Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where to Credit Miles? Delta or Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Hi everyone,

I'm doing an one off flight with Delta soon: YVR-SEA-HKG and return, roughly 15000 miles. Most of my transpacific flights are on CX, and other Oneworld partners. I am Marco Polo Gold, and statusless with Star Alliance and Skyteam. I understand it would be useless to credit them to my China Southern account given the fare class.

I'm torn between which program to credit these miles to.
1) SkyMiles
2) Alaska Mileage Plan

Delta pro's:
- 100% earning mileage
- Crossover Rewards with SPG [ < 10 nights a year, not a lot]
- Possibility of status match to Medallion Gold or at least Silver
[thus 25% or 100% bonus miles, lounge, EC seats, etc for my next 6 segements]
- Miles last for lifetime, no expiry

Cons:
- I don't foresee myself traveling anymore on Delta or Skyteam in the short term
- MDQ requirement starting next year that does not apply to me, but I understand
2015 SkyMiles Program....earning mileage will be based on the ticket's $$$ instead of miles flown
- Devaluation of the SkyMiles program and increased mileage needed next year
ie. a transpacific flight in Y would require 90,000 miles I think?

Alaska pro's:
- 100% earning mileage
- the ability to credit my CX flights to Alaska if needed (hopefully, probably not..to maintain my MPC status)
- ability to redeem CX and other partner's flights.

Cons:
- Mileage expire or at least need a crediting activity every 24 months.
- Statusless on my upcoming 6 Delta segments.

What do you FT experts think? Anything else I'm missing between the two?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anxietyflyer

- Devaluation of the SkyMiles program and increased mileage needed next year
ie. a transpacific flight in Y would require 90,000 miles I think?
They are going to a 5 tier system, but redemption levels are largely in the same band. Northern Asian trips start at 70,000 miles, the same as the current "saver" level. There is a comparison chart here -- http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...5SMP-award.pdf
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
They are going to a 5 tier system, but redemption levels are largely in the same band. Northern Asian trips start at 70,000 miles, the same as the current "saver" level. There is a comparison chart here -- http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...5SMP-award.pdf
I think with Alaska, redeeming on CX, from North America is still 60,000 miles iirc.

Both Delta and Alaska have a credit card bonus of 25-30k I think.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL - PM, SPG - Gold, National - Executive, Hertz - Five Star, Hilton - Gold, Marriott - Gold
My personal opinion is to credit it to Alaska.

As a Delta PM, I made the decision to switch to AS this year as I liked the earning/redemption potential better and it gave me more flexibility of airlines to travel with (AS, DL, AA).

As for your cons with AS, if you are OneWorld, you can credit a short hop on AA to AS to keep your miles active. As for your status, if you can status match to DL, you can match to AS. And they offer an actual match, instead of a challenge you likely wouldn't complete. While MVP Gold, or MVP won't get you much on DL, it will at least get you "preferred" seats - aisle, window, exit row, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.