Skypass or SkyMiles???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air Skypass / Delta Skymiles / Asiana Club / AAdvantage
Skypass or SkyMiles???

Greetings!

I am based out of CMH and prefer Delta when flying Domestic. That said,

My wife's family is in the Philippines and we fly there fairly often 3 to 4 times every two years RT). We were initially piling up miles with Asiana Club (Star Alliance) due to the reasonable cost of flying from ORD to MNL (Usually drive to ORD to save on cost)
Now that OZ ORD-ICN is a thing of the past after this October, we are targeting Korean Air SkyPass to achieve Morning Calm Status. We already have a Korean Air credit card and with future purchased flights, miles, etc, we should be to 50K very quickly.

Morning Calm Club Qualification

• 50,000 miles or more on Korean Air, or
  • 40 qualifying flights on Korean Air*, or
  • 50,000 or more combined miles on Korean Air and SKYPASS partners
    (provided that at least 30,000 miles are earned from Korean Air)

Morning Calm Club Period

• Valid for 2 Years

Conditions for Maintaining a Morning Calm Club Membership

To extend your membership for additional 2 years, simply fulfill any one of the following during your current membership period.
  • Accumulate 30,000 or more flown miles on Korean Air
  • Fly 20 more qualifying segments(*) on Korean Air
  • Accumulate a combined 30,000 or more flown miles with Korean Air and partner companies, provided that at least 20,000 miles or 15 qualifying flight segments(*) are on Korean Air
    (*) One Korean domestic flight is counted as half a qualifying flight. Any travel on non-mileage accruing tickets does not count as a qualifying segment.

Learning about this forum and the concept of "Mileage Runs" over the last few days has me wondering if it is better to continue with SkyPass to get 50K morning calm (30K Korean air with 20K partner every two years) or if having Delta Skymiles status wold be better. It seems to me that with my flying patters Skyteam Elite status is easier to obtain and maintain with Skypass. Thoughts?

Last edited by BigChiefToiletPaper; Sep 19, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BigChiefToiletPaper Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by BigChiefToiletPaper
I am based out of CMH and prefer Delta when flying Domestic. That said,

My wife's family is in the Philippines and we fly there fairly often 3 to 4 times every two years RT. We were initially piling up miles with Asiana Club (Star Alliance) due to the reasonable cost of flying from ORD to MNL (Usually drive to ORD to save on cost).

Now that OZ ORD-ICN is a thing of the past after this October, we are targeting Korean Air SkyPass to achieve Morning Calm Status. We already have a Korean Air credit card and with future purchased flights, miles, etc, we should be to 50K very quickly.

Learning about this forum and the concept of "Mileage Runs" over the last few days has me wondering if it is better to continue with SkyPass to get 50K morning calm (30K Korean air with 20K partner every two years) or if having Delta Skymiles status would be better.

In short, for someone who flies to Asia twice a year and domestically 5+ times a year at least, which program would you find advantageous?
What are your objectives from a ffp?
What do you expect status to do for you?
What has happened yo your Asiana Club ff miles?

Skyteam:- Which SkyTeam program should I sign up for?

General FFP:- Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

What are your objectives from a ffp?
Obtain Skyteam Elite membership (access to lounges and expedited check in. flying out of Manila is a pain in the ba-donkey and the expedited check in is a god-send), and also baggage allowance when traveling within Asia helps.

What do you expect status to do for you?
Don't care for the status other than the above.

What has happened yo your Asiana Club ff miles?
Used those miles with United to fly to Tokyo and back. Got 15K left (Good for a RT from Seoul to Busan)
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

To better answer your question, Using reward miles for overseas upgrades would definitely be a goal as well. I don’t know that I would use miles stateside so much.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigChiefToiletPaper
To better answer your question, Using reward miles for overseas upgrades would definitely be a goal as well. I don’t know that I would use miles stateside so much.
Cross airline ffp upgrades would need serious research. That is uncommon with ffp's.
For example Star Alliance has a cross airline upgrade system that has onerous t&c's and needs a high priced based fare: totally useless for most people.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:46 am

i just purchased a ticcket from Cebu to Atlanta with 62500 Korean air skypass miles; the same flight would have cost me 220000 sky miles with Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.