Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unsure to credit BA to Mileage Plan or AAdvantage?

Old Jun 21, 19, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I'm flying AMS to LHR then to BNA tomorrow and unsure about the optimal way to credit my flight. Here are details:
  • Flying class H for both legs, marketed and operated by BA
  • I'm MVP Gold on Alaska and Gold flyer on AA metal
Any advice?

Separately, I initially credited my outbound flight to AA, which didn't earn quite as many miles as I hoped.
  • Flight here was DFW to LHR to AMS, business class D and J, respectively
Is there any way to retroactively move those already credited to my AA account to Alaska? I didn't realize they had such a solid bonus plan for business class flights.

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 21, 19, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:18 am
Original Poster

This site is great! Thank you. Form what I can tell, Alaska miles aren't worth what they used to be, and even though I'd be earning quite a bit less on AA (200% vs 70%), I'm based out of Nashville and may have a harder time using Alaska Miles long term.

This appears to focus on redeemable miles earned. From what I can tell online, both would earn 100% EQM/status qualifying miles with no changes to that based on the status level. Do you happen to know if that's accurate?
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
For Alaska, that’s true. You probably want to ask in the AA forum about their policies.
Old Jun 21, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
There are some elite mileage bonuses with AA, if this is helpful:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#mileagebonus
Old Jun 21, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by jbyrd0911 View Post
This site is great! Thank you. Form what I can tell, Alaska miles aren't worth what they used to be, and even though I'd be earning quite a bit less on AA (200% vs 70%), I'm based out of Nashville and may have a harder time using Alaska Miles long term.
Alaska miles may not be worth what they used to be, but AA miles are worth far less than they used to be, IMO, though it of course depends on exactly what you want to do with the miles. Each program has its plusses and minuses. As a very rough ballpark, I'd say AS miles have gone down in practical value for me personally (a coach flier; I don't redeem for premium cabins) from maybe 1.8 cents to maybe 1.5, while AA have gone from 1.6 to 1.0 or something. But YMMV (literally); being based in Nashville, AS miles are probably less useful to you (and certainly more difficult to earn) than they are for a west coast flyer, and that situation has gotten dramatically worse in the last couple years since AS and AA ended most of their reciprocal earning agreement.

Search this Thread