Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best FF program for specific route

Old Mar 25, 22, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles

(first post, hopefully in the right place)

I plan to be flying LAS/MNL several times this year, and possibly in following years. (potentially other routes to Asia, but that's a secondary concern for now)

I'd like to build status in the program that will benefit me the most, preferably with free/heavily-discounted upgrades to the top seat class.

I'm currently in Delta and could probably get to Platinum this year, but I just read that they nuked the Delta One international upgrades for everyone last year, even the highest classes.

I read where United is currently the best program overall, but 3 stopovers turned me off of that.

Philippine air has direct flights from LAX, but their program also doesn't appear to have much in the way of free top-tier upgrades.

Anyone know of another option, or do I have to be satisfied with premium economy for now, and paying out of pocket for anything better?
Old Mar 25, 22, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't know what its upgrade policy is, but Korean flies LAS-ICN nonstop, and starting in July, ICN-MNL nonstop. But be sure to check frequencies and connection times.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 25, 22, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KJ21 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by KJ21 View Post
(first post, hopefully in the right place)

I plan to be flying LAS/MNL several times this year, and possibly in following years. (potentially other routes to Asia, but that's a secondary concern for now)

I'd like to build status in the program that will benefit me the most, preferably with free/heavily-discounted upgrades to the top seat class.

I'm currently in Delta and could probably get to Platinum this year, but I just read that they nuked the Delta One international upgrades for everyone last year, even the highest classes.

I read where United is currently the best program overall, but 3 stopovers turned me off of that.

Philippine air has direct flights from LAX, but their program also doesn't appear to have much in the way of free top-tier upgrades.

Anyone know of another option, or do I have to be satisfied with premium economy for now, and paying out of pocket for anything better?
Realistically getting (free/low cost) upgrades is not going to happen on a international long haul route. The upgrade policy between USA and non USA airlines is very different. On non USA airlines always expect to fly in the seat you buy. Some/many airlines will not offer an upgrade on the lowest priced fares and will require a co payment of cash and/or ff miles and/or upgrade only to next highest class (Y to PE or PE to bus). Upgrades are not guaranteed;

What airlines fly the LAS-XXX-MNL route?
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Wikipedia-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninoy_...tional_Airport (airlines-routes may not be up to date)
FT thread-->Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 27, 22, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of the major USA carriers, the only people who get a few upgrade certs for international longhaul flights on DL are DM (four one way certs at most, where DM requires 50,000 more status miles AND $6,000 more DL spend than PM), PlatPro on either UA or AA, and top tier published on the other of UA/AA.

Search this Thread