Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about crediting miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Question about crediting miles

Hi all, I’m a Canadian doing my MD in Singapore and I had a few questions regarding my upcoming trips to and from Canada.

I fly SIN-EWR (SQ; P), EWR-YYZ-YFC (AC; Flex), YFC-YYZ-EWR (AC; Flex) and EWR-SIN (SQ; P) in March,

I fly SIN-LAX (SQ; P), LAX-YYZ-YFC (AC; Flex), YFC-YYZ-LAX (AC; Flex) and LAX-SIN (SQ; P) in June

I fly SIN-CDG (SQ; P) RT in December.

I was wondering where I should credit my miles? I’m stuck between Alaska (for SQ segments), Asiana (for both) and Aeroplan (for both).

I was thinking of crediting them to Asiana to get Star Alliance Gold (and keeping it for the 4 years) and Alaska because of their incredible versatility.

If you have any other programs that you suggest, please let me know. As I now live in Singapore for the foreseeable future, I will be flying to Canada quite a bit to visit my family and to France to visit my partner’s family.

I’m just curious whether it’s worth going for Star Alliance Gold if I already have a Priority Pass (Amex Plat) and mostly fly premium or above?

I will be repeating aforementioned trips every year, most likely through similar routes. I also have a few little trips to Thailand and Japan every couple months to visit some friends and will be opting to fly Star Alliance (Thai/Singapore).

What would you do?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:03 am

Asiana is a solid pick if you take the lifetime status into consideration (500,000 miles total) in addition to the great redeem rate, especially for the trans Atlantic routes.

The biggest drawback is however, only up to 125% miles are accrued for premium cabins.

I'd check SAS EuroBonus if I'd make it to gold status. (45000 miles/y )
If you manage to hold the gold status for 10 CONSECUTIVE years, you will get the lifetime gold.
artohlam likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:33 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

You may also try this:

Where to Credit Miles
artohlam likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why not krisflyer if you're based in SG and will frequently be flying SQ? None of the other ffp can book you premium cabin award in SQ, and no other ffp can give you miles for discounted SQ economy. Also plenty of credit cards for krisflyer.
Mwenenzi, cuzzybro and artohlam like this.

Last edited by zool007; Jan 25, 2020 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by zool007
Why not krisflyer if you're based in SG and will frequently be flying SQ? None of the other ffp can book you premium cabin award in SQ, and no other ffp can give you miles for discounted SQ economy. Also plenty of credit cards for krisflyer.
SQ miles expire after just 36 months.
artohlam likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artohlam
Hi all, I’m a Canadian doing my MD in Singapore and I had a few questions regarding my upcoming trips to and from Canada.
I fly SIN-EWR (SQ; P), EWR-YYZ-YFC (AC; Flex), YFC-YYZ-EWR (AC; Flex) and EWR-SIN (SQ; P) in March,
I fly SIN-LAX (SQ; P), LAX-YYZ-YFC (AC; Flex), YFC-YYZ-LAX (AC; Flex) and LAX-SIN (SQ; P) in June
I fly SIN-CDG (SQ; P) RT in December.

I was wondering where I should credit my miles? I’m stuck between Alaska (for SQ segments), Asiana (for both) and Aeroplan (for both).
I was thinking of crediting them to Asiana to get Star Alliance Gold (and keeping it for the 4 years) and Alaska because of their incredible versatility.

If you have any other programs that you suggest, please let me know. As I now live in Singapore for the foreseeable future, I will be flying to Canada quite a bit to visit my family and to France to visit my partner’s family.

I’m just curious whether it’s worth going for Star Alliance Gold if I already have a Priority Pass (Amex Plat) and mostly fly premium or above?

I will be repeating aforementioned trips every year, most likely through similar routes. I also have a few little trips to Thailand and Japan every couple months to visit some friends and will be opting to fly Star Alliance (Thai/Singapore).

What would you do?
What are your objectives from a ffp?
Flying premium cabins you get many of the benefits of status
Could you get ff miles from credit card spending? A major source of ff miles for many people now

A good Star Alliance ffp summary in post 5 here (flying to EU)---> Best Star program to credit if I don't plan to fly UA?

Star Alliance: Need advice on which Star Alliance FF scheme to join? - please post here

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asiana
Originally Posted by planes&trains
You may also try this:

Where to Credit Miles
Broken link
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:45 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by cancruiser
Broken link
Seems to work for me. Here is the URL.

https://www.wheretocredit.com
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:56 pm

Be careful crediting SQ to OZ. I booked a premium economy flight (18k miles), which should have received 100% credit for Asiana (R fare class on SQ). Asiana refused to give me the miles, claiming that my booking shows as an award ticket. I have sent them the original booking email, which clearly shows I paid cash for an R-code ticket booked directly with SQ, but they refuse to budge. SQ refuses to even reply to emails (been 3 weeks and no reply), and OZ says I need an email from SQ to proceed.

Thankfully, I already have OZ Diamond for the current period, and I imagine OZ will be out of business before I get 500k miles for lifetime status. Regardless, the whole process has been a royal PITA and I am kind of hoping at this point that they do indeed go under so I quit wasting my time with them.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
Be careful crediting SQ to OZ. I booked a premium economy flight (18k miles), which should have received 100% credit for Asiana (R fare class on SQ). Asiana refused to give me the miles, claiming that my booking shows as an award ticket. I have sent them the original booking email, which clearly shows I paid cash for an R-code ticket booked directly with SQ, but they refuse to budge. SQ refuses to even reply to emails (been 3 weeks and no reply), and OZ says I need an email from SQ to proceed.

Thankfully, I already have OZ Diamond for the current period, and I imagine OZ will be out of business before I get 500k miles for lifetime status. Regardless, the whole process has been a royal PITA and I am kind of hoping at this point that they do indeed go under so I quit wasting my time with them.
That's a problem from SQ, why do you wish the worst to OZ?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Originally Posted by downinit

Did you upgrade the flight to business using miles? I had an issue before with SQ premium economy paid fare upgraded with SQ miles to business, and crediting flight to OZ, I simply emailed them a copy of the original ticket, and the email from SQ when you use your miles to upgrade, all merged into one PDF, I received the miles for the original booking class in 48 hours. This was a while back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.