Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

CX Marco Polo Club vs QR Privilege Club

CX Marco Polo Club vs QR Privilege Club

Old Oct 18, 17, 9:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: BA CX DL KE OZ*G PR QF QR; SPG IHG MR HH
Posts: 74
CX Marco Polo Club vs QR Privilege Club

Just want to ask if those in the know how most airlines (specifically CX in my case) choose who they upgrade when Y is overbooked.

My home airport has many leisure passengers and often fully booked in Y, but CX often has lots of available J seats. I signed up for MPC Green and had been upgraded once even with such low status.

Due to MPC having higher requirements and since I have an upcoming QR flight, I computed and I can make it either to MPC Silver or QR PC Gold. And in subsequent years, it might be easier for me to maintain status at MPC Green or QR PC Silver. I fly far more with CX though.

Will CX choose an MPC Green member to upgrade rather than a OW Ruby member from a partner airlines? How about an MPC Silver member compared to a OW Gold member from a partner airline?
Wuxia is offline  
Old Jan 14, 18, 2:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: QR
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Wuxia View Post
Just want to ask if those in the know how most airlines (specifically CX in my case) choose who they upgrade when Y is overbooked.

My home airport has many leisure passengers and often fully booked in Y, but CX often has lots of available J seats. I signed up for MPC Green and had been upgraded once even with such low status.

Due to MPC having higher requirements and since I have an upcoming QR flight, I computed and I can make it either to MPC Silver or QR PC Gold. And in subsequent years, it might be easier for me to maintain status at MPC Green or QR PC Silver. I fly far more with CX though.

Will CX choose an MPC Green member to upgrade rather than a OW Ruby member from a partner airlines? How about an MPC Silver member compared to a OW Gold member from a partner airline?
-----
I don't have a lot of experience but since nobody else answered..... I was/am QR Silver and was upgraded on my first CX flight, PE to Business. Was traveling with my wife, who was/is QR Silver as well, but I turned it down to stay with her in PE. They must have been in a jam because they returned 5 minutes later and said ok, you're both upgraded. Extra nice being the TPAC HGK-LAX portion of our trip. I wasn't an MPC or Asia Miles member then, or now.

Even though all my flying will be East from Bangkok now, decided to stay with QR Privilege Club as it's easier to qualify and retain Silver tier. I need 300 points to qualify Silver in MPC, which is two full round trips in PE to LAX and back. 150 for QR, which is less than 2 full trips. Silver's good enough for me to use the Biz Class check in counter if I'm flying regular Eco. I don't fly enough now days to chase higher tiers and/or try to retain them.
Nanda Chai is offline  
Old Feb 16, 18, 9:55 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: QR
Posts: 12
Almost unbelievable, even to me, but wife and I just flew CX BKK - LAX and again, both upgraded from PE into Business. This one happened when we checked in at Bangkok.
Nanda Chai is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:48 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 399
would like to bump this thread and bring it back to its thread title´s intention....I am mainly flying coach to East Asia and India (from Europe) and will spend most of my time in either CX or QR operated flights.
I am not so focussed on how fast/easy it is to achieve top tier/OW emerald (as I think I would achieve that pretty quickly) but more on the overall program wrt to upgrades, vouchers, recognition, redemption.

Thoughts on this forum about the pros and cons of either program?
yapak2 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 1:17 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,210
Originally Posted by yapak2 View Post
would like to bump this thread and bring it back to its thread title´s intention....I am mainly flying coach to East Asia and India (from Europe) and will spend most of my time in either CX or QR operated flights.
I am not so focussed on how fast/easy it is to achieve top tier/OW emerald (as I think I would achieve that pretty quickly) but more on the overall program wrt to upgrades, vouchers, recognition, redemption.

Thoughts on this forum about the pros and cons of either program?
What ffp's are you a member of now?

Why top level (OW Emerald) status?
Mid level (OW Sapphire) status will get you lounge access

Flying economy it will be hard to get top level status.
Many low cost flights on CX are low earning to any ffp.

Now-days many low cost fares are not eligible for upgrade.
You are not going to get cross airline upgrades
Look at QR process for upgrades: its not easy
I would not be considering upgrade as feature to decide a ffp.

Several QR vs??? & CX vs?? linked threads in Oneworld which ffp:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:38 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What ffp's are you a member of now?

Why top level (OW Emerald) status?
Mid level (OW Sapphire) status will get you lounge access

Flying economy it will be hard to get top level status.
Many low cost flights on CX are low earning to any ffp.

Now-days many low cost fares are not eligible for upgrade.
You are not going to get cross airline upgrades
Look at QR process for upgrades: its not easy
I would not be considering upgrade as feature to decide a ffp.

Several QR vs??? & CX vs?? linked threads in Oneworld which ffp:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here
thanks.
why emerald? because of the lounge access to premium lounges.....
I am already emerald, albeit with another ow carrier.
I am laso ey plat and *a gold...so, really my current situation is merely switching from one ow program (which is merely to accrue miles but I hardly use that airline) to another airline´s, whose flights I mostly take.
thanks for the link
yapak2 is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 12:32 am
  #7  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 9,711
Originally Posted by yapak2 View Post
thanks.
why emerald? because of the lounge access to premium lounges.....
I am already emerald, albeit with another ow carrier.
I am laso ey plat and *a gold...so, really my current situation is merely switching from one ow program (which is merely to accrue miles but I hardly use that airline) to another airline´s, whose flights I mostly take.
thanks for the link
Why do you think you would get Emerald in your new program easily? Both CX and QR are quite difficult to get to Emerald when you're only flying economy class.
sxc is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 12:42 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Why do you think you would get Emerald in your new program easily? Both CX and QR are quite difficult to get to Emerald when you're only flying economy class.
because I easily rack up 10-12 lh in coach per year (which as per my math should do the trick=
yapak2 is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 12:57 am
  #9  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 9,711
Originally Posted by yapak2 View Post
because I easily rack up 10-12 lh in coach per year (which as per my math should do the trick=
Just for perspective, a return LHR-HKG on CX in medium class Y would earn you 90 points. So 12 return trips would get you 1080 points and you need 1200 for CX Diamond. If you can achieve 1200 CX points, then that's great, but just making sure you know how much you would need to fly.
sxc is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 1:07 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Just for perspective, a return LHR-HKG on CX in medium class Y would earn you 90 points. So 12 return trips would get you 1080 points and you need 1200 for CX Diamond. If you can achieve 1200 CX points, then that's great, but just making sure you know how much you would need to fly.
yep, thanks, I know....thats the route plus a connection from HKG.
yapak2 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 3:46 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by yapak2 View Post
yep, thanks, I know....thats the route plus a connection from HKG.
thanks for the help...just as an fyi for those in similar self-debate....since QR gave me the cold shoulder and CX just now gave me instant gold ....CX won. Whether I won remains to be seen...:-)
yapak2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread