QR Privilege Club vs. BAEC

Old May 16, 20, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
QR Privilege Club vs. BAEC (?)

Hi valued members - as usual, I am asking for your excellent advice.

Currently BAEC Gold and will - most likely - re-qualify or will be at least Silver next year, pending CoVid 19.

We won a new project and hence I will need to travel LHR to DOH at least every 14 days to 4 weeks. Unfortunately that will be mostly Y and given that, I will fly QR to avoid the dreaded BA 787 and after flying Q Suites a few times I am a QR fan anyway.

Question: Is there any reason to move to QR Privilege club? I think I would be Gold relatively soon (I believe I need 300 TP and I'll get 60-80 TP per return) but I have next to no knowledge about this programme (e.g. would I still be able to select BA seats/ can I access the AA Flagship Lounge when flying Y)? Or not worth to think about it at all as benefits are in your opinion much lower in terms of redemptions, etc?

I will remain LHR based and apart from flying to Qatar most of my flights are towards the US and Continental Europe.

Any thoughts as usual welcome - thanks!

D

Last edited by Duck1981; May 16, 20 at 9:53 am Reason: typo
Old May 16, 20, 7:04 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, SQ, EK
QRPC? Ruuuuuuunnn! BAEC all the way.
Alfredbali, Mwenenzi and spec119 like this.
Old May 16, 20, 10:28 pm

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Silver
QRPC the one and only ffp that ever dared to double the redemption costs overnight, without warning members, while calling the devaluation an enhancement... That happened two years ago.
Since then the value of the program is very poor.
avf.tan, SullyofDoha, NoY and 3 others like this.
Old May 16, 20, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Hi valued members - as usual, I am asking for your excellent advice.

Currently BAEC Gold and will - most likely - re-qualify or will be at least Silver next year, pending CoVid 19.

We won a new project and hence I will need to travel LHR to DOH at least every 14 days to 4 weeks. Unfortunately that will be mostly Y and given that, I will fly QR to avoid the dreaded BA 787 and after flying Q Suites a few times I am a QR fan anyway.

Question: Is there any reason to move to QR Privilege club? I think I would be Gold relatively soon (I believe I need 300 TP and I'll get 60-80 TP per return) but I have next to no knowledge about this programme (e.g. would I still be able to select BA seats/ can I access the AA Flagship Lounge when flying Y)? Or not worth to think about it at all as benefits are in your opinion much lower in terms of redemptions, etc?

I will remain LHR based and apart from flying to Qatar most of my flights are towards the US and Continental Europe.

Any thoughts as usual welcome - thanks
What are your objectives from status?
For awards looked at the earn/burn?
And the method to get awards/upgrades? (QR is different!)

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
BA Gold = OW Emerald
QR Gold = OW Sapphire
How close to BA lifetime status?

BA seat selection & lounge access is based on status. Not the airline you hold status with
QR does have lounge restrictions (guess are currently closed)
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LHR
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=DOH
Old May 17, 20, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What are your objectives from status?
For awards looked at the earn/burn?
And the method to get awards/upgrades? (QR is different!)

How close to BA lifetime status?

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LHR
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=DOH
Thanks for your replies so far - I am also especially interested to find out what's best for my wife.

I believe she would only need 300 TP with QR to qualify for OW Sapphire vs. 600 with BAEC and in example, we get the same 70 TP for a CE return to Germany from the UK, so I think in practical terms she would get the same status with half the TP requirement? 300 TP I see as manageable for her, she won't get 600 a year.

For Lifetime, I am at least 5 years away given how I forecast my travel.... for my wife several more years. I have plenty of BA points but mostly never use them, so redemptions are not key, I mostly interested how I can get OW Sapphire for my wife so she can enjoy it for her travels without me (assuming we have any lounges available in the next year

So my thinking was if QR would allow my wife to get her Sapphire with half of the requirements, maybe I join QR as well given my regular flights to Doha.

Does my thinking make any sense when I see it purely from the 'how to get Sapphire fastest (and for me potentially Emerald)' perspective?
Old May 17, 20, 4:18 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
I believe she would only need 300 TP with QR to qualify for OW Sapphire vs. 600 with BAEC and in example, we get the same 70 TP for a CE return to Germany from the UK, so I think in practical terms she would get the same status with half the TP requirement? 300 TP I see as manageable for her, she won't get 600 a year.
She “only” need 300 Qpoints (QR tier points) to get QR Gold=OW Sapphire, BUT she will earn less Qpoints per flight than BA Tier points. A LHR-FRA return in CE will only give her 24 Qpoints.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4 View Post
She “only” need 300 Qpoints (QR tier points) to get QR Gold=OW Sapphire, BUT she will earn less Qpoints per flight than BA Tier points. A LHR-FRA return in CE will only give her 24 Qpoints.
Thanks Matt

Having a lazy sunday morning in bed so I found the Q points calculator - and you are absolutely right, a CE return in Europe only gives 24 points so after 10 flights not really close to Gold, whilst BA gives you 700 TP so well over the Silver threshold then.

Guess we'll stick with BAEC then - thanks for all your replies (I could have answered the question myself though by doing better research)
NoY likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Thanks for your replies so far - I am also especially interested to find out what's best for my wife.

For Lifetime, I am at least 5 years away given how I forecast my travel.... for my wife several more years. I have plenty of BA points but mostly never use them, so redemptions are not key, I mostly interested how I can get OW Sapphire for my wife so she can enjoy it for her travels without me (assuming we have any lounges available in the next year

So my thinking was if QR would allow my wife to get her Sapphire with half of the requirements, maybe I join QR as well given my regular flights to Doha.

