Search

Need Star Alliance Gold or?? Frustrated with MM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HH, Bonvoy
Need Star Alliance Gold or?? Frustrated with MM

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time putting a real post. I fly mainly for business through my company who always purchases the cheapest ticket possible. Even with a few long haul flights this year there was no way I would reach Senator to get Star Alliance Gold. Since I do a decent amount of long haul flights being able to access partner airline lounges is a decent benefit for me and staying with Miles and Less makes this seem unobtainable. the biggest status miles flight I had this year was when I had to travel last minute home to the US for a funeral FRA-DEN. Also lucked out with getting some status miles for flights my wife took....

Where would you guys take your miles? Here's my flight history for the year, see attached. Should I just suck it up and stay with LH? Head to Turkish Airlines?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide, I've been fortunate in the past to have good status with other airlines but Lufthansa seems to be the only one that doesn't have a "middle" tier.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
CHFlightHistory2018.xlsx (12.3 KB, 121 views)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ekasey
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time putting a real post. I fly mainly for business through my company who always purchases the cheapest ticket possible. Even with a few long haul flights this year there was no way I would reach Senator to get Star Alliance Gold. Since I do a decent amount of long haul flights being able to access partner airline lounges is a decent benefit for me and staying with Miles and Less makes this seem unobtainable. the biggest status miles flight I had this year was when I had to travel last minute home to the US for a funeral FRA-DEN. Also lucked out with getting some status miles for flights my wife took....

Where would you guys take your miles? Here's my flight history for the year, see attached. Should I just suck it up and stay with LH? Head to Turkish Airlines?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide, I've been fortunate in the past to have good status with other airlines but Lufthansa seems to be the only one that doesn't have a "middle" tier.
perhaps Turkish Airlines is a good option? Once you get the status it is also super easy to maintain.

Take a look at them.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Yeah unfortunately, not sure what my mileage credit would be for all of the lower fare flights?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah unfortunately, not sure what my mileage credit would be for all of the lower fare flights?
A guide for earning on redeemable ff miles https://www.wheretocredit.com/
Determining status earning can be harder
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

anyone else? It looks from the where to credit site that I would have easily made status with Turkish Airlines or any of the other star alliance partners.

What would you guys do in my situation? not being Star alliance gold sucks. I'm originally from US, would it then be better to go to United? What Star alliance partner would give me the best benefits considering i'm flying in europe on Lufthansa the majority of the time.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:26 pm

fly mainly for business through my company who always purchases the cheapest ticket possible.
Then M&M is not the program for you if you want *G. The file you uploaded shows "E" as booking class for all flights, but you should take the real booking class and calculate how many status miles you'd have gotten in other *A programs.

Or consider investing in a credit card that would give you PP membership, or outright paying for a UA club membership, if lounge access is all you want/need (which I totally understand, btw).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Turkish, Aegean and Asiana are the consensus "easiest" ways to get or keep *G.

However, you really need to cross-reference your actual fare codes against wheretocredit. Sometimes you don't earn ANY partner miles with the really cheap LH fares.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
In many cases UA is easier, as the earning miles ratio are significantly higher on UA.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Please keep in mind the “4 flights on UA metal” rule...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
At the about 30 flights a year, FTL - medium level status sounds fair. I have only just made sen this year with over 60 flights, about 50 legs in domestic economy and the other ten mixed long haul C/F. Simple message is if you want status, fly more.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys..... They were certainly not all in E class, for some reason my account history is showing that but it is certainly not correct.

Guess I'll need to make a spreadsheet and sort some of this out.... but certainly seems like LH MM is not the program for me.....

I did update the sheet with all of the correct fare classes but it will take some time to hash out all of the different fare classes and the mileage return for them. Looks like there some flights I left off as well.

Open to any other feedback but seems like a change is inevitable.
Attached Files

Last edited by ekasey; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:55 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, Accor Plat
It’s always been my dream to be a SEN. Years of FTL and it’s all I aspired to. Last year I became SEN and this year I renewed it for another two years. Lounge access is nice of course (no big difference between Business and SEN lounges though) but otherwise it’s soooo overrated. I didn’t get a single upgrade (50+ flights including overbooked ones where I was flying in full fare J class), SEN hotline is good but honestly on par with FTL hotline, during IRROPS I always get the f*nger esp. repeatedly from LX.. I’ll say the really good benefits for me are advanced seat selection incl. exit seats, priority luggage and priority boarding which I didn’t have as FTL. You’re much better off with Star Gold on another program for sure (incl. SEN lounge access) but check your real booking classes. Some programs won’t credit you on lower booking classes even on long-haul
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:22 pm

Edited as answer no longer relevant following second mileage table
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

So I did the Math, or rather excel did the math, and unless I did something wrong screwed either way. I did exclude the premium economy flight I took back to the states as this would not be normal travel for me.

It basically turns out like so:

Flown Mileage = 69597

Asiana = 25784

United = 35614

So looks like I am hosed either way.....

attached photo for anyone interested
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:35 am

OZ requires 40k collected over two years, it could work. But of course you are at the mercy of any devaluation or change in earning or travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.