Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA make the most sense for me?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Does AA make the most sense for me?

I am based out of DFW. I am about to start doing a lot of flying for my company, and most of our locations are well-serviced by both Delta and AA. In fact, our travel booking site often tries to convince us to use Delta flights that have a connection instead of a nonstop AA flight... gotta love the "lowest logical fare" rule in our T&E policy.

Outside of business travel, I mostly travel to WAS (largely DCA) and will be traveling to the NYC area as well, likely JFK or LGA. I occasionally travel to Latin America (EZE, SCL, and MVD).

What I most want to use my redeemable miles for are trips to Europe. It seems like AA has recently devalued its miles for reward trips to Europe. I mostly fly in coach, and would likely use reward miles for coach trips rather than business or first class since they require so many more points.

In terms of European travel, I'd like to go to France more and I know AF is part of SkyTeam. I would like to see Germany, Spain, and Italy too. I flew to England on Virgin Atlantic recently and found them to be great, and IIRC they at least partly work with Delta, correct?

With all that in mind, is AA still the best bet for me? I currently don't hold Elite status with them and only have about 37K miles towards MM status with them, so switching to DL wouldn't be a big loss in that regard. What are y'alls thoughts?
Old May 7, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well the one thing I would caution about is that if the reason for sticking with one airline is to earn awards, there is a reason Delta SkyMiles are referred to as SkyPesos around here (AA hasn't gotten a nickname like that, yet). Also, if you are buying lowest fares, before you switch to Delta see what kind of earnings you will get out of their new program - the less you paid, the less miles you get.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Based on your travel plans, sounds like AA is your best option. At DFW you will have many non-stop options to DCA and NYC, plus international nonstops to Germany (FRA), France (CDG), Spain (MAD), EZE, and SCL.

Regarding mileage redemptions, AA seems to push reward bookings to Europe on British Airways which has high fuel surcharges ($600-$700). That makes award tickets in economy much less valuable.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by austin_res
Regarding mileage redemptions, AA seems to push reward bookings to Europe on British Airways which has high fuel surcharges ($600-$700). That makes award tickets in economy much less valuable.
On the other hand, BA availability at MilesAAver rates on AA is significantly better than AF/KL availability at Saver rates on DL -- at least for the moment.

Depends if OP is flexible about dates, and can plan far in advance.

Incidentally, BigOrangeTerp -- always at least check the rates for business class redemptions. If the lowest-level coach award isn't available, but the lowest-level business award is, you may end up breaking even or coming out slightly ahead. This applies to pretty much any carrier.

Last edited by dtremit; May 7, 2014 at 7:07 pm Reason: Corrected my terminology
Old May 7, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Thanks y'all. I had an inkling that AA was best for me but I wanted to weigh my options. Interesting about the BA surcharges, I'll keep that in mind.

Dtremit, I hadn't thought of that. Lord knows I could use the space for those longer trips. Flying MVD -> MIA -> DCA in coach is hell on my knees.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"On the other hand, BA availability at AAnytime rates on AA is significantly better than AF/KL availability at Saver rates on DL -- at least for the moment."

You cannot redeem an AAnytime award on BA. AAnytime awards are only valid on AA metal.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BigOrangeTerp Welcome to FT

As above earn to burn is what really matters if your objective is awards. But be careful about award surcharges

Look here, including the links is post 2 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old May 7, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by guv1976

You cannot redeem an AAnytime award on BA. AAnytime awards are only valid on AA metal.
Oops, editing mistake. I meant MilesAAver.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
I am based out of DFW. I am about to start doing a lot of flying for my company, and most of our locations are well-serviced by both Delta and AA. In fact, our travel booking site often tries to convince us to use Delta flights that have a connection instead of a nonstop AA flight... gotta love the "lowest logical fare" rule in our T&E policy.

Outside of business travel, I mostly travel to WAS (largely DCA) and will be traveling to the NYC area as well, likely JFK or LGA. I occasionally travel to Latin America (EZE, SCL, and MVD).

What I most want to use my redeemable miles for are trips to Europe. It seems like AA has recently devalued its miles for reward trips to Europe. I mostly fly in coach, and would likely use reward miles for coach trips rather than business or first class since they require so many more points.

In terms of European travel, I'd like to go to France more and I know AF is part of SkyTeam. I would like to see Germany, Spain, and Italy too. I flew to England on Virgin Atlantic recently and found them to be great, and IIRC they at least partly work with Delta, correct?

With all that in mind, is AA still the best bet for me? I currently don't hold Elite status with them and only have about 37K miles towards MM status with them, so switching to DL wouldn't be a big loss in that regard. What are y'alls thoughts?
As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.