Asiana Club

Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Asiana Club

Are other members still accumulating miles in the OZ program or have people abandoned it due to the perception of an uncertain future?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 7:50 pm

I'm shopping around. KE Skypass is a complete cluster.... for status and I'd want nothing to do with it. Based on the proposed changes to Skypass apparently you have to earn 40k miles on KE/Skyteam (doable), 30k of which has to be KE (not doable) to get lounge access. Maybe they walked it back but they've already shown their hand.

I have a substantial stash in Asiana Club and will probably match my status to Delta or start over with Turkish (or both).

Last edited by stupidhead; Oct 21, 2021 at 7:56 pm
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead
I have a substantial stash in Asiana Club and will probably match my status to Delta or start over with Turkish (or both).
Will Delta status match Asiana Club?

I want to stay in StarAlliance, but don't know where to move to. Turkish is 40K the first year to get Gold, yes? And then two year renewal after that?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by dcmike
Will Delta status match Asiana Club?
It's listed on their status challenge website, so I assume so. I think Diamond matches to Gold if you fly 12,500EQM/1,500EQD or something.

Originally Posted by dcmike
I want to stay in StarAlliance, but don't know where to move to. Turkish is 40K the first year to get Gold, yes? And then two year renewal after that?
Yes. 40k to qualify, 25k/year to renew or 37.5k over 2 years. I think you can also buy up to a certain number of EQMs.

If the merger doesn't go through for whatever reason, Asiana could very well go out of business, and if the merger does go through, it's 100% guaranteed it's absorbed into KE. Either way, pretty high chances you'll have to start over to stay in Star.
dcmike likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Are other members still accumulating miles in the OZ program or have people abandoned it due to the perception of an uncertain future?
still staying put for the time being
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I am going to bank another 80k or so miles into Asiana in 2021. That will get me enough for a 1st class long haul return redemtion to take in 2022/3. I don't think the merger will complete quickly enough to derail that plan.

Next year I have several business class long hauls planned that will probably be on ET or TK. Those will get me Elite at least on TK Miles & Smiles and I don't need status for those as are in J anyway. I will still have Oz Diamond (Gold) for any economy Star Alliance flights I have to take next year. I don't mind crediting those Y flights to Oz even if the miles go to waste as the miles accumulated in Y are generally peanuts.

Once I get Elite (Gold) next year on TK, I will then become a Miles & Smiles FFer and will credit all flights to TK and will ditch Asiana.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriot Plat, OZ *G
Yeah I have. When Air Canada wasn't being able to be creditable and being a resident of Canada. This really made me not want to use Asiana anymore.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:50 am

TK seems to be the most popular to head to from OZ, but what about A3?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by maestro1981
TK seems to be the most popular to head to from OZ, but what about A3?
A3 has a metal requirement. Fine if you visit Greece annually or live nearby and can fly A3 occasionally.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Can someone suggest the best use for 850 orphan OZ miles?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:48 pm

I switched to TK, which has been a nightmare so far. I knew that P fare (discounted J) on LH earns 0%, but the same fare on Swiss is supposed to earn 100%. I have taken two RT TATL in P on Swiss, and neither one was 'eligible' for earning miles on Turkish. I fought for about a month to finally get the miles for my August trip, and now I am back in the same hellish mess again for my November trip, still stuck in a holding pattern while I go around in circles with their customer diservice. I would highly suggest looking elsewhere if you will be planning to fly to/from Europe on any airline other than TK. They have a stick up their back against LH, and take it out on their customers.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by downinit
I switched to TK, which has been a nightmare so far. I knew that P fare (discounted J) on LH earns 0%, but the same fare on Swiss is supposed to earn 100%. I have taken two RT TATL in P on Swiss, and neither one was 'eligible' for earning miles on Turkish. I fought for about a month to finally get the miles for my August trip, and now I am back in the same hellish mess again for my November trip, still stuck in a holding pattern while I go around in circles with their customer diservice. I would highly suggest looking elsewhere if you will be planning to fly to/from Europe on any airline other than TK. They have a stick up their back against LH, and take it out on their customers.
LH (and its subsidiaries) purposely treat TK like this because TK licks the pants off the LH group in all markets where they compete; so if you rate non-stop flights from CH/D/A highly, do not choose TK as your FQTV program!
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:22 pm

LH (and its subsidiaries) purposely treat TK like this because TK licks the pants off the LH group in all markets where they compete; so if you rate non-stop flights from CH/D/A highly, do not choose TK as your FQTV program!
The fact that LH and TK do not like each other is a given, but this issue is 100% the fault of TK. LH does not design the poorly functioning M&S backend system that cannot accurately match fare codes and partner mileage earning for *A flights. TK's refusal to addres this known glitch is the true culprit here.

Unfortunately, TK and A3 are the only two programs I could reliably get *G with, and I do not plan on flying A3 more than once or twice in my lifetime. TK is certainly an option for my TATL flights, but their current schedule for LAX leaves a lot to be desired. I am actually more likely to be flying PE than J (*G is basically worthless when flying J, anyway). TK got rid of their PE, but all of the LH PE fares earn well on TK (aside from Swiss, which just launched their product and is absent from M&S).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
What would be a reliable *A gold option for someone based out of NY? I was thinking TK after OZ, but it seems to be a nightmare according to some posts here?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:18 am

Any idea on what could be a good programme for one living in Toronto but working in Taiwan? I flies between the two places regularly. Was thinking of TK but it seems that could be risky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.