Search

Moving from CX to AB ?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA SL, TG SL, Sixt DIA
Moving from CX to AB ?

tl;dr
With all the changes happening at CX I am considering my options in OW.

A little bit of background:
I am based in PVG and in the past travelled mainly to the US and Latin America. Mostly in Y.
I became EXP (OWE) in my second year and stayed EXP for about 3 years.
Generally I liked being EXP, especially for the crazy mileage earning and low redemption rates.

Then my travel profile changed and now I was travelling to the Middle East and Southern Africa more. Being in PVG CX was a good choice for me to reach these, but as many CX Y fares do not give miles on AA or just 50% I was looking for a change.
I heard good things about CXs program and the unofficial benefits. Got matched to Silver and hit Gold in the first year. Now I am Gold in my second year and on track to reach DM later this summer.
Up until about 6 months ago I was very happy with CX recognition and the occasional op-up happened as well, the last 6 month have been worse though. Reading in the CX forum this seems to be due to the "improvements" CX is implementing and planning for the future.

Now to my question:
I am planning to stay with CX at least until I reach DM. Maybe things will get better again once I hit that status and I will get hooked again and not look elsewhere anymore.

But right now I am considering to switch to AB later.

I am originally from Berlin and visit relatives about twice a year, I flew AB from time to time and think they are okay, so I think any requirements to fly them is easy.
The big advantage I see with their program is the possibility to credit EY miles to their program as well and reaching OWE faster than I would requalify on CX.

Any input on the situation or any would another carrier make more sense ?

Thanks for any input

ShanghighX
Old May 26, 2015, 5:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Moving from CX to AB ?

considering news articles which state AB's days may be numbered I would rethink that strategy.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Good plan - with one caveat:
Topbonus' earning rates for discount economy fares buckets on all partners are dismal - expect to earn nothing or 50% on most, including EY. Check the earning tables and compare with the fares you typically buy before committing:
http://www.airberlin.com/de-CH/site/...tner/index.php.
I credit EY flights to topbonus (we well as AB flights that don't earn well in AAdvantage) and the program does offer solid value for me.

As you say you're flying to the Middle East/Africa, I would also have a look at QR and Privilege Club.
Frequent Flyer programs across the board have implemented changes that reduced earning for cheap Y flyers - with the notable exception of AA at least for the time being. And I'm pretty sure the party there will end as well sooner rather than later....

And I don't think AB's days are numbered. When push comes to shove I'm sure their friends from AUH will find a creative way of injecting additional money.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Moving from CX to AB ?

the ceo of Etihad was the one quoted saying the airline needed to make money and they are done pumping money into it. agreed on the middle east ff idea
Old May 26, 2015, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA SL, TG SL, Sixt DIA
Thanks for the input everyone.

I'll see if and how things change once I hit CX DM and if I am still looking to switch will probably go with QR, as they would make the most sense for my travel patterns ATM.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:49 pm

CX is making changes to the MPC. I would wait to see what those changes are before I go jumping ship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.