Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Torn between BAEC and Marco Polo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Torn between BAEC and Marco Polo

I recently relocated to HK from mainland, I have been a silver fortune wings member for a few years now but with the increased availability of airlines in HK, I am looking to move to BAEC or MP.

I predominantly make short haul flights around south east Asia and 2-3 long haul flights to Europe each year. I currently make the use of the benefits of my status (lounge + extra luggage) rather than any air miles collected, is BAEC the better way to go? As I read that BAEC was easier to collect and maintain tier points compared to MP?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: Confirmed
Would the requirement of flying 4 BA/IB segments be a problem for you? If not, then BAEC is good.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Welcome.

BAEC is indeed a better choice, as you can qualify by flights.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Would the following for example HKG > LHR > EDI / EDI > LHR > HKG be counted as 4 qualifying?

For lounge access and extra luggage, I would need silver tier, would that be easy to get with BA? Compared to silver tier Marco Polo which requires 300?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by puddingcopter
Would the following for example HKG > LHR > EDI / EDI > LHR > HKG be counted as 4 qualifying?
Yes, as long as all are operated by BA, or at least are operated by CX but bought with a BA flight number
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by LiHS
Yes, as long as all are operated by BA, or at least are operated by CX but bought with a BA flight number
CX doesnt codeshare with BA on LHR-HKG vv.
LiHS likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:16 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Are you flying in economy or business class?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Frankly and sadly, I wonder if CX will survive this catastrophic downturn in traffic. The impossible seems possible.
wemyss likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Are you flying in economy or business class?
A mix of economy and premium with the odd business.

I do have the capacity to spend a few days doing tier point runs to speed up the process however, its just picking the right frequent flyer program first.

Am I be able to collect BAEC tier points flying with OneWorld partners such as a Cathay? Or would it only be British Airways that would award them?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Yes, you an earn TPs on all oneworld airlines.

Be aware that CX's cheaper economy buckets, especially K, L, M and V, earn notably fewer points in BAEC than in MPC.

E.g. for short haul (between 751 and 2000 mile) flights booked into K, you'd earn 20 club points in MPC, taking 30 46* such sectors to make sapphire. But in BAEC you'd earn 5 TPs, taking 120 such sectors to make sapphire.

On the other hand, a premium economy longer flight (but under 3700 miles) booked into E, you'd earn 90 TPs on BAEC, taking 7 such sectors to make sapphire. In MPC you'd earn that same 20 club points.

In particular, if you are just over 2000 miles on most flights than BAEC may well be better; if just under, MPC may well be better; but you will need to do the maths based on your own travel patterns.
puddingcopter likes this.

Last edited by typical; Feb 27, 2020 at 6:26 am Reason: Edited sectors needed to sapphire based on sxc's post
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:16 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX program will take you longer to go up the ranks. Have a look in the FAQ thread in the Cathay forum for more details on the “reset” mechanism as you move through the status tiers.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by typical
Yes, you an earn TPs on all oneworld airlines.

Be aware that CX's cheaper economy buckets, especially K, L, M and V, earn notably fewer points in BAEC than in MPC.

E.g. for short haul (between 751 and 2000 mile) flights booked into K, you'd earn 20 club points in MPC, taking 30 such sectors to make sapphire. But in BAEC you'd earn 5 TPs, taking 120 such sectors to make sapphire.

On the other hand, a premium economy longer flight (but under 3700 miles) booked into E, you'd earn 90 TPs on BAEC, taking 7 such sectors to make sapphire. In MPC you'd earn that same 20 club points.

In particular, if you are just over 2000 miles on most flights than BAEC may well be better; if just under, MPC may well be better; but you will need to do the maths based on your own travel patterns.
Thank you this is exactly the information I was looking for.

My dilemma is I would be flying lots of short haul flights such as Hong Kong to Japan (<2000m) or Hong Kong to Thailand (<1000m) so I would get less BAEC points compared to MP, but then when I fly long haul to UK, I would always get an extra leg each way as I'd transit Heathrow first compared to Cathay which could fly direct to Manchester for example and I would lose a leg.

I've read about the reset with MP but I would just want Silver with MP but for the equivalent lounge and baggage, I would need to get Silver with BAEC too but there's Bronze in the way...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bronze isn't "in the way" in BAEC. You don't reset the year when you level up.

Bear in mind the benefits of BAEC Silver are across oneworld airlines as oneworld Sapphire, whereas MPC Silver is only oneworld Ruby which doesn't really offer much. But if you mean that with MPC you'll direct your flights to CX only (and not, say, JL or MH or even BA or QR), that may not matter.
puddingcopter likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also Tokyo is less than 2000 miles from Hong Kong, but Sapporo is a little more.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Based in HKG, I think the difficult part for BAEC is the 4 BA segment, as well as the lower points earned on low CX fare buckets which you would encounter frequently. If you do enough flying, especially in premium, BAEC is easier to attain higher status than CX MPC.

On the other hand, being a CX MPC member and flying in CX metal, you might get a bit more op-ups than being a member of other OW airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.