Does my thinking make any sense when I see it purely from the 'how to get Sapphire fastest (and for me potentially Emerald)' perspective?
If your main objective is earning status easily, I would advise you not to choose QRPC - BAEC is a much easier programme to earn status in. As noted by Matt4, LHR-FRA return in CE would earn you 24 Qpoints of the 300 required, therefore it would take 13 such trips to earn OWS through QRPC (12 trips to retain OWS due to the slightly reduced 270 Qpoint threshold). In contrast, the same return trip credited to BAEC would only take 8 trips to either earn or retain OWS.

That's before considering that you'd also earn 1,020 Qmiles per round trip in QRPC as OWS, but 2000 (R/I) or 3,000 (J/C/D) Avios per round trip in BAEC. And the BAEC Avios are more valuable than Qmiles per unit too. The calculations are similar at the OWE level (although slightly closer). The main value in QRPC is either i) flying QR long haul enough to be able to use the Qcredits for upgrades and ii) getting Al Safwa access as QRPC Platinum. If you can't use either of these benefits the program is beaten by almost any other oneworld loyalty scheme even if you mostly fly QR, but particularly BAEC and AAdvantage.

Edit: I see you already decided. Correct choice!
Duck1981 and Mwenenzi like this.
Old May 17, 20, 8:29 am
ECR

If only around 5 years away from lifetime Gold with BA, I would be throwing everything at that whilst you are still traveling for work rather than splitting it elsewhere, particularly another oneworld programme. If you can't use the avios points for redemptions you can use them for other things such as hotels or reducing the cash price of flights so you can still earn tier points on them. Whilst neither of these are great value for money if you can't use the points for redemptions it might be work considering.

Another thing worth considering is flying BA rather than Qatar if your employer would let you fly in Premium Economy. Looking at a random couple of dates there was very little difference in price between Qatar Economy and BA Premium Economy. Perhaps if they don't want to pay the difference your employer might allow you to use your avios to reduce the cash fare down to the Qatar Economy fare level. In some ways Premium Economy is a sweet spot for earning tier points as you would get 180 for a return trip to Doha. If booked in Premium Economy you could also then use your avios to upgrade to business class in BA, subject to avios availibility.

If your wife is traveling in Club Europe on paid fares 8 return flights will get her BA Silver (OW Sapphire). If she is in Club Europe she will already have lounge access, priority boarding and fast track security where available, so OW Sapphire will offer her very little else apart from advanced seat selection and some extra baggage. Once she reaches OW Ruby at 4 return Club Europe flights she will have some degree of advance seat selection 7 days out.
Old May 17, 20, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ECR View Post
If only around 5 years away from lifetime Gold with BA, I would be throwing everything at that whilst you are still traveling for work rather than splitting it elsewhere, particularly another oneworld programme. If you can't use the avios points for redemptions you can use them for other things such as hotels or reducing the cash price of flights so you can still earn tier points on them. Whilst neither of these are great value for money if you can't use the points for redemptions it might be work considering.

Another thing worth considering is flying BA rather than Qatar if your employer would let you fly in Premium Economy. Looking at a random couple of dates there was very little difference in price between Qatar Economy and BA Premium Economy. Perhaps if they don't want to pay the difference your employer might allow you to use your avios to reduce the cash fare down to the Qatar Economy fare level. In some ways Premium Economy is a sweet spot for earning tier points as you would get 180 for a return trip to Doha. If booked in Premium Economy you could also then use your avios to upgrade to business class in BA, subject to avios availibility.

If your wife is traveling in Club Europe on paid fares 8 return flights will get her BA Silver (OW Sapphire). If she is in Club Europe she will already have lounge access, priority boarding and fast track security where available, so OW Sapphire will offer her very little else apart from advanced seat selection and some extra baggage. Once she reaches OW Ruby at 4 return Club Europe flights she will have some degree of advance seat selection 7 days out.
The similar cost point is currently a bit distorted currently. QR has zeroed out all there cheap tickets because of the super flexible policy so there prices currently might appear more expensive then they really are. Of course if his tickets are bought as fully flex or semi flex then what I said does not apply.
Old May 17, 20, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
If your main objective is earning status easily, I would advise you not to choose QRPC - BAEC is a much easier programme to earn status in. As noted by Matt4, LHR-FRA return in CE would earn you 24 Qpoints of the 300 required, therefore it would take 13 such trips to earn OWS through QRPC (12 trips to retain OWS due to the slightly reduced 270 Qpoint threshold). In contrast, the same return trip credited to BAEC would only take 8 trips to either earn or retain OWS.

That's before considering that you'd also earn 1,020 Qmiles per round trip in QRPC as OWS, but 2000 (R/I) or 3,000 (J/C/D) Avios per round trip in BAEC. And the BAEC Avios are more valuable than Qmiles per unit too. The calculations are similar at the OWE level (although slightly closer). The main value in QRPC is either i) flying QR long haul enough to be able to use the Qcredits for upgrades and ii) getting Al Safwa access as QRPC Platinum. If you can't use either of these benefits the program is beaten by almost any other oneworld loyalty scheme even if you mostly fly QR, but particularly BAEC and AAdvantage.

Edit: I see you already decided. Correct choice!
Thanks nevertheless !
Old May 17, 20, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ECR View Post

thank you!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: