do see the availibility
They do on your routes? They don’t for me (I only see the availability on BAEC).
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

American Eagle flights operated by Republic Air are oneworld prime flights and should be redeemable. "Republic" is mentioned in the American Eagle box at the bottom of https://www.oneworld.com/members/american-airlines. I would either HUACA or point out this page to the agent.

If the CX agent pulls out the FLIFO from the system, they can also see "MEMBER OF ONEWORLD," indicating this is a oneworld prime flight.

Code:
DOAA4403                                                                        
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              AA4403    1 MO 20FEB23                    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
CVG          2033  MO JCRDIYBHKML/-       E75         1:57                      
                      GVSNQO/-                                                  
LGA 2230  MO                                                1:57                

COMMENTS-                                                                       
 1.CVG LGA   - AIRCRAFT OWNER REPUBLIC AIRWAYS                                  
 2.CVG LGA   - COCKPIT CREW REPUBLIC AIRWAYS                                    
 3.CVG LGA   - CABIN CREW REPUBLIC AIRWAYS                                      
 4.CVG LGA   - OPERATED BY REPUBLIC AIRWAYS AS AMERICAN EAGLE                   
 5.CVG LGA   - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD                                               
 6.CVG LGA   - ARRIVES TERMINAL B                                               
 7.CVG LGA   - MCT FLIGHT TRACKING D/D                                          
 8.CVG LGA   - ON-TIME PERF 8DEC22                                              
 9.CVG LGA   -  18/ WI-FI                                                       
10.CVG LGA   - SECURED FLIGHT                                                   
11.CVG LGA   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                                    
12.CVG LGA   - 086/010/N/005/ DEC22                                             
13.CVG LGA   -  CO2/PAX* 137.30 KG ECO, 137.30 KG PRE                           
 (*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR                                    

)>
"after checking, your route of ticket do not know how many miles require right now
so we cannot issue the ticket now
We will hold the flight to you within 7 days
and you need to contact us again to issue ticket"
What kind of English is that? Gosh!
globalwanderer84 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
American Eagle flights operated by Republic Air are oneworld prime flights and should be redeemable. "Republic" is mentioned in the American Eagle box at the bottom of https://www.oneworld.com/members/american-airlines. I would either HUACA or point out this page to the agent.

If the CX agent pulls out the FLIFO from the system, they can also see "MEMBER OF ONEWORLD," indicating this is a oneworld prime flight.

Code:
DOAA4403
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* AA4403 1 MO 20FEB23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
CVG 2033 MO JCRDIYBHKML/- E75 1:57
GVSNQO/-
LGA 2230 MO 1:57

COMMENTS-
1.CVG LGA - AIRCRAFT OWNER REPUBLIC AIRWAYS
2.CVG LGA - COCKPIT CREW REPUBLIC AIRWAYS
3.CVG LGA - CABIN CREW REPUBLIC AIRWAYS
4.CVG LGA - OPERATED BY REPUBLIC AIRWAYS AS AMERICAN EAGLE
5.CVG LGA - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD 
6.CVG LGA - ARRIVES TERMINAL B
7.CVG LGA - MCT FLIGHT TRACKING D/D
8.CVG LGA - ON-TIME PERF 8DEC22
9.CVG LGA - 18/ WI-FI
10.CVG LGA - SECURED FLIGHT
11.CVG LGA - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
12.CVG LGA - 086/010/N/005/ DEC22
13.CVG LGA - CO2/PAX* 137.30 KG ECO, 137.30 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR

)>

What kind of English is that? Gosh!
I tried again. For my days, even getting past the part with the agent that Republic is member of oneworld, there still is no availability on AM when I see it on BAEC.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:47 pm

Similar for QantasLink (I called Tsuen Wan too)

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Qantaslink

This was a few years back, and while I do not recall what exactly I had done, I do have a foggy recollection of there being an initial pushback on Qantaslink, but I had been able to redeem Asiamiles for the same in the end.

>>
Departure :13:45 -Alice Springs, Australia - Airport
Arrival :14:40 -Ayers Rock, Australia - Connellan
Airline :Qantas Airways QF1941
Fare type :Economy Restricted
Aircraft :Boeing 717 - Operated by QANTASLINK - NATIONAL JET SYSTEMS
Baggage :30 kilogram(s) per traveller
Meal :information not available
Last check in:information not available
<<
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
This was a few years back, and while I do not recall what exactly I had done, I do have a foggy recollection of there being an initial pushback on Qantaslink, but I had been able to redeem Asiamiles for the same in the end.

>>
Departure :13:45 -Alice Springs, Australia - Airport
Arrival :14:40 -Ayers Rock, Australia - Connellan
Airline :Qantas Airways QF1941
Fare type :Economy Restricted
Aircraft :Boeing 717 - Operated by QANTASLINK - NATIONAL JET SYSTEMS
Baggage :30 kilogram(s) per traveller
Meal :information not available
Last check in:information not available
<<
I don’t think any QF affiliates fly ASP-AYQ anymore.
I use 20Jul ASP-DRW, available on Aadvantage and operated by Alliance Airlines:

Tsuen Wan Agent 1: can see both flights for redemption
Tsuen Wan Agent 2: can’t see anything 20Jul ASP-DRW
Tsuen Wan Agent 3: can’t see anything 20Jul ASP-DRW
Tsuen Wan Agent 4: can see both flights 20Jul ASP-DRW as well as 19Jul ADL-PLO, but they are 加班機 (“additional flight”, I clarified she didn’t mean codeshare 聯營航班). But she couldn’t guarantee they can be ticketed.
Tsuen Wan Agent 5: can see both flights 20Jul ASP-DRW as J and 19Jul ADL-PLO as Y. No they’re not 加班機. Yes they’re standard redemptions, even if the former is Alliance and the other is QantasLink, both Qantas 子公司 (subsidiaries).

I think they can be ticketed, but expect 3-5 HUACAs before finding an agent who can/will actually do it, so ticketing QantasLink is largely a function of how quickly on average you can get connected to an agent.

I’ll confirm BAEC can redeem both over the phone (per HFP) in a bit and update this post. I’ll probably redeem QantasLink/Alliance with Avios in real life anyway (BAEC 25 Jun: yes)

ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 24, 2023 at 12:15 pm
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Ran into the same issue with some AA regional flights and had to give up. Several agents could see "U" space available, but either would not even try to ticket it/claimed it was giving them an error. Requesting escalation to a supervisor didn't help. Ended up booking with QF miles as the price difference was minimal.
l380 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Oxymore
Ran into the same issue with some AA regional flights and had to give up. Several agents could see "U" space available, but either would not even try to ticket it/claimed it was giving them an error. Requesting escalation to a supervisor didn't help. Ended up booking with QF miles as the price difference was minimal.
Same issue.... It is very frustrating redeeming AA flights....
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I’m having this same issue right now - does anyone have any secrets to success?

I found U availability on two flights, one operated by Republic / American Eagle connecting to American mainline to Europe.

The agent found the availability and quoted me 63k miles per ticket (x3). I moved over Thank You points to cover it.

Only then did she tell me she could not ticket the reservation because Republic is not part of OneWorld. I attempted to explain the relationship but that did not help. She did tell me she’d put the ticket on hold for two days and refer the matter to another desk for further research. Has anyone had any luck getting this issue resolved? I’m a bit bummed because I already moved over all the ThankYou points and have no other immediate use for them…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.