Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying Again - Looking for program advice out of YVR

Flying Again - Looking for program advice out of YVR

Old May 12, 18, 6:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 98
Flying Again - Looking for program advice out of YVR

So, was SE for 5 years prior to going on a work hiatus for 18mths. Unfortunately, heading back to business travel now and am trying to decide on which program to join now that I'm free to choose.

Travel will be mostly NAM out of YVR. Half J and half Economy. I expect to fly between 50K to 75K, I don't expect to fly enough to hit 100K. As I really don't see much value from AC unless SE I'm pretty interested in other options. Looking at United or even Westjet.

Suggestions?
Any success with status challenges in this scenario?

thanks!
yvr_amm is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 7:02 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Posts: 2,651
Where are your expected destinations?
And what does NAM mean?*

*edit: disregard. I think question 2 just answered question 1. D'oh.

I've had great success out of YVR with UA, which will help if you do some domestic flying with AC. Others claim DL is an excellent choice. I suppose it does depend upon which cities you expect to travel most frequently. I suggest DL, mainly to prevent another UA Platinum from competing for my own upgrades.
HampsteadHeath likes this.
CZAMFlyer is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 7:23 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,849
If you are flying on shorthaul work tickets, you will be raking in a lot more redeemable miles (and ones that dont expire in 2020) crediting to a revenue-based program like MileagePlus,
No fuel scamcharges or fake taxes when redeeming also a bonus.
Another bonus is you can even buy domestic AC J/Y tickets on united.com - and earn revenue based points. And J trips will earn 200% qualifying miles.
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 7:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Posts: 2,651
rankourabu makes a great case. I still think you should explore Skyteam.
CZAMFlyer is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 7:35 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,902
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
If you are flying on shorthaul work tickets, you will be raking in a lot more redeemable miles (and ones that dont expire in 2020) crediting to a revenue-based program like MileagePlus,
No fuel scamcharges or fake taxes when redeeming also a bonus.
Another bonus is you can even buy domestic AC J/Y tickets on united.com - and earn revenue based points. And J trips will earn 200% qualifying miles.
It is a false statement to say that Aeroplan miles expire in 2020. It would be more accurate to state the facts as we know them, just in case Op isn't aware of what is happening. Air Canada is taking over their own program, starting in 2020. We really don't know how Aeroplan will fit into that.
canadiancow, tcook052 and RZR like this.
YEG_SE4Life is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 11:31 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Posts: 192
This thread has piqued my interest; reading UA's website... So if a Canadian Resident is exempt from PQD on United Milageplus; to achieve similar status to my 50K with AC (basically *G) I'd only have to shoot for the 50K miles or 60 segment requirement? Sounds like a couple trips from YVR-Asia in Business would do the trick really quick...
trek604 is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 11:45 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,849
Originally Posted by trek604 View Post
This thread has piqued my interest; reading UA's website... So if a Canadian Resident is exempt from PQD on United Milageplus; to achieve similar status to my 50K with AC (basically *G) I'd only have to shoot for the 50K miles or 60 segment requirement? Sounds like a couple trips from YVR-Asia in Business would do the trick really quick...
Yes, and all business fares (P and up) earn at least 200% elite miles. To get Star Gold you would only need to fly 25,000 in business, and since PQD is irrelevant, they can be on AC, or any other airline that earns 200% for business. The only other requirement is you must complete 4 segments on UA metal.

I earned ~40000 elite qualifying miles on a YYZ-CTU roundtrip. Never mind Star Gold, 2.5 of those, and youre top tier.

If these are work paid trips on pricey tickets, you are really raking it in, on elite miles, and redeemable miles.
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 11:59 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Yes, and all business fares (P and up) earn at least 200% elite miles. To get Star Gold you would only need to fly 25,000 in business, and since PQD is irrelevant, they can be on AC, or any other airline that earns 200% for business. The only other requirement is you must complete 4 segments on UA metal.

I earned ~40000 elite qualifying miles on a YYZ-CTU roundtrip. Never mind Star Gold, 2.5 of those, and youre top tier.

If these are work paid trips on pricey tickets, you are really raking it in, on elite miles, and redeemable miles.
Thanks. Very interesting indeed. My flights are usually within Canada on AC. I guess I'd lose the ability to eUp, but what about priority wait list or standby I wonder?
trek604 is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 12:56 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,432
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Yes, and all business fares (P and up) earn at least 200% elite miles.
Dang. 100% COS on P and up fares! I don't think AC ever had such a COS for any fare. Not even full blown J. Well, at least since 2001 when I started flying, IIRC.
yyznomad is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 1:28 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,849
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Dang. 100% COS on P and up fares! I don't think AC ever had such a COS for any fare. Not even full blown J. Well, at least since 2001 when I started flying, IIRC.
Full fare J is 300% elite qualifying if flying AC - and 200% redeemable miles, if on AC stock (there are others below with similar earnings)

On top of that Air Canada, ANA, Austrian, Azul, Brussels, Lufthansa and SWISS flights earn 100% elite bonus. So an AC P ticket actually earns me 300% redeemable miles, and 200% elite qualifying miles. What does an SE earn on AC P fares?


This is in line with earnings with AA and DL on business fares.
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 1:31 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,849
I just remembered this post, it has a nice summary

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29292897-post133.html
eracerblue likes this.
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 8:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: YYZ
Programs: E50K, DL GM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Posts: 15
Makes is clear MileagePlus is superior.

I am in a similar situation. I have been using AC Altitude for FF on my United bookings on pace for E50k (mostly expensive short hauls to middle America with 1 connection 2.5x a month). I am now realizing MileagePlus where I should be focusing and can achieve Premier Gold this year (only if I can apply my previous bookings, is that possible?)

If I continue this year on MileagePlus I will get Premier Silver (counting only future travel).

Has anyone had success with transferring completed flights from Altitude to MileagePlus?
skiereric is offline  
Old May 13, 18, 5:58 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,849
If they 've previously been credited, it's a no go.
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 13, 18, 8:51 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,876
This post doesn't factor in the lack of a UA credit card in Canada.May or may not be important to some.
tracon is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 12:42 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: YVR
Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
Posts: 82
I was an Aeroplan member for many years, but when my flying picked up, I switched to United. I have been a UA elite out of YVR for the last 3 years -- as Silver, Gold, Platinum, and this year I'm on track for 1K. I fly about 10-15 trips a year: a couple TATL, a couple domestic longhaul, and most of the remainder transborder.

I've been fairly pleased with their program. They've treated me well the few times there's been IRROPS. I get upgrades with some frequency. And I've been able to get a few decent reward flights.

Being Canada-based for UA has some benefits. First we're exempt from their spending requirements, which is beneficial for me given that I'm buying low-cost Y. Secondly, UA limits access to their lounges to paid United Club members, non-UA *G, and UA elite flying international itineraries. Since most of my trips are cross-border, that means I get lounge access most of the time. My *G status also gets me MLL access. So, on the whole, I feel that as a Canada-based UA MP member, I get better benefits than either a US-based MP member or Canada-based Aeroplan member.
silver_halide is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: