Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

what is the best replacement for AAdvantage ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the best replacement for AAdvantage ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Angry what is the best replacement for AAdvantage ?

Hi everyone

as result of the new changes for Executive Platinum AAdvantage , I am planning to join a new one world fidelity program.
May I ask which one will be the easiest to acquire Emerald level
Thanks for your reply
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by john1987
Hi everyone

as result of the new changes for Executive Platinum AAdvantage , I am planning to join a new one world fidelity program.
May I ask which one will be the easiest to acquire Emerald level
Thanks for your reply
It depends on your travel and fare class patterns. You should examine the requirements of the other programs and see how they match your travel.
One big advantage is OW Emerald on another airline will get you OW lounge access for North American itineraries. Of course, you will lose the ability to upgrade your NA flights based on EXP status

Last edited by mvoight; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I was a multi-year EXP, but 2 years ago I chose to credit my flights to BA. I normally purchase first (business) class domestic flights on AA, therefore I'm not concerned about upgrades. It's pretty easy to get 1500 TP if you do this. I fly to Europe 2-3 times per year on BA and that's how I get the required 4 BA segments. It's really nice being able to use the Flagship and One World first class lounges. I've found the best use of BA miles are to upgrade purchased flights (WT+ -> J, or J -> F). It works for me, but YMMV.
AA100k likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:22 am

I did the same as nachos and started crediting to BAEC. Once you hit silver (600TP) you get US domestic lounge access. And 600 TP isn’t a stretch. One r/t TATL on a BA codeshare, and a couple r/t domestics and you’re there.

YMMV if flying main cabin.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I was a multi-year EXP, but 2 years ago I chose to credit my flights to BA. I normally purchase first (business) class domestic flights on AA, therefore I'm not concerned about upgrades. It's pretty easy to get 1500 TP if you do this. I fly to Europe 2-3 times per year on BA and that's how I get the required 4 BA segments. It's really nice being able to use the Flagship and One World first class lounges. I've found the best use of BA miles are to upgrade purchased flights (WT+ -> J, or J -> F). It works for me, but YMMV.
It also depends where you're going to spend your miles.

I do the same thing with Qantas. I could maintain Emerald status with any of AA, BA or Qantas but so far Qantas has made the most sense. I don't really care about upgrades for US domestic flights with AA and, if it's a long enough flight that I would care, I just buy a first class ticket. All those accumulated Qantas points, combined with priority points upgrades for Platinum FF, make it cheap to fly in premium cabins on long haul trips into/out of Australia for personal travel.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Same on QF. Plus is after you qualify once, SC requirement drops to 1200. Have had both QF/AA for the past two years, likely not going for EXP next year for the first time in 12 years and just keeping QF WP as my business travel declines for a bit. Very easy to qualify if you fly paid premium. Only thing I'm really gonna miss is the 4 SWU's, but they have become such a pain to apply in advance it's not worth it to me any more. I'd rather have Flagship/QF F/Admirals lounge access I can use every time on my US domestics at this point.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I continue flying with AA even though this year I will hit 200K plus, because I want the miles to take my wife and myself to places
where we normally would not go
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Question to those EXPs who switched to BA: how did you handle the transition period? I should make EXP in December and my BA year starts 12/8. Do you use your AA status to get seating etc. and then credit to BA?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:30 am

I have a similar but slightly different question. any help would be appreciated.

JMB vs. AAdvantage
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no "better" or "worse" program. It depends on your flying patterns which includes fare buckets, class of service, international vs. domestic and a host of other factors. It also presupposes that other carriers will not change their program. While the specifics of the AA program may be unique to AA, there are many things which can change at BA or elsewhere. Nobody is looking to attract customers who are "unworthy" for AA, so watch for some fences to be erected in the coming 12-18 months.
boss315, Nicc HK and Dallas49er like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: CK or bust
If this thread were about replacing the name of the AAdvantage program, then AADisadvatange could be a worthy contender.
boss315 and SouthernCross like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:32 am

British Airways Executive Club

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/home#/
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Are you trying to earn miles for redemptions, or upgrades on flights, or lounge access, or change fee waivers? In other words what about your EXP (that PPro wouldn't get you at the new EQD level) are you trying to replace?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by warreng
It also depends where you're going to spend your miles.

I do the same thing with Qantas,...cheap to fly in premium cabins on long haul trips into/out of Australia for personal travel.
What??? Qantas is the world's worst program for redemptions. Worse even than AAdvantage because you'll need to stump up almost double the miles that AA charges, plus colossal carrier-charges in the hundreds/ thousands of dollars, that's if you're lucky enough to find a long-haul premium seat on Qantas anywhere. As for achieving OneWorld status, Qantas has a diabolically complicated earning chart which usually adds up to earning fewer miles than the distance, which means achieving Elite status is not a slam-dunk. But their lounges are nice.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
The thing with BAEC is knowing when your Tier Point year runs - a calendar year is much easier to track than a year that ends (in my case today).

However, I will reach EXP tomorrow and I am very tempted to accrue BAEC points on my December flight (215 Tier points for one round trip).

The question I have, like someone else is whether I can use my EXP benefits next year if I am crediting to BAEC? Most of my flights are TATL on BA and AA (with connecting domestic flights on AA of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.