Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Leaving Aeroplan for United Mileage Plus - Spread the word

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015

Hello,

I know some of you like AC/AP due to super Elite status or the ability to purchase better than tango fares for your travel. However, I am 75K elite member AND a "lowest cost" business traveller with 34K in miles coming up in the next 4 weeks and AC/AP only offers me about 50% of those miles due to the fare I must purchase. However, switching to United, I will get 100% on the SAME PLANE with their plan. (I have already earned 25K this year).

That, and a few other reasons (high redemption service charges, 4 X $90 change fee and crappy flight optioins when redeeming) are why I am leaving.
I even wrote a letter to AC/AP complainining and offering suggestions (like 35K and above ALWAYS earn 100%) and got a very nice, cold, form letter.

All I ask, if anyone is as upset as me or made the switch already, please post something on Twitter with the hashtag #AeroplanSwitch so we can raise awareness to the movement. How else will we shape the future of this program without rallying..

Thank you!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
I made the switch last year. Welcome aboard!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
re: those flights that you expect to earn 100% with on UA - I hope you realize that AC Tango flights only earn 25% to UA as well within the western hemisphere. Only the longhauls Tango earn 100% - the chart is quite confusing in this matter.

Otherwise, welcome

Perhaps you could ask UA for a challenge to fast track your elite status
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=TB8230

They dont usually issue a challenge to AC Elites, but if you spin your story well, relocation, change in business flying habits, etc, you never know.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Thanks for the Advice!

Hello rankourabu

Thanks for the warning for Tango on UA.. I had noticed that but my company's travel agent allows me to buy a better ticket class with a UA ticket on AC than the tango class that AC offers.. I do watch very carefully for that "class of ticket" before purchasing..

GREAT LINK On the status match challenge.. I will try that.. wish me luck (not sure if they accept other SA members)...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by NeoRichards

GREAT LINK On the status match challenge.. I will try that.. wish me luck (not sure if they accept other SA members)...
They dont, generally, make it a convincing argument. Tell them you already have 34k of travel booked, your company policy changed, etc, etc.

If they do give you the challenge, you will at least get automatic access to Economy Plus.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:37 pm

Surprised we haven't heard the usual refrain. Wait for it...I think I hear something...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
Surprised we haven't heard the usual refrain. Wait for it...I think I hear something...
LOL
it aint coming from me, thats for sure
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It's not coming from me either. I'm perfectly happy since switching to Delta and Westjet in 2012.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by sp4294
To be fair, this thread IS in the AC forum.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The more who leave, the better the upgrades for me I have been the first one asked for my meal choice on my last 3 flights. The only SE on the plane on one flight last month. For those who stay the benefits are better because there are less of us to take advantage of them. Enjoy UA!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Its a tough decision to make, but necessary. Perhaps if enough people leave Air Canada will see the error of its ways.
I guess I made the easy transition, with a slow move to United. Now I wonder that I have made the decision not to put any miles to AC if I should get some status with Delta or AA.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by 172pilot
The more who leave, the better the upgrades for me I have been the first one asked for my meal choice on my last 3 flights. The only SE on the plane on one flight last month. For those who stay the benefits are better because there are less of us to take advantage of them. Enjoy UA!
+1^^
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
+1^
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:30 am

10 points
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+3^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.