Wiki Posts
Search

Delta or Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Delta or Alaska

Hello everyone first post.
I got interested in miles program and would like to know which status would be useful for me for traveling premium class next year from sea. I don’t have any status but would like to know which would be better delta Alaska since they fly a lot from sea. Also I like to fly to South Pacific at least once year, but next year would like to travel to Asia. I see flights one way on delta under $110 one way to other west coast cities like there A220 would like to fly that. Also something which would help on international upgrades fly business class if any airline status allows it? Thank u
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airnewzealand08 Welcome to FT ^ (An Air NZ devotee?)
Originally Posted by Airnewzealand08
Hello everyone first post.
I got interested in miles program and would like to know which status would be useful for me for traveling premium class next year from SEA. I don’t have any status but would like to know which would be better Delta Alaska since they fly a lot from SEA.
Also I like to fly to South Pacific at least once year, but next year would like to travel to Asia. I see flights one way on Delta under $110 one way to other west coast cities like there A220 would like to fly that.
Also something which would help on international upgrades fly business class if any airline status allows it?
Thank u
What are your objectives from a ffp? Just status (a shiny card)?
What do you hope/expect status will do for you? (Many freq flyers have status)
What is your flight pattern/class of travel?
Will you fly enough to get status? DL is a revenue based ffp. AS is not (yet) a revenue based ffp, but distance based. Both subject to the finer rules and t&c's

For South Pacific depends on where you go. DL has Virgin Australia as a ff partner. AS has Qantas (& JL) as a ff partner

Getting international upgrades on partner airlines is impossible to extremely hard, depending on the ffp's. On you own airline just plain hard. Expect to fly in the cabin you pay for. With AS no ff mile/status upgrades on QF

General FFP:- Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

(Some years ago DL & AA were AS ff partners. Now AA is a limited AS partner, but that goes next year. For a long time AS was a very good ffp)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 20, 2019 at 7:28 pm Reason: added "With AS no ff mile/status ao with QF"
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Ok thank u helps a lot just got interested in ffp, Just wanted to know if it’s better to have status or not worth it. I try to fly at least 2/3 months to other west coast Cities since fare isn’t that bad. Wanted to travel to Asia thought status would help with upgrades?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok thank u helps a lot just got interested in ffp, Just wanted to know if it’s better to have status or not worth it. I try to fly at least 2/3 months to other west coast Cities since fare isn’t that bad. Wanted to travel to Asia thought status would help with upgrades?
So maybe 24 - 36 flights a year. Depending on price, distance, class etc that getting towards bottom level status. Many variables. FFP's are not simple

Status can be worth something. Buy if spending your own money often not worth paying extra to fly a certain airline just for a little extra of status earning/ff miles.

Anyway you should sign up with ffp's. Many people now get frequent flyer miles from non flying activities:- credit cards, hotels etc. Many frequent flyer programs are morphing into frequent spender programs, with ff miles as the result.

Edit
From 3 years ago, so a little of of date
AS forum Talk me into/out of it: leave DL for Alaska?
DL forum Talk me into/out of it: leave DL for Alaska?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 20, 2019 at 7:36 pm
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Ok thank for all the help
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Airnewzealand08.

Are you based in SEA?

I'd take a long look at AS, as they still offer miles based off mileage. Upgrades are a crapshoot these days, but it won't help with upgrades internationally over the Pacific. They will reward you nicely however for using their partners in premium cabins, especially if you acquire status on AS (mileage bonuses compounding).

Good luck ^
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Ya based in Seattle so AS is what I’m leaning towards since they partner with FJ and Qantas for traveling towards South Pacific and SingaporeAir and Cathay which looks pretty good 50k business to Asia is sweet! Thank u for replying and the advice!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Status isn't going to get you free upgrades to Asia and AS status probably won't affect any offers of paid upgrades on CX, QF, SQ, etc.
Airnewzealand08 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Ok thank u
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Status with either airline won't get you international upgrades on partner airlines. But Alaska's FF program is a lot better than Delta's, including amassing miles (especially as you attain status) for use for international travel. And once you do attain status with Alaska, it can help with domestic upgrades and other perks. And, for what it's worth, some of Alaska's domestic (particularly West Coast) flights in first class are pretty reasonable.

You should consider signing up for Alaska's Bank of America personal and business credit cards, for their bonuses (40K miles each?) for initial spending ($3,000 within 3 months?) and for ongoing spending on Alaska flights.

Lots more good info and advice at the Alaska Airlines forum here at FT.
Airnewzealand08 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Ok cool thanks still new but helps a lot for all the advice thank u
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
Something no one else has mentioned yet: status with Alaska offers very little benefits on their partners. If you were to have top-tier status with Alaska (MVP Gold 75k), that status would only grant you lounge access on a few partners. No priority boarding, no priority check-in/security, no free checked bags, etc. Meanwhile, status with Delta would give you reciprocal benefits on Delta partners. You can board first, use the priority lanes at check-in and security, access lounges, etc. Not sure how big of a priority this is, but I just thought I would mention it.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Ok thank u that’s pretty cool thank u

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.