FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what is the best replacement for AAdvantage ?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:32 am
warreng

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I was a multi-year EXP, but 2 years ago I chose to credit my flights to BA. I normally purchase first (business) class domestic flights on AA, therefore I'm not concerned about upgrades. It's pretty easy to get 1500 TP if you do this. I fly to Europe 2-3 times per year on BA and that's how I get the required 4 BA segments. It's really nice being able to use the Flagship and One World first class lounges. I've found the best use of BA miles are to upgrade purchased flights (WT+ -> J, or J -> F). It works for me, but YMMV.
It also depends where you're going to spend your miles.

I do the same thing with Qantas. I could maintain Emerald status with any of AA, BA or Qantas but so far Qantas has made the most sense. I don't really care about upgrades for US domestic flights with AA and, if it's a long enough flight that I would care, I just buy a first class ticket. All those accumulated Qantas points, combined with priority points upgrades for Platinum FF, make it cheap to fly in premium cabins on long haul trips into/out of Australia for personal travel.